Stitching problems with APG  

Share your tips and tricks here or get help with any Autopano Pro / Giga problem!
No bug reports (of any kind) in this forum!
no avatar
Boley

Topic author
Liked in: 0 post
Info

Stitching problems with APG

by Boley » Tue Oct 15, 2013 10:36 am

My first attempt at stiching at a larger Pano and after spending countless days at creating a pano I have hit a brick wall and was hoping that someone may provide some clues as to why I am having this problem. Some details on the Pano:

68 images shot in landscape format (approx 50% overlap) I suspect this may be too much overlap
Used tripod but not with pano head
Shot 4 rows and should be 17 shots per row however the bottom row is 16 images, the second row is 18 and the 3 and 4th have 17 (this is where my problem is occuring)
Images were lens corrected in Lighroom and saved as DNG file
Imported plugin using Gigapan selection and selected the correct sort order

The images have stitched together quite well except 17 on the bottom right needs to be moved the left end of the second row. I would think this is an easy issue to rectify it is where my problem lies. I have gone into the CP editor and linked it the image 18, 35 and 1. This just does not seem to work. The CPs are RED and when I optimise they continue to remain RED. I have moved the image to the correct location and then CP linking but this also does not work. I have changed various optimised settings but to no avail. Does the image move automatically to the right location after the correct links have been created?

I am stumpted and need some ideas, any assistance would be greatly appreciated.
I would add a screenshot of the stitched image but not sure how to include on this Page.

Robert

no avatar
mediavets

Liked in: 130 posts
Info

Re: Stitching problems with APG

by mediavets » Tue Oct 15, 2013 11:34 am

Boley wrote:
I am stumpted and need some ideas, any assistance would be greatly appreciated.
I would add a screenshot of the stitched image but not sure how to include on this Page.

Robert

here:
Attachments
1-kolorforum-addimage.jpg
1-kolorforum-addimage.jpg (212.46 KiB) Viewed 2345 times

no avatar
mediavets

Info

by mediavets » Tue Oct 15, 2013 11:42 am

Boley wrote:My first attempt at stiching at a larger Pano and after spending countless days at creating a pano I have hit a brick wall and was hoping that someone may provide some clues as to why I am having this problem. Some details on the Pano:

68 images shot in landscape format (approx 50% overlap) I suspect this may be too much overlap

25-30% is enough - more can cause problems.

Used tripod but not with pano head

Depending on the nature of teh scene and the camera/lens combo you used this may or may not be the cause of problems.

Shot 4 rows and should be 17 shots per row however the bottom row is 16 images, the second row is 18 and the 3 and 4th have 17 (this is where my problem is occuring).

Images were lens corrected in Lighroom and saved as DNG file
Imported plugin using Gigapan selection and selected the correct sort order

Don't lens correct before stitching.

I am surprised you were able to use the Gigapan import wizard because I thought that demanded a regular grid of images - same number of images in each row. What happens if you don't use the Gigapan Import wizard?

The images have stitched together quite well except 17 on the bottom right needs to be moved the left end of the second row. I would think this is an easy issue to rectify it is where my problem lies. I have gone into the CP editor and linked it the image 18, 35 and 1. This just does not seem to work. The CPs are RED and when I optimise they continue to remain RED. I have moved the image to the correct location and then CP linking but this also does not work. I have changed various optimised settings but to no avail. Does the image move automatically to the right location after the correct links have been created?

A screenshot may help determine the nature of the problem.
Last edited by mediavets on Tue Oct 15, 2013 3:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

no avatar
Boley

Topic author
Info

by Boley » Tue Oct 15, 2013 1:46 pm

Please see attached screenshot of my problem Pano. Also ghosting on some of the boats that moved during the shoot. Can that be rectified in APG or Photoshop.

Robert
Attachments
Pano.pdf
(480.88 KiB) Downloaded 80 times

no avatar
mediavets

Info

by mediavets » Tue Oct 15, 2013 2:44 pm

Boley wrote:Please see attached screenshot of my problem Pano. Also ghosting on some of the boats that moved during the shoot. Can that be rectified in APG or Photoshop.

Robert

Weird idea to use a PDF attachment, but...

Typical pano that might cause problems - lots of 'featureless' images for which APG is unable to create links

Could you not simply leave out image 17 - it may be entirely redundant?

Those ares of the scene closest to the camera are those where you are most likely to see parallax errors because you were not using a proper pano head.

APG should be able to manage the ghosting. look into using the Mask tools.

no avatar
HansKeesom

Liked in: 2 posts
Info

by HansKeesom » Tue Oct 15, 2013 3:28 pm

Hi,

Have you tried the stitching with the images as they came out of the camera?
Regards, Hans Keesom
I stitch and render for other photographers. Price: 25 euro or less, no cure no pay. If you want to concentrate on your business let me do the stitching for you. Free TB of Dropbox space when you have more then 250 euro business a year.

no avatar
Boley

Topic author
Info

by Boley » Tue Oct 15, 2013 9:03 pm

mediavets wrote:
Boley wrote:Please see attached screenshot of my problem Pano. Also ghosting on some of the boats that moved during the shoot. Can that be rectified in APG or Photoshop.

Robert

Weird idea to use a PDF attachment, but...

Typical pano that might cause problems - lots of 'featureless' images for which APG is unable to create links

Could you not simply leave out image 17 - it may be entirely redundant?

Those ares of the scene closest to the camera are those where you are most likely to see parallax errors because you were not using a proper pano head.

APG should be able to manage the ghosting. look into using the Mask tools.

Thank you for looking at the Pano.
I agree I could leave out 17 but I was wondering why I was unable to relocate it. If the issue is as simple as parallax, I am satisfied but I was worried that I was doing something wrong. This pano stitch was more of an exercise on stitching as I am looking at purchasing a pano head. Appreciate your help.

Robert

no avatar
Boley

Topic author
Info

by Boley » Tue Oct 15, 2013 9:08 pm

HansKeesom wrote:Hi,

Yes I tried that originally but because there were about 6 images of the water that had little detail the APG could not find CPs and placed them anywhere it felt and I was left with a stitch much worse that the one using the plugin. Is there any way that you can force the sofware to stitch the images in the order they are selected?

no avatar
mediavets

Info

by mediavets » Tue Oct 15, 2013 9:23 pm

Boley wrote:

Yes I tried that originally but because there were about 6 images of the water that had little detail the APG could not find CPs and placed them anywhere it felt and I was left with a stitch much worse that the one using the plugin. Is there any way that you can force the sofware to stitch the images in the order they are selected?

No.

Inherently APP/APG doesn't 'know' or care about the order of the images, As I understand it the SIFT-based control point detection system just looks fro matching features bwteen images..

The Import wizards add 'structure' which is why APP/APG can then place 'featureless' images.

I suspect in this case that the constraints imposed by the Gigapan Import wizard may be in play.

no avatar
Boley

Topic author
Info

by Boley » Tue Oct 15, 2013 9:47 pm

It would be a great if APG had a feature where the pugin had a function where individual image orders could be changed. This would certainly help this particuar issue.

no avatar
mediavets

Info

by mediavets » Tue Oct 15, 2013 10:07 pm

Boley wrote:It would be a great if APG had a feature where the plugin had a function where individual image orders could be changed. This would certainly help this particuar issue.

If you plan to shoot a lot of this type of pano with longer focal length lenses, then I recommend that you get a robotic pano head that is supported with an Import Wizard in APP/APG.

no avatar
HansKeesom

Info

by HansKeesom » Tue Oct 15, 2013 10:31 pm

Boley wrote:

Dropbox them to me and I see if I can fix it later this week.
Regards, Hans Keesom
I stitch and render for other photographers. Price: 25 euro or less, no cure no pay. If you want to concentrate on your business let me do the stitching for you. Free TB of Dropbox space when you have more then 250 euro business a year.

no avatar
Boley

Topic author
Info

by Boley » Tue Oct 15, 2013 11:16 pm

no avatar
HansKeesom

Info

by HansKeesom » Tue Oct 15, 2013 11:34 pm

Boley wrote:Thanks Hans, greatly appreciated.
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/m8nhxz3xqplw4zb/fERe_K7OSV

Many are still 0 bytes. Please share the folder with hans@alsofjeerbent.nl so that I get other files too and can return the results
Regards, Hans Keesom

no avatar
Boley

Topic author
Info

by Boley » Wed Oct 16, 2013 2:05 am

Sorry Hans, slow interent here, give it a while for them to sync. I have shared folder to your email address.

Thanks

no avatar
HansKeesom

Info

by HansKeesom » Sun Oct 20, 2013 7:26 pm

Boley wrote:Sorry Hans, slow interent here, give it a while for them to sync. I have shared folder to your email address.

Thanks

Hi the resulting .pano file should be back with you. I assume you can do the render yourself.
Regards, Hans Keesom