Serious vignetting issue  

Share your tips and tricks here or get help with any Autopano Pro / Giga problem!
No bug reports (of any kind) in this forum!
no avatar
Track
Member
 
Topic author
Posts: 100
Likes: 0 post
Liked in: 0 post
Joined: Thu Sep 16, 2010 2:04 pm
Info

Serious vignetting issue

by Track » Sun Sep 22, 2013 5:04 pm

This is more of a general photography question, but it's not noticeable in just one shot. You only really see it when stitched.

I was shooting 300mm with my Canon 75-300 f/5.3 lens and I didn't notice until I saw it in the preview, but the panorama is basically ruined.

What caused this?



no avatar
lumelix
Member
 
Posts: 528
Likes: 0 post
Liked in: 0 post
Joined: Mon Oct 25, 2010 5:51 pm
Location: Switzerland
Info

by lumelix » Sun Sep 22, 2013 5:15 pm

Hi Track
You are working through all possible errors you can do when shooting panoramas ;)
This is clearly vignetting from your zoom lens. You can see it also when move two images
one above the other e.g. in Photoshop.
Zoom lenses aren't first choice for shooting panoramas because most of them have a lot of vignetting.
You can try to correct the vignetting of the single images with Canon Software or Photoshop. The result will be better after this.
Regards
Martin

no avatar
Track
Member
 
Topic author
Posts: 100
Likes: 0 post
Liked in: 0 post
Joined: Thu Sep 16, 2010 2:04 pm
Info

by Track » Sun Sep 22, 2013 6:57 pm

lumelix wrote:Hi Track
You are working through all possible errors you can do when shooting panoramas ;)

Haha. Yes. Thus is the process of learning :)

lumelix wrote:Zoom lenses aren't first choice for shooting panoramas because most of them have a lot of vignetting.

That might be true, but finding a 300mm prime lens is impossible for a decent price.

Besides, I've shot 300mm plenty of times, sometimes even with a 2x adapter (600mm), and I've never had a single issue..

lumelix wrote:You can try to correct the vignetting of the single images with Canon Software or Photoshop. The result will be better after this.

I've tried, but the result is never as good as I would like..

How come this only started happening right now?

no avatar
lumelix
Member
 
Posts: 528
Likes: 0 post
Liked in: 0 post
Joined: Mon Oct 25, 2010 5:51 pm
Location: Switzerland
Info

by lumelix » Sun Sep 22, 2013 11:53 pm

Track wrote:How come this only started happening right now?

Perhaps you have shooted with open aperture or with a wrong lens hood?
Btw: There are some used and cheap (around 800$ up) EF 300mm 4L USM f/4 teles in ebay.
With this fixed lenses you get better results at 300mm as with the zoom an converter at 600mm!
And with much less pictures ;)
Regards
Martin

no avatar
Track
Member
 
Topic author
Posts: 100
Likes: 0 post
Liked in: 0 post
Joined: Thu Sep 16, 2010 2:04 pm
Info

by Track » Mon Sep 23, 2013 1:36 am

lumelix wrote:
Track wrote:How come this only started happening right now?

Perhaps you have shooted with open aperture or with a wrong lens hood?
Btw: There are some used and cheap (around 800$ up) EF 300mm 4L USM f/4 teles in ebay.
With this fixed lenses you get better results at 300mm as with the zoom an converter at 600mm!
And with much less pictures ;)

Well, I do have a Sigma 150-500mm lens. It cost me 1,000$.

no avatar
con
Member
 
Posts: 77
Likes: 0 post
Liked in: 0 post
Joined: Mon Jun 13, 2011 2:27 pm
Location: Dublin, Ireland
Info

by con » Mon Sep 23, 2013 9:36 am

Quite simply correct the vignetting by using lens correction parameters in Photoshop or Lightroom (or whatever suits) - then you'll start stitching with clean jpgs.
I'd also have a closer look at blending options as this would have quite a different results I'd imagine.

User avatar
gkaefer
Member
 
Posts: 3549
Likes: 0 post
Liked in: 15 posts
Joined: Tue Jun 09, 2009 1:01 pm
Location: Salzburg
Info

by gkaefer » Mon Sep 23, 2013 10:11 am

or use the plugin in apg...
Georg

User avatar
renan
Kolor Team
 
Posts: 362
Likes: 0 post
Liked in: 1 post
Joined: Mon Jan 05, 2009 1:57 pm
Info

by renan » Mon Sep 23, 2013 10:26 am

I'm interested by having your pictures as case study.
If you can upload them :
http://www.kolor.com/forum/t766-ftp-server

no avatar
Track
Member
 
Topic author
Posts: 100
Likes: 0 post
Liked in: 0 post
Joined: Thu Sep 16, 2010 2:04 pm
Info

by Track » Mon Sep 23, 2013 11:08 am

renan wrote:I'm interested by having your pictures as case study.
If you can upload them :
http://www.kolor.com/forum/t766-ftp-server

It's a big panorama - 126 pictures. You want all of them or just a section?

Also, if someone has a tutorial on how to perform lens correction via Photoshop, I'd appreciate it.

User avatar
renan
Kolor Team
 
Posts: 362
Likes: 0 post
Liked in: 1 post
Joined: Mon Jan 05, 2009 1:57 pm
Info

by renan » Mon Sep 23, 2013 12:09 pm

Track wrote:It's a big panorama - 126 pictures. You want all of them or just a section?

Just a part can be useful. May be with one .pano file to exactly reproce this blend.
Thanks.

no avatar
con
Member
 
Posts: 77
Likes: 0 post
Liked in: 0 post
Joined: Mon Jun 13, 2011 2:27 pm
Location: Dublin, Ireland
Info

by con » Mon Sep 23, 2013 9:38 pm

Track wrote:Also, if someone has a tutorial on how to perform lens correction via Photoshop, I'd appreciate it.

PS CS5
Filter> Lens Correction>

and then from in there find your lens from the list and it should have defaults to remove vignetting and pin cushion effect ascociated with that lens, you can also manually increase the effect using sliders etc. Its all pretty intuitive

no avatar
lumelix
Member
 
Posts: 528
Likes: 0 post
Liked in: 0 post
Joined: Mon Oct 25, 2010 5:51 pm
Location: Switzerland
Info

by lumelix » Mon Sep 23, 2013 11:02 pm

Track wrote:Also, if someone has a tutorial on how to perform lens correction via Photoshop, I'd appreciate it.

Next lesson: Use GOOGLE!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0kTXtwBaq-I
:)
Regards
Martin


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests

cron