Problem with seam after postprocessing in autopano  

Share your tips and tricks here or get help with any Autopano Pro / Giga problem!
No bug reports (of any kind) in this forum!
no avatar
Katerina

Topic author
Liked in: 0 post
Info

Problem with seam after postprocessing in autopano

by Katerina » Thu Aug 29, 2013 3:37 am

Hi,
I'm pretty new in 360 pano. I'm not testing the two programs - PTGui and APG. I like better APG but I have problem with my HDR process in Lightroom. MY workflow is shooting in raw with 3 brackets, then uploading to APG, stitching using the three layers, using HDR Fusion and creating tif file. This file I colortoning and processing in Lightroom. Unfortunately the lightroom treats the edges differently then APG. Once I upload colortoned panorama to Panotour, I"m getting one seam, mostly visible on sky.
This youtube is explaining how to get rid off the seam in PTGUI http://youtu.be/Tryeda115Lw but I really like working in APG. I can duplicate it part off it in APG but I can set the yaw and pitch to straight back the processed pano. I cant effort to purchase to softwares. Is there a solution in APG.

Thank you for your help, Katerina

klausesser

Liked in: 64 posts
Info

by klausesser » Thu Aug 29, 2013 3:37 pm

Katerina wrote:Hi,
I'm pretty new in 360 pano. I'm not testing the two programs - PTGui and APG. I like better APG but I have problem with my HDR process in Lightroom. MY workflow is shooting in raw with 3 brackets, then uploading to APG, stitching using the three layers, using HDR Fusion and creating tif file. This file I colortoning and processing in Lightroom. Unfortunately the lightroom treats the edges differently then APG. Once I upload colortoned panorama to Panotour, I"m getting one seam, mostly visible on sky.
This youtube is explaining how to get rid off the seam in PTGUI http://youtu.be/Tryeda115Lw but I really like working in APG. I can duplicate it part off it in APG but I can set the yaw and pitch to straight back the processed pano. I cant effort to purchase to softwares. Is there a solution in APG.

Thank you for your help, Katerina

Given your shooting and processing is correct there will no seams appear in APG at all. I guess your issue comes from a part in your processig the images before stitching.

Shoot you brackets, process them in Photomatix to HDR and tonemap them in Photomatix. Then feed them to APG. That´s all. I NEVER had any issue
with this workflow for 6 years now.

When you shoot RAW use LR to make the RAW to TIFF and process the TIFF-brackets in Photomatix - tonemap them and save the results as 16bit/TIFFs.
These TIFFs you can stitch in APG and save the result - without fusioning, you did that already better by tonemapping - as TIFF, PSD or PSB . . depending on the size.

best, Klaus
Simplicity is the keynote of all true elegance. Coco Chanel

no avatar
Katerina

Topic author
Info

by Katerina » Sat Aug 31, 2013 5:53 am

Hi, thank you for your advice. I'll try your workflow. The only problem is I don't have photomatix. I download the trial version and I'll test it.
I do not process pictures before stitching, I stitch raw files with three brackets. use HDR Fusion in APG. If I take the final file to PTP there is no seam but once I open it in LR, do some color toning and then I upload to PTP then I see seam. The reason for the seam is that LR does not know the edge is part of 360 panorama and toning each edge differently. There is the trick in PT GUI which get rid off the seam. Basically I need to make to file one straight and the second one with Yaw 180 and roll 90. both tone them in LR and then back to PTGUI, first the one with the YAW and Roll, straight it up by applying the same yaw 180 and roll 90 and them open the second straight one do some masking and sticht them together. I would like to duplicate the same thing in APG but I dont know if I can open only one picture, apply the Yaw and roll and add the second one. If someone knows how to do it, please let me know. Thank you, Katerina

klausesser

Liked in: 64 posts
Info

by klausesser » Sat Aug 31, 2013 11:40 am

Katerina wrote:Hi, thank you for your advice. I'll try your workflow. The only problem is I don't have photomatix. I download the trial version and I'll test it.
I do not process pictures before stitching, I stitch raw files with three brackets. use HDR Fusion in APG. If I take the final file to PTP there is no seam but once I open it in LR, do some color toning and then I upload to PTP then I see seam. The reason for the seam is that LR does not know the edge is part of 360 panorama and toning each edge differently. There is the trick in PT GUI which get rid off the seam. Basically I need to make to file one straight and the second one with Yaw 180 and roll 90. both tone them in LR and then back to PTGUI, first the one with the YAW and Roll, straight it up by applying the same yaw 180 and roll 90 and them open the second straight one do some masking and sticht them together. I would like to duplicate the same thing in APG but I dont know if I can open only one picture, apply the Yaw and roll and add the second one. If someone knows how to do it, please let me know. Thank you, Katerina

What filetype do you need to work with in the end? Do you NEED .exr/.hdr for IBL in CGI?

Klaus
Simplicity is the keynote of all true elegance. Coco Chanel

no avatar
Katerina

Topic author
Info

by Katerina » Sat Aug 31, 2013 8:13 pm

Hi, i create 2 tif files in APG and then open them in LR where I color tone them and thats where problem comes. I'm sending you the three pictures.

The first one is after processing in LR. The line is visible.
The second one is after blending and applying mask in PTGUI. No lines.
The third one is straight from APG after the bracket pics are stitched together the HDR fusion is applied. HDR is good but the colors not so good.

I'm just starting with the panorama and working with trial versions. I cant effort to buy both softwares PTGUI and APG. I really like the workflow of APG. It seems to me more automated. But if I can correct the error caused in LR I will have to go with PTGUI. Unfortunately I'm not that familiar with the program, maybe there is the way to do it in APG and I just don't know how.

I also tried to do the final blend in Hugin but it crashes all the time. I'm on MAc Lion 10.7.5

Thank you so much for your help, Katerina

Last edited by Katerina on Sat Aug 31, 2013 8:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.