APP 3.0.5 - GPU Processing under Windows XP Professional 32-bit SP3  

Share your tips and tricks here or get help with any Autopano Pro / Giga problem!
No bug reports (of any kind) in this forum!
no avatar
Ridgeback

Topic author
Liked in: 0 post
Info

APP 3.0.5 - GPU Processing under Windows XP Professional 32-bit SP3

by Ridgeback » Sun Jun 23, 2013 6:52 pm

I cannot be certain if this is a bug or a hardware compatibility issue, so please be patient with me folks! ;)

I have used APP 2.0.9 and 2.6.4 on my laptop for a long time now, and with very few issues. My panoramas are for personal use and usually only have a few photos within, all taken with pocket cameras, so no big fancy stuff. My fairly elderly Vaio laptop has a GPU mode, and when switched on, I have actived the GPU Processing mode of APP and been able to gain the noticeable extra editing speed. Occasionally, after editing a panorama, I have been unable to actually see the next panorama in the preview or editing windows. Shutting APP down, and then reopening it has cured that 'visual' problem.

My major problem has occured with a recent upgrade to APP 3.0.5 and I have now found that I cannot even get past selection of the GPU Processing mode in Settings Menu>General>GPU Processing. As son as I attempt to click the 'Enable' selection (with my hardware GPU mode already up and running) I get a popup that states "GPU Error - The shader program can't be compiled". Darn! Computer says "No!"

I cannot even get to the position of being be able to click on the accompanying 'Compatibility' mode (though I never had to even do that in APP 2.6.4 - worked fine without it!). I am stopped dead at the first hurdle!

Can anyone help with this? Thanks folks!

This is my (limited) hardware setup, on the Vaio laptop - don't laugh, some of us may be limited for cash:

Windows XP Professional 32-bit SP3
Intel Core Duo T2500 @ 2.00GHz
Intel Mobile Intel 945GM Express Chipset Family - Driver version 6.14.10.4421
2 GB Ram DDR2

no avatar
mediavets

Liked in: 130 posts
Info

by mediavets » Sun Jun 23, 2013 7:24 pm

2GB is the new min. RAM requirement for APG 3.0.5.

APG 3.0.5 seems to be much more demanding of hardware than 2.6.4.

I fidn that panos that I can stitch easily using APG 2.6.4 cannot be stitched with 3.0.5 on my WinXP/32 system which has 4GB RAM.

Your GPU experience is not uncommon on laptops which don't work with generic graphics drivers as laptop makers seldom seem to update their graphics drivers.

I think I would recommend that you stick with 2.6.4 on your laptop. I think you need a pretty powerful and up-to-date laptop to get anywhere with APG 3.0.5.

It's looking very much as if you really need a 64-bit OS and 8GB RAM min. to run APG 3.0.5 reasonably well.
Andrew Stephens
Many different Nodal Ninja and Agnos pano heads. Merlin/Panogear mount with Papywizard on Nokia Internet tablets.
Nikon D5100 and D40, Sigma 8mm f3.5 FE, Nikon 10.5mm FE, 35mm, 50mm, 18-55mm, 70-210mm. Promote control.

no avatar
Ridgeback

Topic author
Liked in: 0 post
Info

by Ridgeback » Mon Jun 24, 2013 3:24 pm

Andrew, thanks for that information. It is kind of what I was expecting.

mediavets wrote:2GB is the new min. RAM requirement for APG 3.0.5.

That is interesting. I have already used APP 3.0.5 on several small panos when not using GPU procecessing mode. I assume you mean 2 GB as a min with GPU Processing?

mediavets wrote:I think you need a pretty powerful and up-to-date laptop to get anywhere with APG 3.0.5.

It's looking very much as if you really need a 64-bit OS and 8GB RAM min. to run APG 3.0.5 reasonably well.

Wouldn't we all like a new and more powerful laptop! Such a shame they actually cost money! I will get there eventually, just not right now. ;)

Thanks again for your help.
Last edited by Ridgeback on Mon Jun 24, 2013 3:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

AlexandreJ
Kolor Team

Liked in: 10 posts
Info

by AlexandreJ » Mon Jun 24, 2013 5:40 pm

One note. On v3, GPU is on by default, as many edition within the editor is faster with than in CPU mode.
Switching to CPU mode in general setting is helping on older configuration. It will be slower, but it will work better on smaller configuration.
You can stitch more panoramas in CPU mode ( pano column ) than in GPU mode. It costs more RAM to use GPU than CPU.
We advise to use a 64bits OS. On 32bits computer, even if you have 4GB memory, we cannot use it (1.2 GB at most can be used).