new MacPro good for APG :-)  

Share your tips and tricks here or get help with any Autopano Pro / Giga problem!
No bug reports (of any kind) in this forum!
no avatar
HansKeesom

Liked in: 2 posts
Info

by HansKeesom » Tue Jun 11, 2013 1:28 pm

klausesser wrote:
HansKeesom wrote:
klausesser wrote:Hans - once more i get a feeling you´re a somewhat bitter, old fashioned man who sometimes likes to complain feeling offended . . . while
he offends others and seems not to realize it.

Klaus

And as predicted, hell cames over me...... so predictable......
I think you are describing yourself here. Maybe your monitor is too reflective and you saw an old bitter experienced photographer and thought it was me hahahahaha..

Do I feel offended? No I can't be offended by other people's words or actions, it describes them, not me.

you seem to like this hahahahahing a lot . . :rolleyes::rolleyes::cool::cool:

Too much honor connecting me to hell . . hahahah :lol:

Klaus

Absolutely, I laugh a lot about people that take themselves to serious. A the same time they need to be ridiculised and humbled. If not they leave no room to other opinions and bad things happen.
Regards, Hans Keesom
I stitch and render for other photographers. Price: 25 euro or less, no cure no pay. If you want to concentrate on your business let me do the stitching for you. Free TB of Dropbox space when you have more then 250 euro business a year.

Christian Stüben

Liked in: 9 posts
Info

by Christian Stüben » Tue Jun 11, 2013 1:33 pm

HansKeesom wrote:The latest lamborghini maybe the fastest car in the world, for the same price I can buy lot's of volkswagen polo's.

To all friends and enemies...
i think we should break this overheated discussion until end of year. (then we can start another mac vs. win thread)

Until now, i don´t have seen a pricing list for the new Mac. Only with the price list we can decide if the new Mac will be the totally-overpriced-lamborghini-braggard, a reasonable-decision-porsche-911, or the low-end-polo :P

greetings from germany
Chris

(duck and cover)
Last edited by Christian Stüben on Tue Jun 11, 2013 1:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
---
always remember, the world is a flat disk.

no avatar
Destiny

Liked in: 228 posts
Info

by Destiny » Tue Jun 11, 2013 1:35 pm

... well thats at bit of a nonsense statement Klaus... I could reciprocate that and ask... Why is the new Mac Pro good for APG.. what is wrong with the old one. Does this mean that we all need to buy a new Mac pro to use APG.. after all.. it "Looks very great"... :rolleyes: You just drop an image into this tread with NO explanation at all, like why is it.. ??? What will the user achieve by buying a Mac Pro with this new technology.. But the truth is.. You do not really know how it will compare!! or what the advantages are in using this new technology with APG because you do not own one anyway, so you just do not know!!.. :rolleyes:

Destiny..

klausesser wrote:
Destiny wrote:Chris, you said it sooo well.. I love my iMac too.. In fact I would love to buy a new Apple pro but.. $$ Since I have been using Apple I would probably never go back to Windows.. However, I hate the way Apple tried to be a big bully with Samsung et al over stupid things... Apply needs to be careful since people do not like bullies and I partially hate them, and accordingly Apples shares have lost 50% in the past 9 months but since they apparently have 100 Billion in the bank I doubt if they would care what their customers think about bullies..

And. I too like to laugh Chris, so.. ... :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol: :P

Destiny..

In which way is your bank account related to technology???

This is kindergarden, Destiny, sorry.

Klaus

klausesser

Topic author
Liked in: 64 posts
Info

by klausesser » Tue Jun 11, 2013 1:39 pm

HansKeesom wrote:
klausesser wrote:
HansKeesom wrote:And as predicted, hell cames over me...... so predictable......
I think you are describing yourself here. Maybe your monitor is too reflective and you saw an old bitter experienced photographer and thought it was me hahahahaha..

Do I feel offended? No I can't be offended by other people's words or actions, it describes them, not me.

you seem to like this hahahahahing a lot . . :rolleyes::rolleyes::cool::cool:

Too much honor connecting me to hell . . hahahah :lol:

Klaus

Absolutely, I laugh a lot about people that take themselves to serious. A the same time they need to be ridiculised and humbled. If not they leave no room to other opinions and bad things happen.

Hans - once more i see you´re not able to discuss on a rational base. You need to use "The Germans", "The AppleUsers", "The . . whatever" - not being able to stay with
clear functional items and discuss about THEM.
Seems you NEED to become personal - that´s not the way i prefer to discuss and handle things.

So i´m pulling out of that thread - which you and Destiny so nicely occupied for telling the community your personal views of MacPro machines, Germans and pro-gadgets and so on.

Klaus
Simplicity is the keynote of all true elegance. Coco Chanel

no avatar
HansKeesom

Info

by HansKeesom » Tue Jun 11, 2013 1:39 pm

Christian Stüben wrote:
HansKeesom wrote:The latest lamborghini maybe the fastest car in the world, for the same price I can buy lot's of volkswagen polo's.

To all friends and enemies...
i think we should break this overheated discussion until end of year.

Until now, i don´t have seen a pricing list for the new Mac. Only with the price list we can decide if the new Mac will be the totally-overpriced-lamborghini-braggard, a reasonable-decision-porsche-911, or the low-end-polo :P

greetings from germany
Chris

(duck and cover)

Indeed we do not know any prices yet.

My response was to the question "in which way is your bank account related to technology???"
I gave an answer to this question and in no way suggested the new Mac was a Lamborghini.
Regards, Hans Keesom
I stitch and render for other photographers. Price: 25 euro or less, no cure no pay. If you want to concentrate on your business let me do the stitching for you. Free TB of Dropbox space when you have more then 250 euro business a year.

Christian Stüben

Info

by Christian Stüben » Tue Jun 11, 2013 1:51 pm

HansKeesom wrote:My response was to the question "in which way is your bank account related to technology???"

My bank account is not related to technology. It is related to emptiness :(

In some way i must support Klaus, double speed is looking good. Double througput is looking good. Double and big video card is looking good. And i hope they double or quadruple the ram size from 64 gb maximum to ???, something much bigger. No, not true, this all is not looking good. It is looking very good.

Let us wait till end of year when some more precise tech specs and first user reports are in the wild. And a price list.

greetings from germany
Chris
Last edited by Christian Stüben on Tue Jun 11, 2013 1:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
---

klausesser

Topic author
Info

by klausesser » Tue Jun 11, 2013 1:52 pm

Destiny wrote:Why is the new Mac Pro good for APG..

Look at the specs. ANY machine with this specs is good for APG. One of the specs is: it´s quiet, very quiet due to the new cooling system.
Actually having a machine like a MacPro on the desktop definitely can not be quiet. Two graphic cards, four drives and 32GB RAM need cooling.
Every fan that can be avoided makes a machine more quiet when you need to have it ON the desktop instead of UNDER the desktop.

Destiny wrote:what is wrong with the old one.

Did i say there´s something "wrong with the old one"? Show me where i said that in this thread! The "old one" still is a great machine - fast and reliable.
But . . it´s out of date regarding the very new technologies. So *for me* this is the time for an update after 6 years of intense daily use - and i´m amazed by the ideas
behind the new MacPro. That´s all and nobody needs to agree.

Destiny wrote:Does this mean that we all need to buy a new Mac pro to use APG.. after all..

Destiny - what the hell are you talking here? Did i say anthing like "we all need to buy a new MacPro to use APG"??????????

This is really getting stupid, you know . . .

Klaus
Last edited by klausesser on Tue Jun 11, 2013 1:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

klausesser

Topic author
Info

by klausesser » Tue Jun 11, 2013 1:54 pm

Christian Stüben wrote:
HansKeesom wrote:My response was to the question "in which way is your bank account related to technology???"

In some way i must support Klaus, double speed is looking good. Double througput is looking good. Double and big video card is looking good. And i hope they double or quadruple the ram size from 64 gb maximum to ???, something much bigger. No, not true, this all is not looking good. It is looking very good.

Let us wait till end of year when some more precise tech specs and first user reports are in the wild. And a price list.

greetings from germany
Chris

Thank you, Chris. This is the first rational and intelligent reaction to my post.

best, Klaus

no avatar
HansKeesom

Info

by HansKeesom » Tue Jun 11, 2013 2:05 pm

Christian Stüben wrote:

greetings from germany
Chris

Hmmmm your relation with your bank account seems to be lacking something.........maybe your love for Apple it hurting it ;-)

Double speed etc is nice but can also be obtained by using a multi-CPU board. I am a bit worried about the fact there is no information on the maximum amount of RAM memory. When I see 4 connectors I think 32 GB, Klaus also said 32 GB. If it is indeed 32 GB then the title of this discussion can be questioned.
Regards, Hans Keesom

Christian Stüben

Info

by Christian Stüben » Tue Jun 11, 2013 2:18 pm

HansKeesom wrote:Hmmmm your relation with your bank account seems to be lacking something.........maybe your love for Apple it hurting it ;-)

or the contrary ... low budget is hurting the love to apple :P

HansKeesom wrote:Double speed etc is nice but can also be obtained by using a multi-CPU board. I am a bit worried about the fact there is no information on the maximum amount of RAM memory. When I see 4 connectors I think 32 GB, Klaus also said 32 GB. If it is indeed 32 GB then the title of this discussion can be questioned.

yes, agree. The maximum ram size will be one the most crucial points. The 32 gb (which would be a step back) Klaus mentioned ... i don´t interpret it as fact of the new Mac, but in relation to the fan cooling of the old one.

greetings
Chris
Last edited by Christian Stüben on Tue Jun 11, 2013 2:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
---

no avatar
HansKeesom

Info

by HansKeesom » Tue Jun 11, 2013 2:32 pm

Christian Stüben wrote:
HansKeesom wrote:Hmmmm your relation with your bank account seems to be lacking something.........maybe your love for Apple it hurting it ;-)

or the contrary ... low budget is hurting the love to apple :P
Chris

hmmmm, I think I have had relations like that ;-)

Christian Stüben wrote:
HansKeesom wrote:Double speed etc is nice but can also be obtained by using a multi-CPU board. I am a bit worried about the fact there is no information on the maximum amount of RAM memory. When I see 4 connectors I think 32 GB, Klaus also said 32 GB. If it is indeed 32 GB then the title of this discussion can be questioned.

yes, agree. The maximum ram size will be one the most crucial points. The 32 gb (which would be a step back) Klaus mentioned ... i don´t interpret it as fact of the new Mac, but in relation to the fan cooling of the old one.

greetings
Chris

I know it was in relation with the cooling* and that it has not been stated yet. Cruciall it is indeed. If it is 32 GB however i think it looses it's " reason d'etre"..... power users will stay with the old Macpro, portable users will go for macbook......... it then only earn a spot when it would be very cheap device stealing away market share from cheap windows machines.

*My watercooler fan tells me when the computer is done, it getting silent is a good indication :-) It is about 4 m away from my bed, I need to close the door when the machine is rendering at full speed ;-)
Regards, Hans Keesom

Christian Stüben

Info

by Christian Stüben » Tue Jun 11, 2013 3:01 pm

HansKeesom wrote:*My watercooler fan tells me when the computer is done, it getting silent is a good indication :-) It is about 4 m away from my bed, I need to close the door when the machine is rendering at full speed ;-)

And at least, you self give a good, maybe the best, argument for the fanless new Mac Pro :P

Ehm, yesss, it is fanless?

greetings from germany
Chris
---

no avatar
HansKeesom

Info

by HansKeesom » Tue Jun 11, 2013 3:19 pm

Christian Stüben wrote:
HansKeesom wrote:*My watercooler fan tells me when the computer is done, it getting silent is a good indication :-) It is about 4 m away from my bed, I need to close the door when the machine is rendering at full speed ;-)

And at least, you self give a good, maybe the best, argument for the fanless new Mac Pro :P

greetings from germany
Chris

Don't know. My fan is at 20% speed until cpu temp reaches 55 degrees. It then make a line to a 100% at 75 degrees. Performance is important and I don't want the cpu to slow down because it becames to hot. So if cooling needs to be done, it needs to be done.

I agree however that a case design that uses the fact that hot air goes up is a good one. Whether that is enough to keep cool and fast, I wonder though.
Regards, Hans Keesom

klausesser

Topic author
Info

by klausesser » Tue Jun 11, 2013 3:25 pm

I NOWHERE said something about the amount of RAM in the new MacPro. I said i have 32GB in MY machine.
Definitely there will be MUCH more RAM in the new MacPro. I guess it will be capable of at least 96GB or more.

Klaus

klausesser

Topic author
Info

by klausesser » Tue Jun 11, 2013 3:32 pm

Christian Stüben wrote:

greetings from germany
Chris

It has ONE fan:
http://www.apple.com/mac-pro/ (Navigation - nearly invisble - first down in the middle and then on the right side of the black screen. That seems a bit TOO much of design . . ).

Klaus

PS:

12GB of VRAM, Two GPU cards. This one rocks!!
Last edited by klausesser on Tue Jun 11, 2013 3:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

no avatar
HansKeesom

Info

by HansKeesom » Tue Jun 11, 2013 3:36 pm

Relax Klaus, stop shouting and read better.

In post #34 I said clearly "If it is indeed 32 GB ". Do you know the meaning of the word "if'" ?????? Getting a bit tired of debating things as if we are standing in a courtroom.

There is no knowlegde about the maximum amount of RAM in the new Macpro. It is an enigma at this moment. The only indication I have are the four slots. Four slots until now means 32 GB
a.f.a.i.k.
Regards, Hans Keesom

klausesser

Topic author
Info

by klausesser » Tue Jun 11, 2013 3:46 pm

HansKeesom wrote:Four slots until now means 32 GB
a.f.a.i.k.

It definitely not means just 32GB. That wouldn´t be acceptable. I guess they have a reason not to announce the amount of RAM
possible: i bet there are bigger RAM-bricks coming than just 8GB.

Logical steps would be at least 16 and/or 32GB bricks.

Klaus

PS
have a look on their site - once having revealed the strange navigation-bar you´ll see a most impressing construction.
Not only design-wise . . :cool:
Last edited by klausesser on Tue Jun 11, 2013 3:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

no avatar
HansKeesom

Info

by HansKeesom » Tue Jun 11, 2013 3:58 pm

klausesser wrote:
a.f.a.i.k.

It definitely not means just 32GB. That wouldn´t be acceptable.

Not being acceptable does not make it untrue. There are many things in the world that are not acceptable

klausesser wrote:I guess they have a reason not to announce the amount of RAM

So you are gonna show us a set of 4*16 GB? 4 *24 GB to get to the 96 GB you mentioned? 4 * 32 GB? I have not spotted such sets yet, but feel free to surprise me....

klausesser wrote:Logical steps would be at least 16 and/or 32GB bricks.

I hate to bring it to you but not everything is logical in this world

klausesser wrote:Klaus

PS
have a look on their site - once having revealed the strange navigation-bar you´ll see a most impressing construction.

Hmmm, I am not impressed, it looks like a garbage bin to me. But then again, I don't need to be impressed by the design of a computer. I rather be impressed by its specs.
Regards, Hans Keesom

klausesser

Topic author
Info

by klausesser » Tue Jun 11, 2013 4:23 pm

HansKeesom wrote:
klausesser wrote:
a.f.a.i.k.

It definitely not means just 32GB. That wouldn´t be acceptable.

Not being acceptable does not make it untrue. There are many things in the world that are not acceptable

klausesser wrote:I guess they have a reason not to announce the amount of RAM

So you are gonna show us a set of 4*16 GB? 4 *24 GB to get to the 96 GB you mentioned? 4 * 32 GB? I have not spotted such sets yet, but feel free to surprise me....

klausesser wrote:Logical steps would be at least 16 and/or 32GB bricks.

I hate to bring it to you but not everything is logical in this world

klausesser wrote:Klaus

PS

Hmmm, I am not impressed, it looks like a garbage bin to me. But then again, I don't need to be impressed by the design of a computer. I rather be impressed by its specs.

Hans - i´m not the wizzard of OZ (or where else) and so i can´t predict what will happen RAM-wise. But i definitely know that Apple is too clever to build machines of no greater capacity than the current ones. It would make no sense at all for a workstation.

So i can only guess - as you can. I guess it will be between 64 min and 128GB max. But as said: i can only guess. Definitely it will be enough for working very fast - hey: this is Apple! :cool:

When i said i was impressed i meant the specs AND the construction. Being a creative i care much for technically clever AND good design: Form follows function - that seems to impressively be the case here.

External extensions with 20GB/sec data transfer via Thunderbolt2 also are very clever and extremely flexible (up to 36 devices daisy-chained).

Klaus

gkaefer

Liked in: 15 posts
Info

by gkaefer » Tue Jun 11, 2013 5:21 pm

I like the design. hey 12 XEON cores with 4x16GB / 4x32GB / 4x64GB in an enclosure with 9.9"(H) and 6.6" (Diameter).
in 10 years we get them implanted...
Georg

EDITED: 1TB-> 4x16GB ....4x64GB
Last edited by gkaefer on Tue Jun 11, 2013 7:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

klausesser

Topic author
Info

by klausesser » Tue Jun 11, 2013 5:29 pm

HansKeesom wrote:Relax Klaus, stop shouting and read better.

In post #34 I said clearly "If it is indeed 32 GB ". Do you know the meaning of the word "if'" ?????? Getting a bit tired of debating things as if we are standing in a courtroom.

There is no knowlegde about the maximum amount of RAM in the new Macpro. It is an enigma at this moment. The only indication I have are the four slots. Four slots until now means 32 GB
a.f.a.i.k.

I heard about 128GB ECC RAM.

Klaus

no avatar
lumelix

Liked in: 0 post
Info

by lumelix » Tue Jun 11, 2013 9:15 pm

Last edited by lumelix on Tue Jun 11, 2013 9:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Regards
Martin

no avatar
HansKeesom

Info

by HansKeesom » Tue Jun 11, 2013 9:52 pm

klausesser wrote:
HansKeesom wrote:Relax Klaus, stop shouting and read better.

a.f.a.i.k.

I heard about 128GB ECC RAM.

Klaus

I hope your source is reliable because 128 GB is indeed a good amount.

All I can find is that the OS can support 128 GB, nothing about the machine itself supporting it.

See http://www.macworld.com/article/2041329/the-new-mac-pro-hands-on-and-what-you-need-to-know.html
"How upgradeable is the new Mac Pro?

The new Mac Pro’s RAM is situated in four memory slots and can be upgraded easily—you just slide off the computer’s cylindrical, metal sleeve, pop out the old memory, and insert new DIMMs. Apple's tech info about OS X Mavericks (PDF link) notes that OS X 10.9—which the new Mac Pro will presumably ship with—supports up to 128GB of RAM.
"

Just to be sure, the fact that an OS support 128 GB says nothing about how much a machine supports.

I found this motherboard http://www.supermicro.nl/products/motherboard/Xeon/C600/X9DAe.cfm it supports 512 GB in 16 slots, which means 32 GB per slot should be possible(. I just can't find the memorybars that have 32 GB.) Folllowing that line 4 times 32 GB should give us 128 GB. Let's keep our fingers crossed
Last edited by HansKeesom on Tue Jun 11, 2013 10:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Regards, Hans Keesom

no avatar
Destiny

Liked in: 228 posts
Info

by Destiny » Wed Jun 12, 2013 7:46 am

Christian Stüben

Info

by Christian Stüben » Wed Jun 12, 2013 8:58 am

128gb in 4 peaces is already available ...
http://www.alternate.de/html/listings/Hardware-Komponenten-Arbeitsspeicher-DDR3-ECC/711/?tk=7&lk=8271&order=DESC&sort=COLUMN1#listingResult

Ahem, not available, "im Zulauf" says coming soon, already in the truck on highway.
And it is only ddr3-1333 and not the preferred 1800.

So we can hope :)

@Destiny: it cannot be on your wish list, it is alredy on mine.

greetings
Chris

last edit: at last i had a look at the pricing of the 128gb ... no hope anymore :(
Last edited by Christian Stüben on Wed Jun 12, 2013 9:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
---

PreviousNext