Page 2 of 2

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2013 10:02 pm
by HansKeesom
MartinKS wrote:Sorry, but when you import a bracketed stack into photoshop you end up with a 32 bit file. I've always used either Tiff or PSD files for saving these raw images, and thought that since APG read them it might read them properly.
The HDR functionality in photoshop is adaquate for my needs, and the added features in Photomatix or Oloneo aren't worth me buying a licence or learning how to use new software. I'll export .exr or .hdr files though.

All that said - would you all have processed into 8bit standard tiff files?

Hans - I'll download and use the images you've rendered now, thank you, but I also need to make sure I can do this on my own next time :)

Hi Martin,

I can understand you want to do it yourself. We all want to be able do do everything ourselves.

But when that is not possible, due to time or other restrictions, feel free to call for help.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2013 10:23 pm
by MartinKS
klausesser wrote:
MartinKS wrote:All that said - would you all have processed into 8bit standard tiff files?

Depends on what you need them for.
If you need an equirectangular image for IBL: use .hdr or .exr both are 32bit/ch FP data.
If you need them for usual photographic work use 8 bit/TIFF
If you want to intensively retouch or correct colors/density/contrast or and saturation use 16bit TIFF.

So i usually use to save HDR-processed and tonemapped images as 16bit/TIFF for importing them to APG.
Photomatix provides masking tools for ghosts which works very well.

best, Klaus

Klaus, what do you mean by IBL?

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2013 10:54 pm
by MartinKS
HansKeesom wrote:
MartinKS wrote:Sorry, but when you import a bracketed stack into photoshop you end up with a 32 bit file. I've always used either Tiff or PSD files for saving these raw images, and thought that since APG read them it might read them properly.
The HDR functionality in photoshop is adaquate for my needs, and the added features in Photomatix or Oloneo aren't worth me buying a licence or learning how to use new software. I'll export .exr or .hdr files though.

All that said - would you all have processed into 8bit standard tiff files?

Hans - I'll download and use the images you've rendered now, thank you, but I also need to make sure I can do this on my own next time :)

Hi Martin,

I can understand you want to do it yourself. We all want to be able do do everything ourselves.

But when that is not possible, due to time or other restrictions, feel free to call for help.

Thanks Very much Hans :) the stitching you've done is brilliant.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2013 11:11 pm
by klausesser
MartinKS wrote:
klausesser wrote:
MartinKS wrote:All that said - would you all have processed into 8bit standard tiff files?

Depends on what you need them for.
If you need an equirectangular image for IBL: use .hdr or .exr both are 32bit/ch FP data.
If you need them for usual photographic work use 8 bit/TIFF
If you want to intensively retouch or correct colors/density/contrast or and saturation use 16bit TIFF.

So i usually use to save HDR-processed and tonemapped images as 16bit/TIFF for importing them to APG.
Photomatix provides masking tools for ghosts which works very well.

best, Klaus

Klaus, what do you mean by IBL?

IBL means ImageBasedLighting. This is a technique where you really need 32bit/ch FP HDR data - fileformat .hdr and .exr (.exr is a hdr-version from George Lucas´
Industrial Lioght and Magic - who made the Star-Wars movies and some others).

IBL is used in 3d-animation applications for providing the original light, shadows and reflections from the location-shot HDR spheres to mixed 3D CGI automobiles (CompuerGeneratedImaging) and photographed backgrounds (called "backplates")

Only HDR files can provide the needed quality.

Widely used in car advertising:
http://www.traska-photographers.com/torsten-klinkow/transportcgi-2/
http://www.px-group.de/cgi/transportation

best, Klaus

here´s a test-run of my own - the car is a free CGI-model, the backplate/Sphere was a HDR example in Cinema4D.
Rendered in Cinema4D.