Car interior photo gear list  

Share your tips and tricks here or get help with any Autopano Pro / Giga problem!
No bug reports (of any kind) in this forum!
no avatar
crazyjester900

Topic author
Liked in: 0 post
Info

Car interior photo gear list

by crazyjester900 » Wed Jun 05, 2013 6:26 am

Hi All,

I am new here and have been wowed by pano photography.
I have never done this and have been doing some experimenting with my gear to see just how far I can go.
I believe I have reached the point where some specialty gear is now needed.

Assuming money is no option I want to buy a motorised (Automated) setup to photograph car interiors.

The only gear that I'll start with is my canon 5D Mkii.

I would be after a tripod

Motorised head

Stitching software

Wrapping software

Lens

Ability to shoot nadir

Also anything else I may have forgotten.

I want to be able to programe the head so I simply press play each time I put it in a vehicle.

Can you guys help me out with this.

I appreciate the help.

Brad

no avatar
crazyjester900

Topic author
Info

by crazyjester900 » Wed Jun 05, 2013 6:28 am

So far this sort of work is my end game goal.
It is fantastic!

http://bavaria360.de/rolls/backseat.html
Last edited by crazyjester900 on Wed Jun 05, 2013 6:39 am, edited 1 time in total.

klausesser

Liked in: 64 posts
Info

by klausesser » Wed Jun 05, 2013 10:52 am

crazyjester900 wrote:So far this sort of work is my end game goal.
It is fantastic!

http://bavaria360.de/rolls/backseat.html

Hi Brad!

Youe just need a good fisheye - i suggest the 15mm or 8-15mm Canon - and a special tripod for placing the camera into the car by sliding it through a side-window and have it rotate @90°.
You also can use a small tripod standing on the car´s floor or on a seat.

Important is a head which gives you a very small Nadir-hole.

After having done 6 shots rotating vertically you need to do the "Nadir" shot directed to the side-window through which you have slid the camera into the car.
Ofcourse you need to do this shot from exactly the same position as the rest of the shots.

From what i know Jürgen used a small tripod standing on the car´s floor - i will ask him.

It´s not rocket-science - but definitely it´s a bit tricky . . . :cool:

I used the side-window-slide-in method some years ago. Here´s an - unfinished - example from the test-phase. You can see a part of the tripod and of myself in the mirror :cool: :

http://360impressions.de/Mini1.html

best ad good luck, Klaus
Simplicity is the keynote of all true elegance. Coco Chanel

no avatar
crazyjester900

Topic author
Info

by crazyjester900 » Wed Jun 05, 2013 12:40 pm

Thank you Klaus,

I am looking to create a method that I can repeat.
I like the look of from the drivers perspective.

I have done a few attempted panos with my 17-40mm I have tried to set my camera up so I get no parallax.

PTGui I used to stitch, I have been getting a few errors with stitching, I feel this is because of the mixed light.

What software do you use to stitch and also create the tour?

Thanks for the reply.

klausesser

Info

by klausesser » Wed Jun 05, 2013 2:13 pm

crazyjester900 wrote:I have done a few attempted panos with my 17-40mm I have tried to set my camera up so I get no parallax.

You definitely need a fisheye for that. And you NEED to setup your NPP *perfectly* correct.

crazyjester900 wrote:What software do you use to stitch and also create the tour?
Thanks for the reply.

I used a Canon 20D with a 10,5mm Nikon fisheye and AutopanoPro and PanoTourPro at the time. Actually i use AutoPanoGiga and PanoTourPro.

But PTGui also will do.

best, Klaus
Last edited by klausesser on Wed Jun 05, 2013 2:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

no avatar
HansKeesom

Liked in: 2 posts
Info

by HansKeesom » Wed Jun 05, 2013 6:23 pm

you might also consider a suction cup at the inside of a side window.

This one is a bit lightweigth but you will get the idea http://www.bol.com/nl/p/hama-mini-statief-zuignap/9000000007515519/
Regards, Hans Keesom
I stitch and render for other photographers. Price: 25 euro or less, no cure no pay. If you want to concentrate on your business let me do the stitching for you. Free TB of Dropbox space when you have more then 250 euro business a year.

no avatar
crazyjester900

Topic author
Info

by crazyjester900 » Wed Jun 05, 2013 11:47 pm

Interesting,

I have a few suction mounts already from when I was doing motion shots with a car rig.

with the suction cup idea the shot would not be a full interior 360?

are you able to have a pano tour that has edges (If that makes senes)

Thanks

no avatar
HansKeesom

Info

by HansKeesom » Thu Jun 06, 2013 12:02 am

to make a full 360*180 panorama you would need a "nadir" shot, a photo of where the suction mount was on the window, so you can catch the view outside. The same things as with a normal panorama, just 90 degrees rotated
Regards, Hans Keesom
I stitch and render for other photographers. Price: 25 euro or less, no cure no pay. If you want to concentrate on your business let me do the stitching for you. Free TB of Dropbox space when you have more then 250 euro business a year.

no avatar
HansKeesom

Info

by HansKeesom » Thu Jun 06, 2013 12:02 am

edges?
Regards, Hans Keesom

no avatar
Destiny

Liked in: 228 posts
Info

by Destiny » Thu Jun 06, 2013 1:07 am

Hi... Capturing the interior of a car has issues but its doable.. Lighting is everything.. What i suggest you do is either drape the entire car in a white semi transparent sheet, making sure you do not cover the door mirrors.. Then place good lighting around the car so the entire inside of the car has even light.. The idea then is to edit the entire pano after, frosting out the glass like this demo.. After all, its the interior of the car that needs to be viewed.. You can also do some cleaver stuff with adding images.. You can also hire a nice white tent and drive the cars into it.. I did my own car a while back, it was ok except my car was not that nice inside... ;( To be honest, you really need to use at least 3 bracketed shots to capture the full details of the darkest shadowed areas.. This demo this mob made is quite nice with lots of info. Its probably the best quality you could hope to achieve or should I say, the best quality you should need to achieve..

http://members.westnet.com.au/dps/360car/insidecar.html

I captured a car vr using a robotic head with remote but I had issues with the nadir.. Its so important that the nadir is captured correctly...

To be honest, unless you have clients for this, its not worth the effort... A car dealer wants to pay less than a real-estate agent will want to pay...

Its a hard market for sure... One would have thought that a motor home selling for 3/4 of a Mil $$ would pay but nope.. They are as stupid and tight as most of the others.. They would rather rely on an iPhone camera add-on... basically giving little value to the gear, skills and software you need to do it properly..

if you are going to do it.. you need to work out a way of doing super quick... The new PTP V2 will be a benefit since you will be able to showcase your VR on a Samsung and take it with you to a car mob to show them a demo which might awe them ...

Destiny..
Primary School Teacher - Hobby Virtual Tours and 3D/360 Object/Product Photographer - Our aim is to create a 3D/360 Virtual Tour Shop/Store with links to 3D/360 degree products. My gear, VR Drive II - D90 - Nikon 10.5 fisheye - Nikon D800 with Nikon-Nikkor 14-24 - NOVOFLEX Magic Balance - Acratech GP Ball-head - Nodal Ninja 4 + RD-16 Rotor - Manfrotto 190CXPRO4 Carbon Fiber Tripod :) :)

no avatar
crazyjester900

Topic author
Info

by crazyjester900 » Thu Jun 06, 2013 1:17 am

Destiny,

your link: http://members.westnet.com.au/dps/360car/insidecar.html

This is what I want to do, with the clickable points!
How do you do this?

It's those clickable points are the key.

Where in Australia are you located?

no avatar
Destiny

Info

by Destiny » Thu Jun 06, 2013 2:09 am

Hi.. I did not make that car VR, its just a demo I found that was of the quality you need to achieve.. If you click on the name link it will take you to the mob who did..

This VR was not done using PTP but it can be done ..... Its just a normal VR, linked to a Shadowbox.. The hotspot can be what ever you want... To set it all up will take time.. but once its done you can use all the same graphic assets.. The hardest part is to capture your pano images.. I have seen some really nice ones, better than that demo but I have also seen some really yuck ones...

This is a test hotspot setup.. You just need to create something nice looking and add your own text and images.. You can edit your xml and add a hide hotspots code..

http://members.westnet.com.au/dps/360car/hotspottest/virtualtour.html

Located in Queensland..

Destiny..
Primary School Teacher - Hobby Virtual Tours and 3D/360 Object/Product Photographer - Our aim is to create a 3D/360 Virtual Tour Shop/Store with links to 3D/360 degree products. My gear, VR Drive II - D90 - Nikon 10.5 fisheye - Nikon D800 with Nikon-Nikkor 14-24 - NOVOFLEX Magic Balance - Acratech GP Ball-head - Nodal Ninja 4 + RD-16 Rotor - Manfrotto 190CXPRO4 Carbon Fiber Tripod :) :)

no avatar
crazyjester900

Topic author
Info

by crazyjester900 » Thu Jun 06, 2013 4:56 am

I am basically trying to set up a set and forget system.
The nadair is not 100% important. At this time.

It will however become important. (of course)

no avatar
crazyjester900

Topic author
Info

by crazyjester900 » Tue Jun 11, 2013 12:31 am

I am going to rent the gigapan setup.

Has anyone used this?

Can it work inside a car?

klausesser

Info

by klausesser » Tue Jun 11, 2013 12:33 am

crazyjester900 wrote:I am going to rent the gigapan setup.
Has anyone used this?

Yes.

crazyjester900 wrote:Can it work inside a car?

definitely not.

best, Klaus

no avatar
Destiny

Info

by Destiny » Tue Jun 11, 2013 12:43 am

Ha.. No way.. for sooo many reasons..

Destiny..

no avatar
crazyjester900

Topic author
Info

by crazyjester900 » Tue Jun 11, 2013 1:09 am

Hmmm,
OK.....
So the setup that this site sells is the best motorised head for car interior?
Also do you guys bracket your exposures when you are shooting your shots.
As I haven't done that yet in my test and the differences between the lights and the darks are making it hard for PTgui to stich.

no avatar
crazyjester900

Topic author
Info

by crazyjester900 » Tue Jun 11, 2013 1:27 am

Also do I need this attachment to set up the shooting pattern of the camera and be able to control it from a laptop
http://www.kolor.com/buy/photo-hardware/panoshoot.html

klausesser

Info

by klausesser » Tue Jun 11, 2013 2:46 am

crazyjester900 wrote:Also do I need this attachment to set up the shooting pattern of the camera and be able to control it from a laptop

I suggest to start using a simple manual head like a NodalNinja. With that use a DX or a FX camera and a good fisheye.
Take one row @-12° and a second row +12° - @20% overlap that´s 5 shots each row, @25% overlap it´s 6 shots/row - all relelated to the use of a fullframe fisheye on DX or FX,
which means a 10,5mm fe on DX and a 15/16mm fe on FX. Can be other values than -12/+12° - try it out ( irecalled it from my mind - didn´t use a manual head for a long time ;)
With this setup you´ll cover the full sphere + Zenith. For Nadir you need to so an extra shot - or retouch the Nadir-hole.

But FIRST of all: get every piece of information that you can find regarding shooting spheres in general and shooting spheres in narrow spaces in special.

Shooting panos indoors and especially in narrow spaces like a car is very challenging and you need theoretical knowledge and practical experiences.

It will take you quite a while to come to a satisfying result - and you´ll not get there at all without learning the basics. No way around that.

When you have gathered enough knowledge and experieces i suggest to buy a good motorized head like Rodeon, Panoneed or VR2. starting (!) at around 2000.-€ for Panoneed, about 3000.-€ for VR2 and about 4000.-€ for Rodeon ST (all prices excl. VAT and depending on needed accessories).

best and good luck, Klaus
Last edited by klausesser on Tue Jun 11, 2013 2:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

no avatar
Destiny

Info

by Destiny » Tue Jun 11, 2013 4:43 am

I said you need to bracket in #10...

Destiny..

crazyjester900 wrote:Hmmm,
OK.....
As I haven't done that yet in my test and the differences between the lights and the darks are making it hard for PTgui to stich.

no avatar
Destiny

Info

by Destiny » Tue Jun 11, 2013 5:00 am

Although the Nodal Ninja is a great tool and I would be one of the first to promote this pano head, but to be honest for what you need it for, forget it with trying to create car VRs.. I have already tried it out.. You will have nothing else but issues.. and as for the Panoneed, that would be far too big and clumsy to fitting inside a car so most defiantly forget that..

Destiny..

no avatar
crazyjester900

Topic author
Info

by crazyjester900 » Tue Jun 11, 2013 5:47 am

Destiny wrote:I said you need to bracket in #10...

Destiny..

crazyjester900 wrote:Hmmm,
OK.....

Sorry

no avatar
crazyjester900

Topic author
Info

by crazyjester900 » Tue Jun 11, 2013 5:52 am

klausesser wrote:
crazyjester900 wrote:Also do I need this attachment to set up the shooting pattern of the camera and be able to control it from a laptop

I suggest to start using a simple manual head like a NodalNinja. With that use a DX or a FX camera and a good fisheye.
Take one row @-12° and a second row +12° - @20% overlap that´s 5 shots each row, @25% overlap it´s 6 shots/row - all relelated to the use of a fullframe fisheye on DX or FX,
which means a 10,5mm fe on DX and a 15/16mm fe on FX. Can be other values than -12/+12° - try it out ( irecalled it from my mind - didn´t use a manual head for a long time ;)
With this setup you´ll cover the full sphere + Zenith. For Nadir you need to so an extra shot - or retouch the Nadir-hole.

But FIRST of all: get every piece of information that you can find regarding shooting spheres in general and shooting spheres in narrow spaces in special.

Shooting panos indoors and especially in narrow spaces like a car is very challenging and you need theoretical knowledge and practical experiences.

It will take you quite a while to come to a satisfying result - and you´ll not get there at all without learning the basics. No way around that.

When you have gathered enough knowledge and experieces i suggest to buy a good motorized head like Rodeon, Panoneed or VR2. starting (!) at around 2000.-€ for Panoneed, about 3000.-€ for VR2 and about 4000.-€ for Rodeon ST (all prices excl. VAT and depending on needed accessories).

best and good luck, Klaus

OK,

I will try my best to keep reading and learn the basics.

I need the motorised head for my needs and it will be 100% for car interiors.
So the Kolor Panogear head is not now suitable for this work?

Of the above options what is the best head and software combo to make car interior panos / VRs
as that is the only thing this rig will be used for.

I am close to purchase and if the panogear is not correct, what is?

Thank you

no avatar
HansKeesom

Info

by HansKeesom » Tue Jun 11, 2013 7:52 am

You can do a panorama inside a car with a manuall head. You just need to open and close the door many times and have a wiress remote. No need to spend the money for an automatic head.
Regards, Hans Keesom

klausesser

Info

by klausesser » Tue Jun 11, 2013 11:25 am

Destiny wrote:A VR Drive is really still too big too.. I tried it on my Car..

Destiny: i know personally alone 5 professional photographers in Europe using the VR2 or a Rodeon for shooting car-interiors as spheres for interactive presentations.
I myself used a Rodeon ST to shoot spheres of car-interiors several times.

Neither a Rodeon ST nor the VR2 nor the Panoneed are "really too big" for doing car-interiors.
You just need to go an inteligent way to use them for that purpose.

best, Klaus

PS:

a programable head definitely is preferable also for shooting car-interiors.
1) You can start it and leave it alone until it finished the sphere.
2) you´re able to shoot several identical spheres using different focus-range and/or at different times for being combined later - good when shooting during a sunset or so.
3) xml files which the head writes help positioning the images in the stitcher - good for images which show uniformly colored or structured surfaces and definitely a must for hires shots.

So as a matter of fact there are VERY GOOD reasons for the use of a programmable head - even for car-interiors.
I guess it´s a qestion of personal experiences to see the pros and cons.
Last edited by klausesser on Tue Jun 11, 2013 12:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Next