Optimal Computer System ...  

Share your tips and tricks here or get help with any Autopano Pro / Giga problem!
No bug reports (of any kind) in this forum!
no avatar
pollarda

Topic author
Liked in: 0 post
Info

Optimal Computer System ...

by pollarda » Wed Feb 27, 2013 4:01 am

I'm looking at building a system to handle large panos both flat and spherical 180s. How much benefit would I get for getting a fast graphics card? (I'm looking at a high performance video card that is used for rendering for Autocad, Photoshop etc. but it is expensive -- like $700.) There clearly isn't much use in having a card like this if it doens't make much difference.

Thanks,

-Art

UK Pano

Liked in: 0 post
Info

by UK Pano » Wed Feb 27, 2013 9:36 am

Run a search on the forum as this is a regular discussion point. Synopsis is that it is RAM on the card that is most beneficial if my memory is correct.
Canon 400D / Canon 24-105mm L / Sigma 8mm f3.5 FE / Sigma 10-20mm / Sigma 70-300mm / NN3 & R1 / PS CS2 / LR3 / Enfuse

no avatar
HansKeesom

Liked in: 2 posts
Info

by HansKeesom » Wed Feb 27, 2013 10:07 am

GPU is only usefull for editing and even that can be done without. I would invest in fast CPU, lots of memory, PCI-SSD's etc. first.
Buying a expensive GPU is only for upgrading a machine that can't be upgraded otherwise. And if you do, APP and APG only use single GPU, but it will the GB's on the card thankfully.
Regards, Hans Keesom
I stitch and render for other photographers. Price: 25 euro or less, no cure no pay. If you want to concentrate on your business let me do the stitching for you. Free TB of Dropbox space when you have more then 250 euro business a year.