Film Scanner  

Share your tips and tricks here or get help with any Autopano Pro / Giga problem!
No bug reports (of any kind) in this forum!
no avatar
pdesmidt

Topic author
Liked in: 0 post
Info

Film Scanner

by pdesmidt » Mon Jan 14, 2013 4:51 pm

A couple of friends and I are working on making a copy stand style film scanner. Our goal is to make a set of open source plans so that photographers can DIY their own scanners. We use a dslr, a macro lens at 1:1, and a moving negative stage. For instance, with my D200, I capture 16 frames in a 4x4 grid to cover a 6x7cm negative. We'd then like to stitch the frames together to give us our final "scan". We have manual prototypes working, and we've been able to get better scans than with consumer flatbeds.

One issue we have is that it's hard to align areas of a negative that are relatively featureless, such as a wide expanse of clear sky, and we'd like to come up with a reliable stitching solution for our situation.

The system involves multiple viewpoints with no changes in camera rotation between shots. Thus, the multi-viewpoint feature should be helpful, right?

Currently, we're working on automating the movment of the negative stage using stepper motors. As a result, we should be able to make very repeatable grids of scan. It would thus seem that a type of align to grid feature would be helpful, but this only appears to be available if your images with captures with specific motorized pano-heads. Is there any way to use this feature in our situation?

Any other suggestions as to how to improve our stitching workflow would be greatly appreciated.

no avatar
mediavets

Liked in: 130 posts
Info

by mediavets » Mon Jan 14, 2013 5:03 pm

Welcome to the forum...

Three possible approaches- I don't know if any will work:

1. When you have achieved a good stitch with set of images which do have sufficient detail, then save as a template and then apply that to other sets.

2. Try the Gigapan Import filter selecting a shooting pattern that matches that you are using.

3. Using the free Papywizard software in simulation mode create an XML format data file and use that with the Papywizard Import filter.
Last edited by mediavets on Mon Jan 14, 2013 5:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Andrew Stephens
Many different Nodal Ninja and Agnos pano heads. Merlin/Panogear mount with Papywizard on Nokia Internet tablets.
Nikon D5100 and D40, Sigma 8mm f3.5 FE, Nikon 10.5mm FE, 35mm, 50mm, 18-55mm, 70-210mm. Promote control.

no avatar
Daniel Moore

Info

by Daniel Moore » Wed Jan 16, 2013 6:03 am

On a related note, is it possible to drive two off the shelf stepper motors directly with Papywizard?

no avatar
pdesmidt

Topic author
Info

by pdesmidt » Wed Jan 16, 2013 6:15 am

Thank you, Mediavets, for your suggestions!

no avatar
Daniel Moore

Info

by Daniel Moore » Tue Jan 22, 2013 9:53 am

I imagine a Merlin or Orion controller are required.

no avatar
mediavets

Liked in: 130 posts
Info

by mediavets » Tue Jan 22, 2013 10:06 am

Daniel Moore wrote:On a related note, is it possible to drive two off the shelf stepper motors directly with Papywizard?

I suggest you ask the question here:

http://www.kolor.com/forum/f20-motorized-panohead-project-merlin,orion-papywizard

It's more likely to get a response there.
Andrew Stephens
Many different Nodal Ninja and Agnos pano heads. Merlin/Panogear mount with Papywizard on Nokia Internet tablets.
Nikon D5100 and D40, Sigma 8mm f3.5 FE, Nikon 10.5mm FE, 35mm, 50mm, 18-55mm, 70-210mm. Promote control.

no avatar
tomasulo

Info

by tomasulo » Thu Jan 24, 2013 1:28 am

Hello,
If I am understanding you correctly, you and I may be doing a very similar thing. Please check out a thread I started a few days.
http://www.kolor.com/forum/t16873-optimization-settings-question

I have a negative stage running on an XY table with steppers. It works perfectly. And I had the exact question about stitching featureless sections together. So far so good, and I've been thrilled with the results I am getting. You can private message me as well if you are interested in more details.

Andrew
Last edited by tomasulo on Thu Jan 24, 2013 1:28 am, edited 1 time in total.