No HDR option  

Share your tips and tricks here or get help with any Autopano Pro / Giga problem!
No bug reports (of any kind) in this forum!
no avatar
HansKeesom

Topic author
Liked in: 2 posts
Info

No HDR option

by HansKeesom » Mon Jan 07, 2013 5:19 pm

i try to follow http://www.autopano.net/wiki-en/action/view/LDR_/_HDR_-_Workflow_case_E
the documentation seems not to be based at version 3.0, but ok

I have loaded a group of 112 RAW/CR2-images divided by stacks of 7. When I detect the group and open it in the editor, in color mode the HDR option is grayed out. Any idea anyone why this is and how to solve it?
Regards, Hans Keesom
I stitch and render for other photographers. Price: 25 euro or less, no cure no pay. If you want to concentrate on your business let me do the stitching for you. Free TB of Dropbox space when you have more then 250 euro business a year.

gkaefer

Liked in: 15 posts
Info

by gkaefer » Mon Jan 07, 2013 6:14 pm

confirm this. I followed Case E with tiff and with CR2 source files manually grouped by N=5 files. using the hard links and all other mentioned settings in all cases the HDR was disabled after detection.

Georg

PS: I correctd the type in the Case-E wiki entry. now http://www.autopano.net/wiki-en/images-en/4/44/Autopano250_HDR-casE-links1.jpg is correct displayed in the wiki.
Last edited by gkaefer on Mon Jan 07, 2013 6:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

klausesser

Liked in: 64 posts
Info

by klausesser » Mon Jan 07, 2013 6:37 pm

HansKeesom wrote:i try to follow http://www.autopano.net/wiki-en/action/view/LDR_/_HDR_-_Workflow_case_E

I have loaded a group of 112 RAW/CR2-images divided by stacks of 7. When I detect the group and open it in the editor, in color mode the HDR option is grayed out. Any idea anyone why this is and how to solve it?

Hans:

1) the RAW decoder in APG is not the very best one. So i suggest to use Lightroom (has the ARC integrated) or - the best one - CaptureOne as RAW converter.
2) also i strongly suggest to use Photomatix or a familiar, dedicated application to generate HDR with tonemapping - and only then put the resulting output-images (preferably TIFF/16bit) into APG.

That depends on what you need HDR for: tonemapping on usual photography or HDR-probes for IBL in 3D-applications like Maya, Cinema4D, Max and so on or as for dedicated renderers like Maxwell or so.

Just my friendly advise as a photographer using APG and HDR for years now and sharing his experiences. Using already RAW processed and/or HDR processed images in APG makes APG dramatically faster and easier to run.

I had a run with APG 3.0 an hour ago with a set of 6 shots x7 brackets testing the "Fusion" feature. It works. But in a somewhat "clandestine operational" way - i didn´t know what it sxactly did when i used the sliders . . so it was kind of try and error. The result wasn´t too bad - but not good enough. I´m quite sure one can get wonderful results with it nevertheless . . having plenty of time.

best, Klaus
Simplicity is the keynote of all true elegance. Coco Chanel

gkaefer

Info

by gkaefer » Mon Jan 07, 2013 6:42 pm

klausesser wrote:
HansKeesom wrote:i try to follow http://www.autopano.net/wiki-en/action/view/LDR_/_HDR_-_Workflow_case_E

Hans:

1) the RAW decoder in APG is not the very best one. So i suggest to use Lightroom (has the ARC integrated) or - the best one - CaptureOne as RAW converter.
2) also i strongly suggest to use Photomatix or a familiar, dedicated application to generate HDR with tonemapping - and only then put the resulting output-images (preferably TIFF/16bit) into APG.

That depends on what you need HDR for: tonemapping on usual photography or HDR-probes for IBL in 3D-applications like Maya, Cinema4D, Max and so on or as for dedicated renderers like Maxwell or so.

Just my friendly advise as a photographer using APG and HDR for years now and sharing his experiences. Using already RAW processed and/or HDR processed images in APG makes APG dramatically faster and easier to run.

I had a run with APG 3.0 an hour ago with a set of 6 shots x7 brackets testing the "Fusion" feature. It works. But in a somewhat "clandestine operational" way - i didn´t know what it sxactly did when i used the sliders . . so it was kind of try and error. The result wasn´t too bad - but not good enough. I´m quite sure one can get wonderful results with it nevertheless . . having plenty of time.

best, Klaus

case E is handling an HDR output (.exr or .hdr panorama file). so following the description we've now 3 conclusions we can choose from:

1. the docu is outdated and not reflecting 3.0.x version
2. we dont understand the docu so we do expect other things to happen
3. docu is correct and we understand it so the autopano 3.0.1 does have a bug.

Georg

no avatar
HansKeesom

Topic author
Info

by HansKeesom » Mon Jan 07, 2013 9:40 pm

thank you Georg,

These are exactly the points. One should be able to follow the manual and get the same results. I was trying to learn some new things. Was not expecting to learn not to follow the documentation,

Guess I need to have a look at the other cases , F seem to be the way to go
Last edited by HansKeesom on Mon Jan 07, 2013 10:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Regards, Hans Keesom
I stitch and render for other photographers. Price: 25 euro or less, no cure no pay. If you want to concentrate on your business let me do the stitching for you. Free TB of Dropbox space when you have more then 250 euro business a year.

no avatar
tived

Liked in: 0 post
Info

by tived » Tue Jan 08, 2013 3:41 am

Sorrry for being so negative here, but i have given up using HDR with APG.

I use a similar process to Hans, and I would second his experience and tools of choice - but then I also have all those programs incl Capture One which lately has been very tempermental.

Henrik

renan
Kolor Team

Liked in: 1 post
Info

by renan » Tue Jan 08, 2013 9:46 am

Actually, HDR color correction is based on EXIF information. "Speed" and "FNumber" values are required.
So, if you don't have these EXIF info, HDR color correction is disabled.

no avatar
marzipano

Liked in: 14 posts
Info

by marzipano » Tue Jan 08, 2013 9:49 am

I cannot replicate your problem.

I always get all three colour options highlighted (None, Auto, HDR) whatever options I select and even if not using bracketing or fusion.

I am using 3.0.1 full licence under Windows 7

(The results I get are unfotunately less successful though)

gkaefer

Info

by gkaefer » Tue Jan 08, 2013 11:09 am

renan wrote:Actually, HDR color correction is based on EXIF information. "Speed" and "FNumber" values are required.

ok. in my case I used images without EXIF data. so case so far closed... ;-)
please check the wiki page. I updated your information and added a footnote to the manual:
http://www.autopano.net/wiki-en/action/view/LDR_/_HDR_:_How_it_works

Georg

no avatar
HansKeesom

Topic author
Info

by HansKeesom » Wed Jan 09, 2013 4:36 pm

renan wrote:Actually, HDR color correction is based on EXIF information. "Speed" and "FNumber" values are required.

This might be caused then by the cheap Samyang 8 mm I am using........... Oke, maybe time to test everything with a real Canon lens.
Last edited by HansKeesom on Wed Jan 09, 2013 4:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Regards, Hans Keesom

Lecaramel

Info

by Lecaramel » Sat Jan 19, 2013 11:23 pm

I agree with Klaus for the HDR process. I spend a good amount of time finding the best one and this is what I'm doing (my purpose is to create full 360x180° panoramas for usage in 3D software, no tonemapping)

- Doing the Raw development in Lightroom and export as 16 bits tiff files.
- Creating the HDR file from these Tiff files in Photomatix (just the batch HDR creation with antighost)
- I open my resulting HDR in photoshop to see if the default exposure value is fine (sometime too dark or too bright and do the same adjustment on all the HDR files.
- Loading these HDR in AGP
- Define my various settings to create my pano (see case F)
- Render my pano as HDR with the additional stitched images
- Doing various edits in photoshop. I'm using Flexify 2 to "rotate" my pano to edit the nadir.

FYI, I'm using the 2nd order + geometric center option for the Distorsion model in the pano settings, always in high quality detection with the maximum control points and the robust algorithm + final optimisation. I always add the control points with a RMS < 4.

I'll be happy to know other users workflow or tips and tricks... Or ways to reduce as much as possible the wrong image overlaps between stiched images.
Blog photo : Polyshoot.fr

Aeriscera

Info

by Aeriscera » Fri Mar 01, 2013 8:20 am

I have been up all night so apologies if this is stupid question, but "speed" refers to shutter speed? If so then I don't understand how it would make sense for a .hdr file to have an associated shutter speed (unless I bought an HDR camera). If I make a .hdr file from three images taken with the same f/ number but different shutter speeds, then it makes sense to me that the f/ number should be copied across to the .hdr file, but not a shutter speed.

So, under what circumstances would a .hdr file have a "speed"?
Last edited by Aeriscera on Fri Mar 01, 2013 8:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

no avatar
marzipano

Liked in: 14 posts
Info

by marzipano » Fri Mar 01, 2013 9:26 am

I use a fixed f-number and ISO but vary the shutter speed when I do fully manual bracketing

Also I think some cameras with HDR or AEB functions effectively take each stack (set) of pano images on "Auto" so across the whole pano any exif variable could change in theory