Control Point Detection Test  

Share your tips and tricks here or get help with any Autopano Pro / Giga problem!
No bug reports (of any kind) in this forum!
no avatar
marco.lanciani

Topic author
Liked in: 0 post
Info

Control Point Detection Test

by marco.lanciani » Thu Dec 06, 2012 6:13 pm

I did this test in auto-everything using the Papywizard preset on both Apps… and looks like CPs generated in PTGui are better spread. I mean APG is still not able to detect CPs on the corners of the image with fisheye lenses.

I know I can do it manually but this is not the purpose of this test, which is to look for the best One-Click Pano Application.
Also missing points on the corners lead to poor stitching. I wonder if we can still see improvements on V3 in CPs detection. I hope so.

gkaefer

Liked in: 15 posts
Info

by gkaefer » Thu Dec 06, 2012 7:22 pm

Hi Marco,

you could play with the Ransac model settings and for more CP's you could raise the default 50 CP to 100.
Georg

no avatar
marco.lanciani

Topic author
Info

by marco.lanciani » Thu Dec 06, 2012 7:55 pm

Thanks, I'll try... but as you can see from my pictures, CPs in PTGui are not only better spread, they are also less clustered.
I doubt there's an option for this along with raising the number of CPs.

Also I always use "Similarity". I don't know yet what Homography is but it's still too slow to do some testing.

klausesser

Liked in: 64 posts
Info

by klausesser » Thu Dec 06, 2012 10:00 pm

marco.lanciani wrote:Thanks, I'll try... but as you can see from my pictures, CPs in PTGui are not only better spread, they are also less clustered.
I doubt there's an option for this along with raising the number of CPs.

Also I always use "Similarity". I don't know yet what Homography is but it's still too slow to do some testing.

PTGui is ok with clear structures but looses with chaotic or barely visible structures. Here APG is unbeatable . . :cool:

Sometimes it´s TOO sensitive and find CPs where none are visible - that doesn´t mean they´re not there . . :cool:

Vers. 3.0 got even better in finding CPs. I have PGTui also - but didn´t use it for months.

best, Klaus
Last edited by klausesser on Thu Dec 06, 2012 10:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Simplicity is the keynote of all true elegance. Coco Chanel

no avatar
marco.lanciani

Topic author
Info

by marco.lanciani » Fri Dec 07, 2012 1:19 am

I'm starting to like APG with V3, that's why all these questions and critics... this is also the natural consequence of more use of APG. ;)

You're right about PTGui... also, one thing I still don't like about PTGui is its blender (and using enblend is impossible; way too slow): did you noticed occasionally, mostly on the sky, the seams between images on the rendered pano. It's like a light and barely visible mark along the seams...

ThomasV
Kolor Team

Liked in: 1 post
Info

by ThomasV » Fri Dec 07, 2012 9:27 am

Hi,

Thanks for this feedback. We opened issue 1632 to see how it can be further improved.

Regards,
Thomas

no avatar
con

Info

by con » Fri Dec 07, 2012 11:05 am

i always thought that APG was specifically tailored for Gigas (ie a lots of photos) which would have quite a different setup to reg fisheye panoramics - which APP would handle quite well.
- am i completely wrong on this?

ThomasV
Kolor Team

Liked in: 1 post
Info

by ThomasV » Fri Dec 07, 2012 11:27 am

Hi,

For a comparison between Pro and Giga version, please refer to : http://www.kolor.com/autopano-pro-giga-comparison.html.

Regards,
Thomas

klausesser

Liked in: 64 posts
Info

by klausesser » Fri Dec 07, 2012 11:33 am

con wrote:i always thought that APG was specifically tailored for Gigas (ie a lots of photos) which would have quite a different setup to reg fisheye panoramics - which APP would handle quite well.
- am i completely wrong on this?

The name "Giga" is somewhat misleading - like the term "Auto" ;) - there are several advantages over APP besides gigapixels. I mean APG definitely is preferable.

best, Klaus
Simplicity is the keynote of all true elegance. Coco Chanel