Best type of tripod head to use with gigapan  

Share your tips and tricks here or get help with any Autopano Pro / Giga problem!
No bug reports (of any kind) in this forum!
no avatar
CharlieMcG

Topic author
Liked in: 0 post
Info

Best type of tripod head to use with gigapan

by CharlieMcG » Fri Nov 09, 2012 4:22 am

Hey there guys,

Total beginner here so any and all advice appreciate. I'm about to purchase a head to use with my GigaPan pro. Camera and lens will weigh around 5lbs, and gigapan head will weigh 7 lbs.

Going to use an Induro tripod which supports 22lbs, but i'm pretty stuck on the best type of head to buy. Based on your experience would you recommend one of the below?

Is there anything in particular I should be taking into account here? What are the benefits/drawbacks of each of the below types?

Any and all feedback greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
Charlie

Ball head
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/660321-REG/Manfrotto_496RC2_496RC2_Compact_Ball_Head.html

Pan and Tilt
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/318594-REG/Giottos_MH_5001_MH_5001_3_Way_Pan_Tilt_Head.html

Leveler
http://www.amazon.com/Manfrotto-438-Ball-Camera-Leveler/dp/B001A1VKPM

gkaefer

Liked in: 15 posts
Info

by gkaefer » Fri Nov 09, 2012 11:19 am

Ball head
advantage: flexible, can be used to turn the gigapan 90" so cam is directly looking to nadir.
disadvantage: weight.

Pan and Tilt
advantage: -
disadvantage: not stable, shaking because of shutterrelease

Leveler
advantage: flexible, best leveling in short time
disadvantage: cant support you for nadir images

so to get perfect combination, I would use a leveler and a ballhead in combination (if this does not lead to more unstability & more shaking). if luxury is not so a must have than the ballhead allone is also a good solution.

I use the triopo B-4 (from source from following link) and wont miss it...
http://www.foto-tip.pl/sklep/product_info.php?products_id=2117&language=de
(in german language little bit more infos are listed than in english language....)

Georg

Christian Stüben

Liked in: 9 posts
Info

by Christian Stüben » Sat Nov 10, 2012 10:52 am

CharlieMcG wrote:Ball head
Pan and Tilt
Leveler

my recommendation: none of them. They all will give problems with nodal adjustment, which is must for good results.

Have a look here in the kolor store, nodal ninja.

Or Manfrotto
http://www.manfrotto.de/foto-stativkopfe-panoramakopfe

Or google for Nodalpunktadapter, nodal adptor.

Choose a model that has click stop for both axis.

greetings from germany
Chris
---
always remember, the world is a flat disk.

klausesser

Liked in: 64 posts
Info

by klausesser » Sat Nov 10, 2012 12:41 pm

CharlieMcG wrote:Total beginner here so any and all advice appreciate. I'm about to purchase a head to use with my GigaPan pro. Camera and lens will weigh around 5lbs, and gigapan head will weigh 7 lbs.
Going to use an Induro tripod which supports 22lbs, but i'm pretty stuck on the best type of head to buy. Based on your experience would you recommend one of the below?
Is there anything in particular I should be taking into account here? What are the benefits/drawbacks of each of the below types?

Putting the Gigapan, or any other robotic head, onto the center-column of a good, heavy and sturdy tripod - here many people make the first mistake shooting panos: inadaequate tripods - and that´s it.
Every (!) further device between the head and the tripod weakens the stability you need for highres panos - i guess that´s why you bought the Gigapan for. For shooting spheres there are other, better, options.

best, Klaus
Simplicity is the keynote of all true elegance. Coco Chanel

klausesser

Liked in: 64 posts
Info

by klausesser » Sat Nov 10, 2012 12:43 pm

Christian Stüben wrote:Or google for Nodalpunktadapter, nodal adptor.

He already owns a Gigapan Pro. ;)

best, Klaus
Simplicity is the keynote of all true elegance. Coco Chanel

no avatar
tived

Liked in: 0 post
Info

by tived » Sun Nov 11, 2012 11:23 am

ok, i'll be outrageteous as per usual :-)

Arca Swiss Cube should solve your problem ;-) it works for me, but as Klaus says if your legs or any other part is weak, then the sum of it all is weak.

for legs i use Carbon fibre Gitzo 1548 (yes, its getting old, but can easily carry a 600mm f/4 lens and Pro Body), I also use one of the newer Manfrotto CF, don't remember the model number, but its has about 2+ meters high when fully raised, it does have a center column, but i don;t use that. Again this is rated for very heavy gear too.

Before I got the Arca Swiss Cube, I was using a Manfrotto 410 junior head, and it didn't occur to me that I was getting vibration in my pano's till i replaced it...

for ballhead, i use again an Arca Swiss B1 but i prefer a geared head for pano's

Best of luck and have fun making pano's

Henrik