Multi exposures in APG  

Share your tips and tricks here or get help with any Autopano Pro / Giga problem!
No bug reports (of any kind) in this forum!
no avatar
irpano

Topic author
Liked in: 0 post
Info

Multi exposures in APG

by irpano » Sun Oct 14, 2012 11:12 pm

During a quiet time on holidays watching people walk along a breakwater I experimented with a pano of the breakwater when no people were visible. Then repeated the same pattern on images with people in it. A third pano was taken with people in different positions.
All images (21, 1 X 7 3 times) were detected in APG ver 3 B and the resulting pano showed the people as ghost images ( If the pano was processed ad a simple linear blend) This is how I expected the pano to turn out.
HOWEVER, The layers (If I Can call them that) with the people in them would look better if the exposure was a little darker.
Does anyboby know how those layers? can be manipulated.
The attached image is one post processed in photoshop.
Thanks for any reply

no avatar
tived

Info

by tived » Tue Oct 16, 2012 4:08 am

Hi,

you process the image in layers, then go into PS and open it up, at the base you may have a pano with no people at all, and then on the layers above you will have the layers with people on, simply just mask them on each layer till you have an image you are happy with - been doing this before where I had to do images where I need people to be in specific places, but also need to have the pano in good shape.... so i just shot it before or after without anyone in it

hope this helps

Henrik

gkaefer

Liked in: 15 posts
Info

by gkaefer » Tue Oct 16, 2012 10:26 am

and why did you not used the masking tool inside autopano?
just one green dot on a person you wanna keep and a red dot on those you see as ghost...
Georg

no avatar
irpano

Topic author
Info

by irpano » Wed Oct 17, 2012 12:00 am

Thanks Tived and George. I tried both methods suggested and Whilst the PS method worked best it reqiured a lot of masking to remove the unwanted areas with the people in it. The advantage was that I could adjusrt the transparancy of each layer to give a ghost effect.
George, I tried using the mask tool in APG BUT it left a edge line around each area removed. This then took a lot of repair in PS.
I was trying to get the best result with the least complicated method.. If I understood how APG controls each layers transparancy I could possibly get the result I was after.:)

no avatar
HansKeesom

Liked in: 2 posts
Info

by HansKeesom » Wed Oct 17, 2012 4:45 pm

I would love to put my teeth into it ;-) I think it can be done with autopano, easily with the masking tool
Regards, Hans Keesom
I stitch and render for other photographers. Price: 25 euro or less, no cure no pay. If you want to concentrate on your business let me do the stitching for you. Free TB of Dropbox space when you have more then 250 euro business a year.

no avatar
hermer-blr

Info

by hermer-blr » Wed Oct 17, 2012 5:40 pm

The way I would to it (time consuming, but straightforward and flexible in term of final result) is:

- Put all the images together in order to generate a unique .pano file!

- Mask the ghosts (Gimp, Photoshop) and generate (with the .pano) a panorama without any ghosts

- Make holes in the images (at the ghosts location) and generate (with the .pano) a panorama with the persons in full visibility

- Merge the two panoramas (Gimp or Photoshop) in 2 layers and make the ghosts appear separately under your full control !!!

For the masking and holes process, I recon that APG is not a good tool; for spherical panoramas, I use the demo version of PTGUI where I can control the ghosts and generate mask files that can be exported into Photoshop.
Nikon D5100 (formerly Nikon D60) - Sigma 10-20 - 24 shots Panoramas in 3 raws
Windows 32 bits - APG
website htt://jmh.trp.free.fr

no avatar
irpano

Topic author
Info

by irpano » Fri Oct 19, 2012 11:55 pm

I have been trying the methods suggested in the previous posts and am looking for a application that will effectively mask out areas from the background. In particular onese that can remove the foreground person from foliage and still retain the details on the edges.
Any one using a particular application.

no avatar
hermer-blr

Info

by hermer-blr » Sat Oct 20, 2012 9:17 am

As mentioned in my previous post, I use PTGUI (demo version, for free!) for spherical panoramas and I can thus generate very accurate masks that I use then in Gimp or photoshop to create .png files as inputs to APG. Did you try it with your own non spherical panoramas?

Go to jmh.trp.free.fr/New-York : All the panoramas there have been processed that way; furthermore, they were all bracketed panoramas : for those you need additional care to be taken, but you can export from PTGUI masks with 2 different colors; it helps!
Nikon D5100 (formerly Nikon D60) - Sigma 10-20 - 24 shots Panoramas in 3 raws
Windows 32 bits - APG
website htt://jmh.trp.free.fr