Flat Horizons ???  

Share your tips and tricks here or get help with any Autopano Pro / Giga problem!
No bug reports (of any kind) in this forum!
no avatar
Farrealm

Topic author
Liked in: 0 post
Info

Flat Horizons ???

by Farrealm » Sat Jul 21, 2012 11:27 am

Hi Everyone,

I posted a message about this a few months ago and still can't figure it out :(

Usually, Autopano works fine for me... no problems at all.

But... sometimes, typically when I have photos in a pretty flat landscape (and Australia sure is flat)... I end up with "wavy" or "S-shaped" horizons. No matter how much I try to correct (vertical lines, changing the centre-point, etc.) I can't get a straight horizon (see the example in this post).

I am just wondering what the problem is and how to fix it. I shot these images free-hand. Could it be the way I shot the images (I tend to not hold my camera perfectly straight). Is there a way to fix this in Autopano (I shot about 7 images over 160 degrees field of view)

Any suggestions, greatly appreciated!!!

Cheers!

Last edited by Farrealm on Sun Jul 22, 2012 10:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

klausesser

Liked in: 64 posts
Info

by klausesser » Sat Jul 21, 2012 1:30 pm

Farrealm wrote:Any suggestions, greatly appreciated!!!

Hi!

My own experiences show that it helps to shoot three rows for dealing with a straight horizon. Even if you don´t need the upper or lower rows it allows to get the image straightened.
At least i never had any issues to get the horizon straight . . . :cool:

The other way is to care taking the shots levelled by using the AF-fields in the viewfinder as markers.

best, Klaus
Last edited by klausesser on Sat Jul 21, 2012 1:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Simplicity is the keynote of all true elegance. Coco Chanel

a a gruntpuddock

Info

by a a gruntpuddock » Sat Jul 21, 2012 2:16 pm

This is usually caused by not keeping the camera axis vertical and can happen even using a tripod.

I can normally get most of it out by adjusting the position of the centre point, but sometimes you have to move the centre from side to side as well as up and down.

If you select planar layout, you might be able to straighten it by putting a series of horizontal lines along the horizon, but this can create unacceptable distortions elsewhere.
A sophistical rhetorician, inebriated with the exuberance of his own verbosity, and gifted with an egotistical imagination that can at all times command an interminable and inconsistent series of arguments to malign an opponent and to glorify himself.

no avatar
Destiny

Liked in: 228 posts
Info

by Destiny » Sun Jul 22, 2012 3:00 am

Hi.. You could, if you have it, just drop the image into PS and straighten it.. . Nice looking Billabong... ;)

Destiny...

Last edited by Destiny on Sun Jul 22, 2012 3:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
Primary School Teacher - Hobby Virtual Tours and 3D/360 Object/Product Photographer - Our aim is to create a 3D/360 Virtual Tour Shop/Store with links to 3D/360 degree products. My gear, VR Drive II - D90 - Nikon 10.5 fisheye - Nikon D800 with Nikon-Nikkor 14-24 - NOVOFLEX Magic Balance - Acratech GP Ball-head - Nodal Ninja 4 + RD-16 Rotor - Manfrotto 190CXPRO4 Carbon Fiber Tripod :) :)

no avatar
Farrealm

Topic author
Info

by Farrealm » Sun Jul 22, 2012 10:46 am

Hi Everyone,

Thanks for replying!

I guess there is no excuse for poor photography! Most of the time I don't have this problem. But this is when I plan to go out and shoot some panoramas with my D90. I usually take time to level my tripod and take lots of images. Hadn't thought about shooting multiple rows, I will definitely try this out next time. Thanks Klausesser! Sometimes you can't help yourself though. I ended up at this place and thought I'd give it a go with my 'pocket' Canon. I was in a rush as well...

Moving around the centre-point usually helps me out, or straightening the horizon bit by bit (also using vertical line). This shot is impossible though. PS is a great tool as well, I usually use it to get rid of "that final bit of distortion".

Yeah I know... Australia isn't all flat... :-) I lived near the Snowy Mountains for quite some years. I must say though, there are some amazingly flat landscapes in Australia. Just see the example above ("Hell's Gate"). This is a photo of the Hay Plains, west of Hay in NSW. It is absolutely flat (except some emus sticking out here and there) and stretches for about 130km (almost the width of The Netherlands). I lived in The Netherlands for 27 years and thought these Hay Plains were rather impressive! (I mean... it doesn't even have the equivalent of the Utrechtse Heuvelrug!).... flat as a pancake...

Thanks everyone...

Last edited by Farrealm on Sun Jul 22, 2012 10:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

no avatar
Farrealm

Topic author
Info

by Farrealm » Mon Jul 23, 2012 10:55 am

Thanks Artisan S. I appreciate your advice. Yes, I think it is something that is missing a bit (horizon tool). I think Autopano is a great bit of software. I spent quite some time trying all the different ones before I bought Autopano. At the time I thought it was the best and most user friendly stitching software (probably still is). There is the "Automatic Horizon" button but this doesn't seem to do much (in my experience). Possibly it is just difficult to develop for their IT guys? Anyway, I'll take more care with the control point. Cheers!

Last edited by Farrealm on Mon Jul 23, 2012 11:05 am, edited 1 time in total.

[bo]

Info

by [bo] » Tue Jul 24, 2012 4:23 pm

Just wanted to add a bit of advice to the topic, being a handheld panographer myself...

Most of my horizon problems are solved by re-creating the control points. Select each link, delete all CPs, create new CPs selecting segments of the photos near the horizon. Yes, that results in some problems in the foreground, but I rather retouch those than deal with a split seascape!
Some of my panoramas, posted in the Autopano Pro flickr group.

no avatar
Farrealm

Topic author
Info

by Farrealm » Thu Jul 26, 2012 8:24 am

Thanks [bo] and Artisan. Deleting the CPs did the trick. I got rid of all of them and just created new ones around the horizon... I ended up with a horizon that was slightly curved but with a bit of final correction in PS it looked perfect! :D
Last edited by Farrealm on Thu Jul 26, 2012 8:24 am, edited 1 time in total.