Control Points offset  

Share your tips and tricks here or get help with any Autopano Pro / Giga problem!
No bug reports (of any kind) in this forum!
no avatar
mikjoel

Topic author
Liked in: 0 post
Info

Control Points offset

by mikjoel » Wed Jun 13, 2012 10:57 am

Hello,

I've got a very strange problem when stitching panos. When I stitch pictures taken by my Olympus E330 all my panos seems to have a wrong aspect ratio, also the control points don't fit, also the program tells me that they are fine. All the control points have an offset off about half size of the picture. This happens only with pictures from the E330 - with my Canon or Olympus E30 all panos are ok. The Exif Data seems to be OK for the E330 pictures.
When stitching the panos the result is not acceptable ! Any Idea ( a picture which describes this behaviour better will follow in the afternoon )

The pictures show the control points with the offset
the pano after stitching
the pictures before stitching
and the preview window

Last edited by mikjoel on Wed Jun 13, 2012 2:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

klausesser

Liked in: 64 posts
Info

by klausesser » Wed Jun 13, 2012 2:23 pm

mikjoel wrote:Hello,

I've got a very strange problem when stitching panos. When I stitch pictures taken by my Olympus E330 all my panos seems to have a wrong aspect ratio, also the control points don't fit, also the program tells me that they are fine. All the control points have an offset off about half size of the picture. This happens only with pictures from the E330 - with my Canon or Olympus E30 all panos are ok. The Exif Data seems to be OK for the E330 pictures.
When stitching the panos the result is not acceptable ! Any Idea ( a picture which describes this behaviour better will follow in the afternoon )

Hi!

Try to use the manual settings for lens and camera. Maybe the EXIFs are not correct interpreted!

Is your camera in the list? If not: put it in!

best, Klaus
Simplicity is the keynote of all true elegance. Coco Chanel

no avatar
mikjoel

Topic author
Info

by mikjoel » Wed Jun 13, 2012 2:47 pm

I've uploaded pictures now !
Yes my camera is in the list !

gkaefer

Liked in: 15 posts
Info

by gkaefer » Wed Jun 13, 2012 3:47 pm

looking at your screenshots... question: do you use the newerst version 2.6.3?
looking at the screenshots and viewing them at x 100% in the sky ther're artefact which could be detected as controlpoints... are these artefacts also in the original images or is this only because of screenshot/upload/resized images?
Georg

no avatar
mikjoel

Topic author
Info

by mikjoel » Wed Jun 13, 2012 3:56 pm

Hi,

this is not the newest Version - I've also tried with it, but there 's the same problem.
The artefacts come from the screenshot.
The problem is only with pictures made with the Olympus E330 - not with my other cameras.

no avatar
mediavets

Liked in: 130 posts
Info

by mediavets » Wed Jun 13, 2012 3:57 pm

the pano after stitching
and the preview window

Very strange.

Can we have access to these four images so we can try and stitch them?
Andrew Stephens
Many different Nodal Ninja and Agnos pano heads. Merlin/Panogear mount with Papywizard on Nokia Internet tablets.
Nikon D5100 and D40, Sigma 8mm f3.5 FE, Nikon 10.5mm FE, 35mm, 50mm, 18-55mm, 70-210mm. Promote control.

no avatar
mikjoel

Topic author
Info

by mikjoel » Wed Jun 13, 2012 4:29 pm

mediavets wrote:

the pano after stitching
and the preview window

Very strange.

Can we have access to these four images so we can try and stitch them?

Hi - here are the originals:

- I've removed the link again - problem solved
Last edited by mikjoel on Wed Jun 13, 2012 8:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

no avatar
hankkarl

Info

by hankkarl » Wed Jun 13, 2012 6:45 pm

Try using detection set to low. It may be that you have a sensor with some differences between the pixels. If APP only uses lumiance for detection, it may pick up these paterns. detection set to low decimates the pixels and may smooth out the differences between pixels.

Also, running a smoothing filter on the files before stitching will eliminate the pixel differences, and show if I"m right or wrong.

no avatar
mediavets

Info

by mediavets » Wed Jun 13, 2012 6:56 pm

It's weird.

APG (2.52 in this instance) seems to be locating CPs outside the image.

Were these images shot handheld in full auto mode?

Last edited by mediavets on Wed Jun 13, 2012 7:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Andrew Stephens
Many different Nodal Ninja and Agnos pano heads. Merlin/Panogear mount with Papywizard on Nokia Internet tablets.
Nikon D5100 and D40, Sigma 8mm f3.5 FE, Nikon 10.5mm FE, 35mm, 50mm, 18-55mm, 70-210mm. Promote control.

no avatar
mikjoel

Topic author
Info

by mikjoel » Wed Jun 13, 2012 7:08 pm

The pictures where taken in handheld "Auto Modus" with fixed white balance.
I'm sure there's something wrong with the exif data - I just deleted the exif data of some sample pictures and tried to stitch them again - voila - then it works.

I've no idea what happened to the exif data of all my olympus e330 pictures ( I did not touch these pictures for 2 years now )

no avatar
mikjoel

Topic author
Info

by mikjoel » Wed Jun 13, 2012 7:09 pm

hankkarl wrote:Try using detection set to low. It may be that you have a sensor with some differences between the pixels. If APP only uses lumiance for detection, it may pick up these paterns. detection set to low decimates the pixels and may smooth out the differences between pixels.

Also, running a smoothing filter on the files before stitching will eliminate the pixel differences, and show if I"m right or wrong.

I've tried this - there is no change in the behaviour

no avatar
mediavets

Info

by mediavets » Wed Jun 13, 2012 7:16 pm

mikjoel wrote:The pictures where taken in handheld "Auto Modus" with fixed white balance.
I'm sure there's something wrong with the exif data - I just deleted the exif data of some sample pictures and tried to stitch them again - voila - then it works.

I've no idea what happened to the exif data of all my olympus e330 pictures ( I did not touch these pictures for 2 years now )

It is something to do with the orientation of the images.

APG is not handling the portrait orientation correctly.

I rotated the images 90 degrees counter clockwise in an image editor, saved them, and reloaded and then all is OK.

Last edited by mediavets on Wed Jun 13, 2012 7:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Andrew Stephens

no avatar
mikjoel

Topic author
Info

by mikjoel » Wed Jun 13, 2012 7:31 pm

Thank you -you're right, after rotating them it works perfect again.
Now I just have to figure out what "rotated" my pictures !

no avatar
marzipano

Liked in: 14 posts
Info

by marzipano » Wed Jun 13, 2012 7:46 pm

I seem to recall reading somewhere that Microsoft Picture and Fax viewer loses the exif orientation info if the rotation option is used. Some of the camera companies published warnings a while ago

could it be this ?

no avatar
mikjoel

Topic author
Info

by mikjoel » Wed Jun 13, 2012 8:03 pm

Usually I rotate my pictures with the losless transformation of "irfanview"

DrSlony

Info

by DrSlony » Fri Jun 15, 2012 8:35 pm

You haven't made your source photos public so I can't check. Check them yourself, use a proper exif viewer and make sure the orientation information of the rotated images is correct. If it is not, file a bug at irfanview's website.

AlexandreJ
Kolor Team

Liked in: 10 posts
Info

by AlexandreJ » Wed Jun 20, 2012 8:51 am

When CP are outside of image, it is quite always due to orientation of image. You can check that in one click by opening the integrated viewer in autopano.
Put the images in a group, double click on one : if what you see ( a landscape or portrait image ) doesn't match the WxH value, then you have that orientation issue. It does still happen with some cameras or software that produces wrong exif value. It then creates issue on our software. My fix is to open these image in Photoshop, and save them again to fix metadata.

no avatar
mikjoel

Topic author
Info

by mikjoel » Thu Jun 21, 2012 5:53 pm

Hi - you're right, but I still have no idea what messed up my Exif Data - only the Exif Data of my Olympus E330 are wrong.
They are a few years old - when I stitched them the first time everything was ok - now I wanted to rebuild some panos and the are messed up.
( I used the same Version of APG now and then )