Samyang Fisheye parameters  

Share your tips and tricks here or get help with any Autopano Pro / Giga problem!
No bug reports (of any kind) in this forum!
no avatar
hermer-blr

Topic author
Liked in: 0 post
Info

Samyang Fisheye parameters

by hermer-blr » Thu May 03, 2012 12:02 pm

I just bought a Samyang fisheye (Nikon AE version) and I would like which lens correction settingsI should use for it. Until now, with my wide angle lens, I had put every parameters to "automatic" and it worked fine !
Nikon D5100 (formerly Nikon D60) - Sigma 10-20 - 24 shots Panoramas in 3 raws
Windows 32 bits - APG
website htt://jmh.trp.free.fr

no avatar
mediavets

Liked in: 130 posts
Info

by mediavets » Thu May 03, 2012 12:25 pm

As I recall this lens does not provide lens details in the EXIF?

If that's the case with the AE version then you need to specifiy a focal length of 9mm (people say that's best for this lens) and change the lens type to Fisheye and check the Crop circle.
Andrew Stephens
Many different Nodal Ninja and Agnos pano heads. Merlin/Panogear mount with Papywizard on Nokia Internet tablets.
Nikon D5100 and D40, Sigma 8mm f3.5 FE, Nikon 10.5mm FE, 35mm, 50mm, 18-55mm, 70-210mm. Promote control.

gkaefer

Liked in: 15 posts
Info

by gkaefer » Thu May 03, 2012 1:25 pm

isnt it labeled with 8mm?
(I allways was satisfied using 8mm & fisheye & setting correct crop factor...)

and take care to set the NPP ... the golden ring.... 1mm or 2mm from golden ring in direction to the camera
you've to test the values for your camera&lens combo. even 2mm placed wrong and you get a lot of postproduction work to do to solve stitching errors.
Georg
Last edited by gkaefer on Thu May 03, 2012 1:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

no avatar
mediavets

Liked in: 130 posts
Info

by mediavets » Thu May 03, 2012 2:24 pm

gkaefer wrote:isnt it labeled with 8mm?
(I allways was satisfied using 8mm & fisheye & setting correct crop factor...)

Some of the branded clones are labelled 6.5mm and 7mm I believe.

I have read that PTGui users seem to thing that 9mm works best for them.

I don't think it matters so much with APP/APG because as I recall the focal elngth for FE lenses is just used a as 'guide' and the software computes a value for FE lenses.
Andrew Stephens
Many different Nodal Ninja and Agnos pano heads. Merlin/Panogear mount with Papywizard on Nokia Internet tablets.
Nikon D5100 and D40, Sigma 8mm f3.5 FE, Nikon 10.5mm FE, 35mm, 50mm, 18-55mm, 70-210mm. Promote control.

no avatar
hermer-blr

Topic author
Info

by hermer-blr » Thu May 03, 2012 6:03 pm

Thanks for those answers. I note from your comments that 9 mm (while the lens is labelled 8 mm) may be worth testing..

But my question, in fact, was not this. In the APG settings, you have to define your lens CORRECTION settings. Until now, I set them to automatic and it worked fine with my wide angle lens.

What should I do with the SAMYANG fisheye, especially for the distortion model ? I think that keeping focal calculation and distortion calculation to automatic will be fine. Does that however make sense if distortion calculation is set to automatic to set up a specific distortion model ?

Reference: optimization tab - Lens distortion correction (focal calculation, distortion calculation, distortion model)
Last edited by hermer-blr on Thu May 03, 2012 6:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Windows 32 bits - APG

gkaefer

Liked in: 15 posts
Info

by gkaefer » Thu May 03, 2012 7:14 pm

hermer-blr wrote:Thanks for those answers. I note from your comments that 9 mm (while the lens is labelled 8 mm) may be worth testing..

But my question, in fact, was not this. In the APG settings, you have to define your lens CORRECTION settings. Until now, I set them to automatic and it worked fine with my wide angle lens.

What should I do with the SAMYANG fisheye, especially for the distortion model ? I think that keeping focal calculation and distortion calculation to automatic will be fine. Does that however make sense if distortion calculation is set to automatic to set up a specific distortion model ?

Reference: optimization tab - Lens distortion correction (focal calculation, distortion calculation, distortion model)

to be honest - I never cared - it allways worked with the default values - never used lens correction in APG with Samyang lenses (also not with the 85mm)
Georg

no avatar
Jeremiah

Info

by Jeremiah » Thu May 03, 2012 10:14 pm

I have a samyang (branded rokinon) and a canon t2i. The defaults work fine.
The only thing I have to change is manually telling it that the images are fisheye since the lens doesn't talk to the camera.
I've mentioned my setup before (http://www.kolor.com/forum/p94459-2012-02-01-19-49-18#p94459), but since you have the AE version of the lens I expect that you will probably be able to stitch without changing anything at all from the defaults.

no avatar
hermer-blr

Topic author
Info

by hermer-blr » Sat May 05, 2012 10:18 am

Thanks for support.

I can confirm that having the AE version of the lens the fisheye is automatically recognized by APG, based on....

...the fact that I have incorporated the lens in the lens database (it was not there).
Windows 32 bits - APG