Question related to "lens distortion correcting"  

Share your tips and tricks here or get help with any Autopano Pro / Giga problem!
No bug reports (of any kind) in this forum!
klausesser

Topic author
Liked in: 64 posts
Info

Question related to "lens distortion correcting"

by klausesser » Wed Apr 04, 2012 1:07 pm

Hi!

I always use only one lens for shooting a pano - i use prime-lenses with minimal distortion: 20, 35, 85, 105, 300 besides a 15mm Canon fisheye.
I always use f8 or f11 fixed during a shooting.

So would i make sense to use lens didtortion correction? Which option would be best? I guess it must be "force identic" IF to use it at all!?
What about "Distortion Model"? It can´t be unchecked.

With the fisheye it´s clear: here distortion correction is obvious.

But what about the prime-lenses?

best, Klaus
Simplicity is the keynote of all true elegance. Coco Chanel

no avatar
hankkarl

Liked in: 0 post
Info

by hankkarl » Mon Apr 09, 2012 7:00 pm

Hi Klaus,

remember that rectilinear lenses distort the image by means of glass lenses in order to get straight lines in the real world straight on your images. I find lens distortion is very important with a Sigma 12-24 EX. Not as good a lens as what you have, but not an entry level model either. For example, people are thiner at the center of the lens, but "fatter" near the left or right edge. Corners are worse. And even prime lenses may have some distortion. I'd want a prime for its sharpness. Lens distortion can be fixed in PP.

I think that fisheye lenses don't distort the image as much as rectilinear ones.

But images from both lens types have to be distorted to fit into a 360x180 rectangle that APP produces.

I also think that at least part of the distortion APP corrects for is an off center image sensor or lens (lens mount, lens element, etc). I suspect camera makers optimize flattness of the sensor and don't worry so much about xy positioning. And the vibrational dust control systems may not have repeatability to the pixel level of accuracy

klausesser

Topic author
Liked in: 64 posts
Info

by klausesser » Mon Apr 09, 2012 9:23 pm

hankkarl wrote:remember that rectilinear lenses distort the image by means of glass lenses in order to get straight lines in the real world straight on your images. I find lens distortion is very important with a Sigma 12-24 EX. Not as good a lens as what you have, but not an entry level model either. For example, people are thiner at the center of the lens, but "fatter" near the left or right edge. Corners are worse. And even prime lenses may have some distortion. I'd want a prime for its sharpness. Lens distortion can be fixed in PP.

Hi Hank!

Yes - i know about lens-distotions ;). But what i meant was whether it´s related to any EXIFs or whether it recognizes any kind of distortion which occurs
visually - if there´s any.

My question was whether to use it generally or only to EXIF-providing lenses or so. Using it with fisheyes is logical - defined distortions related to the kind of projection.

The other way would be to use a dedicated lens-correction application first before importing it into APG. But the the same question rises: what about the setting: "lens correction"?

best, Klaus
Simplicity is the keynote of all true elegance. Coco Chanel