Help please! - Stitching 360 degree image - parallax errors?  

Share your tips and tricks here or get help with any Autopano Pro / Giga problem!
No bug reports (of any kind) in this forum!
no avatar

Topic author
Liked in: 0 post
Info

Help please! - Stitching 360 degree image - parallax errors?

by 360 » Tue Mar 13, 2012 11:56 pm

Relatively new to APP - but on the whole seems to do what I want. Spurred on by this (way better than the built in features of CS3) - I've been trying to make a 360 panorama, shot from the roof of 'a bigish building' somewhere in London.

I have a full set of maybe 60 photos, taken from a round 'pod/turret' on the top of the building - the sort of thing you'd find holding lift motors, water tanks etc etc. Pod is several meters wide and I've taken my photos walking round the edge. It's not possible to take the photos from the centre of the 'pod' due to rooftop clutter.

When I come to stitch this together - I get mega parallax errors (is that the correct term) - my photos are hardly taken from the lens's nodal point. I can manually set control points on objects - but this isn't helping - how do I go about stitching a panorama like this. I guess some sort of distortion needs to be applied to the images - stretch them to fit at the bottom of each image?

Any easy way to do this? Currently have latest version of AutoPano Pro, (and PS CS3 - not that i'm really looking to do it by hand)
Here's an example - a more boring part of the 360 view - but it shows the issue.

Thanks in advance :)

Last edited by 360 on Tue Mar 13, 2012 11:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

gkaefer

Liked in: 15 posts
Info

by gkaefer » Wed Mar 14, 2012 1:55 am

Any easy way to do this?

no.
panormastitching is based on having an optimum placed nodal point.
So you displaced your NPP 5m, so only option in autopano I know which takes into account of non-placed NPP is "group settings->optimizations->Lens disortion correction->Multiple Vierwpoints". But I doubt it can solve such a disaligned NPP...

Georg
Last edited by gkaefer on Wed Mar 14, 2012 1:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

AlexandreJ
Kolor Team

Liked in: 10 posts
Info

by AlexandreJ » Wed Mar 14, 2012 8:35 am

Note : this is an editor screenshot. Some algorithms like antighost just run during rendering. Try to produce the panorama to see what it will really give.

no avatar
digipano

Info

by digipano » Wed Mar 14, 2012 9:23 am

Looking at the object distance if you got good enough overlap in shots then this can be done with Multiple Vierwpoints option.

no avatar
marzipano

Liked in: 14 posts
Info

by marzipano » Wed Mar 14, 2012 9:41 am

The original poster implies he uses APP not APG which does not contain the "multiple viewpoints" option which might have been useful to solve this problem

This is a common problem when 360 revolution around a fixed point is impossible such as viewing galleries on top of tall buildings or (recently for me) on the "London Eye" revolving wheel

I found that the parallax problem on the near foreground is too extreme to handle and the only solution was to crop out the foreground and then resolve any less serious stitching issues in the mid- and background using a digital editor like PSP or Paint.net

no avatar

Topic author
Info

by 360 » Wed Mar 14, 2012 7:08 pm

Thanks everyone for your feedback.
It's interesting that I'm not alone here - others have had issues when shooting from tower blocks etc. Kolor need to make more software for this!
That aside I could crop the image, but that would be a shame as i'd loose part of the building - it's not very interesting in the example i've shown here, but looking the otherway it is.
The rendered image (with anti-ghost) is better but at the same time worse - there are less "duplicates" - but some very big jumps in places.

I will download a trial of APG and see what that offers for the extra cash.

no avatar
hermer-blr

Info

by hermer-blr » Wed Mar 14, 2012 8:57 pm

A suggestion that may work to a certain extent:

When you stitch your pictures together, select the control points as being part of the background : ie do not try to align the short range objects that will cause parallax.

When this is done and when you get a perfect result (except for those objects), save the .pano file.

Then use gimp or photoshop (with alpha channels) to erase these objects on all but one of the images : in general they should be present on 2 images; so select one of the two images to erase the object. Save the image in .png format.

Modify the .pano file (eg with wordpad) in order to change the names of the modified files to their new name with the .png extension

Open the new panorama and render it... You may get a good result ! It is worth trying.
Nikon D5100 (formerly Nikon D60) - Sigma 10-20 - 24 shots Panoramas in 3 raws
Windows 32 bits - APG
website htt://jmh.trp.free.fr