Having some really hard time stitching this panorama.  

Share your tips and tricks here or get help with any Autopano Pro / Giga problem!
No bug reports (of any kind) in this forum!
no avatar
MFranquelo

Topic author
Liked in: 0 post
Info

Having some really hard time stitching this panorama.

by MFranquelo » Tue Mar 13, 2012 12:46 am

Hello all, im currently so stressed trying to stitch this panorama and i don´t really know what am i doing wrong...:(

Image 1 : images 24 25 26 and 27 are just sky, autopano cant find any control points resulting in a complete mess of a stitch

No parallax point is set correctly
The panorama was made by my Panogear (i used the XML info like is showed on image 2, maybe im not using it correctly?)
What can i do ? im so stressed becouse i really need to stitch this panorama for my work

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Thank you a lot
Manuel Franquelo.
Last edited by MFranquelo on Tue Mar 13, 2012 12:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

no avatar
MFranquelo

Topic author
Info

by MFranquelo » Tue Mar 13, 2012 1:14 am

The wires are my main nightmare, and also the portions of the sky where there is no detail, not a single cloud :(

DrSlony

Info

by DrSlony » Tue Mar 13, 2012 3:09 am

You've learned your lesson - everything has its technical limitations and you must adapt :]
When shooting clear skies and especially wires, use a fisheye. That way you are likely to capture all the wires in a single shot, and your single shot will also have unique features where CPs can be placed, not just one large uniform area.

Your screenshot is very small and doesn't really show what the problem is.
If you need help with fixing the wires in post-processing, let me know and I can show you how to easily do it. Well, relatively easy, but it's still a lot of work.

no avatar
mediavets

Liked in: 130 posts
Info

by mediavets » Tue Mar 13, 2012 6:00 am

MFranquelo wrote:Hello all, im currently so stressed trying to stitch this panorama and i don´t really know what am i doing wrong...:(

Which version of Autopano Pro/Giga are you using and on which operating system?
Last edited by mediavets on Tue Mar 13, 2012 6:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
Andrew Stephens
Many different Nodal Ninja and Agnos pano heads. Merlin/Panogear mount with Papywizard on Nokia Internet tablets.
Nikon D5100 and D40, Sigma 8mm f3.5 FE, Nikon 10.5mm FE, 35mm, 50mm, 18-55mm, 70-210mm. Promote control.

AlexandreJ
Kolor Team

Liked in: 10 posts
Info

by AlexandreJ » Tue Mar 13, 2012 9:10 am

1) First, use the lastest beta version
2) Check the exif of input image. When you have isolated sky images which are really bigger or smaller than the rest of the images, it's a focal length issue. Check that using the latest beta in first tab : it will show exif recorded in xml and stored in exif.

no avatar
MFranquelo

Topic author
Info

by MFranquelo » Tue Mar 13, 2012 11:38 am

Thank you all for your responses!

Slony : Thats true, i still need to learn my technical limitations depending on the scene, i shooted with a 24mm lens becouse i need that high of resolution to print his image at
2 meters x 1 meter at 290 ppi or so :(
I could use some help for sure, you mean with perspective planes on photoshop ?
I´ll PM you if i can´t manage to do a proper stitch, thank you!

Mediavets : actually im using autopano 2.6.0 RC on win7 1 i´ll update it now

AlexandreJ : Every image has the same focal length, i guess, i´ll update to the latest version now and check what your telling me

Thank you all for the support its really appreciated :)
Last edited by MFranquelo on Tue Mar 13, 2012 11:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

no avatar
MFranquelo

Topic author
Info

by MFranquelo » Tue Mar 13, 2012 11:47 am

Okay i´ve checked the EXIF with the latest version of autopano...
it says that the XML focal is : 0.00 mm .. how is that possible ?
and the image EXIF focal is 37mm (24mm equivalent with my sensor)
maybe this is causing some errors ?

Thank you

edit :

this is the best stitch i could achieve... i moved some images manually

- This last one stitched pretty well except for some wires which i could fix in PP, the problem is, that i need to do an HDR with this image for further tonemaping on another software (hdr efex pro)
Last edited by MFranquelo on Tue Mar 13, 2012 1:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

AlexandreJ
Kolor Team

Liked in: 10 posts
Info

by AlexandreJ » Tue Mar 13, 2012 12:01 pm

How was the XML generated ? Papywizard ? VRDrive 2 ?
The xml is wrong, but as we added some check, it should do the right job in this case.

no avatar
MFranquelo

Topic author
Info

by MFranquelo » Tue Mar 13, 2012 12:28 pm

Panogear generated it (the touch control hardware that is)

klausesser

Liked in: 64 posts
Info

by klausesser » Tue Mar 13, 2012 1:23 pm

MFranquelo wrote:i shooted with a 24mm lens becouse i need that high of resolution to print his image at
2 meters x 1 meter at 290 ppi or so :(

Hi Manuel!

Pictures of a size about 2x1m rarely are printed in a higher resolution than 120 - 150dpi. It would make no sense at all to get bigger. That´s because the viewing distance you look at those pictures.
This photo seems to have an angle of 180°. This angle you can´t get plan-projected. A planar-projection works good up to 100° and near-good up to 120-130° using some correction in Photoshop.

So for a hires image i suggest at least 35mm on fullframe. Really hires you achieve using 85mm and up on fullframe. If you want to print a stitched image with a planar projectiopn be aware of using an angle not wider than 120°. That´s very wide anyway and the natural distortions are heavy.

I also use the T&C touch-conroller with APG import. The T&C writes the focal-lenght into the xml - but APG ignores that. Whether it has changed in the last RC i´ll check. So better write the focal-length and sensor-size into the prefs before stitching.
The major problem in my eyes is to find the correct setting for the import.

best, Klaus
Simplicity is the keynote of all true elegance. Coco Chanel

no avatar
MFranquelo

Topic author
Info

by MFranquelo » Tue Mar 13, 2012 1:38 pm

Hello klaus!
good point there, the thing is, that in some projects which im currently doing, ( like photos of still life compositions )
i want people to move so close to the photo so they can even appreciate the dust on the glass and its little reflections, and i need resolution & depth of field for that.

depth of field is not so critical in this photo becouse my subject is pretty away from me , and also im shooting with a wide focal length.

- Yes thats right, it haves an angle of 180º :), im using cylindrical projection in this case becouse it gives me a nicer image ratio for me
- I wish i had a full frame camera with me, its the next thing im going to buy for sure, (i´ll have less depth of field tho, nothing is free)
- I already updated to the last RC and it still ignores it i think

- also in image properties i told APG the crop factor (nikon d7000 profile) & the focal length before stitching

Thank you klaus
regards, Manuel.
Last edited by MFranquelo on Tue Mar 13, 2012 1:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

klausesser

Liked in: 64 posts
Info

by klausesser » Tue Mar 13, 2012 2:25 pm

MFranquelo wrote:- I wish i had a full frame camera with me, its the next thing im going to buy for sure, (i´ll have less depth of field tho, nothing is free)

Hey Manuel!

Extreme DOF you can achieve by shooting the same scene several times using different focus-settings each time. Then you put the stitched images into a focus-stacker and it will merge them to one image
with very wide DOF. Try HeliconFocus, PhotoAcute or CombineZ for that.

best, Klaus
Simplicity is the keynote of all true elegance. Coco Chanel

no avatar
MFranquelo

Topic author
Info

by MFranquelo » Tue Mar 13, 2012 2:32 pm

Yes i want to do focus stacking on a near future, though i have enough problems right now with HDRs and the proper workflow and im afraid im not ready yet to implement focus stacking ^^
im already planning to buy helicon focus when they release the bulb option in 2-3 months, really amazing software.

gkaefer

Liked in: 15 posts
Info

by gkaefer » Tue Mar 13, 2012 2:46 pm

MFranquelo wrote:Yes i want to do focus stacking on a near future, though i have enough problems right now with HDRs and the proper workflow and im afraid im not ready yet to implement focus stacking ^^
im already planning to buy helicon focus when they release the bulb option in 2-3 months, really amazing software.

zerene stacker is better supported by autopano, the commandline part of zerene can be used in combination with autopano plugin... see autopano->image group-> plugin wizzard->external stacking
(and helicon not...) in my personal test I got better manual results with the zerene, in special when the images you want to stack are not absolute pixelprecise aligned, from gui I would prefer the helicon...)

http://zerenesystems.com/cms/home

Liebe grüàŸe,
Georg
Last edited by gkaefer on Tue Mar 13, 2012 2:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

no avatar
MFranquelo

Topic author
Info

by MFranquelo » Tue Mar 13, 2012 3:05 pm

the thing is that the pererfect set up would be this one : tethered shooting incluiding focus stacking and HDR (with bulb option for long exposures), currently, helicon focus is the only software that gives me that option at the moment, (not bulb right now but in a few months it will be available)

- promote control does not allow focus stacking in nikon cameras becouse there is no possiblity to activable live view or something like that
- nkremote does not allow bulb exposures

i currently have 2 workflows for HDR

1. use 5 different exposure, but exactly same stitched panoramas, (in Ptgui using templates or APG) to create a HDR image and then tonemap it
2. do a template with jpge images of the panorama, merge each individual image into a 32 bit image . HDR in HDR expose, and then stitch using the template, render .HDR of the panorama, and then tonemap it in your favourite tonemap software

3.tonemap first each individual image and then stitch the panorama, this is crazy becouse you don´t have control in tonemaping as a whole (panorama), your tonemaping is going to be very different depending in each file
though sometimes works and its OKm atleast for me.

I don´t really want to go off topic becouse im still having some really stress time with this panorama :( any more suggestions are really appreciated !
Thank you all for the fast responses
regards, Manuel.
Last edited by MFranquelo on Tue Mar 13, 2012 3:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

DrSlony

Info

by DrSlony » Wed Mar 14, 2012 10:55 pm

MFranquelo regarding your point 3: you can do global tonemapping first, which makes sure no part of your photo is over or under exposed but it doesn't give you that 'pop hdr' look which you might be after to some degree. The good thing about this is that you can first tonemap your photos using a global tonemapper, then focus-stack the various global tonemapped shots of the same point of view, then stitch those resulting images, and then finally tonemap the whole panorama again using a local tonemapper for that typical 'hdr-look' (or photomatix look). As long as you stick to no less than a 16 bit workflow you will be fine. But it is a lot of work, only for well-paying customers :]

no avatar
MFranquelo

Topic author
Info

by MFranquelo » Wed Mar 14, 2012 11:39 pm

Let me see if i got you right DrSlony ^^

you mean this ? 1. first create HDR file of each photo merging exposures in any hdr program like HDR expose or photomatix 32 bit intermediary image
focus stack each 32 bit hdr image, stitch, and then global tonemap the whole panorama ?

sorry if i missunderstood :rolleyes:
Thank you!

no avatar
MFranquelo

Topic author
Info

by MFranquelo » Wed Mar 14, 2012 11:43 pm

This is how its going, i managed to "properly" stitch everything, this is the resulting tonemapped HDR using 5 different exposure panoramas
i had to do some post processing on the upper wires tho, also some part on the right side of the image needs some little adjusting
critiques are very welcome :) (the color is sohorrible on this image.. its pretty more saturated on my file)
regards, Manuel.
Last edited by MFranquelo on Wed Mar 14, 2012 11:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

no avatar
mediavets

Liked in: 130 posts
Info

by mediavets » Wed Mar 14, 2012 11:49 pm

I am a bit surprised that you needed to bracket exposures and process as HDR when shooting this outdoor scene.
Last edited by mediavets on Thu Mar 15, 2012 12:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
Andrew Stephens
Many different Nodal Ninja and Agnos pano heads. Merlin/Panogear mount with Papywizard on Nokia Internet tablets.
Nikon D5100 and D40, Sigma 8mm f3.5 FE, Nikon 10.5mm FE, 35mm, 50mm, 18-55mm, 70-210mm. Promote control.

no avatar
MFranquelo

Topic author
Info

by MFranquelo » Wed Mar 14, 2012 11:55 pm

mediavets - I shooted this image during the dawn, the sun was just coming up from behind the building, so the building was so dark.
also i love HDR becouse of its post processing capabitilies :D

DrSlony

Info

by DrSlony » Sun Mar 18, 2012 6:26 pm

MFranquelo wrote:Let me see if i got you right DrSlony ^^
you mean this ? 1. first create HDR file of each photo merging exposures in any hdr program like HDR expose or photomatix 32 bit intermediary image
focus stack each 32 bit hdr image, stitch, and then global tonemap the whole panorama ?

I don't know of any program that can focus-stack HDR images (though on the other hand I haven't tried this, so I'm only assuming they can't do that), that's why I suggested first batch-tonemapping the HDRs and then focus-stacking the tonemapped images.

Good job on the pano!
I would crop off the sky at the top, and try a different projection mode so its not so vertically stretched. The postprocessing colors look fitting to the scene. There is some posterization in the sky above the wires, perhaps you didn't stick to a 16bit workflow?

a a gruntpuddock

Info

by a a gruntpuddock » Sun Mar 18, 2012 6:37 pm

I had all sorts of problems with a pano which had many all-sky shots.

I eventually found that by switching on the grid and looking at the shot numbers, I could move each photo into sequence and place it fairly accurately.
A sophistical rhetorician, inebriated with the exuberance of his own verbosity, and gifted with an egotistical imagination that can at all times command an interminable and inconsistent series of arguments to malign an opponent and to glorify himself.