Correct exposure - Hard Light from windows  

Share your tips and tricks here or get help with any Autopano Pro / Giga problem!
No bug reports (of any kind) in this forum!
no avatar
Marknot

Topic author
Liked in: 0 post
Info

Correct exposure - Hard Light from windows

by Marknot » Mon Mar 12, 2012 1:38 pm

Hello, i'm asking an advice, wich one are the best way to shot a panorama if in the room are many windows?? the only way to show out of the windows is HDR? or there are any other methods?
Thanks in advance :rolleyes:

klausesser

Liked in: 64 posts
Info

by klausesser » Mon Mar 12, 2012 1:44 pm

Marknot wrote:Hello, i'm asking an advice, wich one are the best way to shot a panorama if in the room are many windows?? the only way to show out of the windows is HDR? or there are any other methods?

A bracketes series definitely is the best way. At least 3 steps - ideally more. Depends on the differences between inside and outside. 3 steps usually do it well.
Doesn´t have to be HDR - DRI/ExposureBlending would do it also. But HDR and tone-compressing or tone-mapping provides more options than DRI/ExposureBlending.

best, Klaus
Simplicity is the keynote of all true elegance. Coco Chanel

no avatar
Marknot

Topic author
Info

by Marknot » Mon Mar 12, 2012 1:51 pm

Thanks again for your help! :)

no avatar
Marknot

Topic author
Info

by Marknot » Mon Mar 12, 2012 4:06 pm

klausesser wrote:
Marknot wrote:Hello, i'm asking an advice, wich one are the best way to shot a panorama if in the room are many windows?? the only way to show out of the windows is HDR? or there are any other methods?

A bracketes series definitely is the best way. At least 3 steps - ideally more. Depends on the differences between inside and outside. 3 steps usually do it well.
Doesn´t have to be HDR - DRI/ExposureBlending would do it also. But HDR and tone-compressing or tone-mapping provides more options than DRI/ExposureBlending.

best, Klaus

In your experience, wich method is the best:
1. take 3 shot for each point that i need ( in my case 21 )
2. merge in photomatix everyone ( result 7 HDR photo )
3. create the panorama with autopano
or
1. the same as before
2. create 3 panorama with autopano with the exposure ( 3 panorama with different exposure )
3. merge in photomatix the 3 panorama.

Thanks so much!

no avatar
jeradg

Info

by jeradg » Tue Mar 13, 2012 8:05 pm

Marknot wrote:
klausesser wrote:

best, Klaus

or
1. the same as before
2. create 3 panorama with autopano with the exposure ( 3 panorama with different exposure )

Thanks so much!

I have been doing merge and creation of HDR all within autopano, and then editing the HDR with photoshop cs5. I am curious about the same thing though, which order of programs seems to work best?

klausesser

Info

by klausesser » Tue Mar 13, 2012 11:17 pm

Marknot wrote:
klausesser wrote:

best, Klaus

or
1. the same as before

Thanks so much!

Hii Mark!

I prefer the first method. Choose carefully an image which stands for all for adjsuting the mapping.

best, Klaus

klausesser

Info

by klausesser » Tue Mar 13, 2012 11:20 pm

Marknot wrote:
klausesser wrote:

best, Klaus

or
1. the same as before

Thanks so much!

Hii Mark!

I prefer the first method. Choose carefully an image which stands for all for adjsuting the mapping.

best, Klaus

no avatar
jeradg

Info

by jeradg » Tue Mar 13, 2012 11:22 pm

klausesser wrote:
Marknot wrote:
klausesser wrote:A bracketes series definitely is the best way. At least 3 steps - ideally more. Depends on the differences between inside and outside. 3 steps usually do it well.

best, Klaus

or
1. the same as before

Thanks so much!

Hii Mark!

best, Klaus

Sorry Klaus, but I don't understand what "which stands for all for adjusting the mapping" means...? If you could explain?

klausesser

Info

by klausesser » Tue Mar 13, 2012 11:36 pm

jeradg wrote:Sorry Klaus, but I don't understand what "which stands for all for adjusting the mapping" means...? If you could explain?

When you select one image for mapping a set of 6 or more this image should be of an average kind - representing all images.

With a bit of experience this way works quite well.

Rendering three or more different panos and mapping them afterwards can produce mismatches - i had that several times.
They would have to be stitched and rendered 100% identical.

best, Klaus

no avatar
jeradg

Info

by jeradg » Wed Mar 14, 2012 12:56 am

klausesser wrote:
jeradg wrote:Sorry Klaus, but I don't understand what "which stands for all for adjusting the mapping" means...? If you could explain?

When you select one image for mapping a set of 6 or more this image should be of an average kind - representing all images.

With a bit of experience this way works quite well.

Rendering three or more different panos and mapping them afterwards can produce mismatches - i had that several times.
They would have to be stitched and rendered 100% identical.

best, Klaus

Thanks Klaus.

I took 5 exposures of each location, then I created my HDR images in Photoshop (4 total), imported to APP, set my Aperture at 3.5 and 8.0mm focal length (since I don't have existing exif data), and set my usual settings for HDR creation. Now I am attempting to use the HDR color correction within APP, but when I turn it on no matter what I do the entire image is white.

Granted, this is my first time using HDR color correction, so I may be missing something important, and I'm not a real photographer and I don't even know what my aperture was supposed to be (if that matters for this problem).

DrSlony

Info

by DrSlony » Wed Mar 14, 2012 10:47 pm

jeradg: "then I created my HDR images in Photoshop" to be clear, do you mean real HDR images (logluv TIFF, EXR or RGBE) or tonemapped images?

"and set my usual settings for HDR creation" if you already fed AutoPano HDR images, what HDR creation do you want to do? Do you mean stitching? Or do you mean you fed AP some LDR bracketed images and want to create a HDR out of them? Or you fed APG LDR images and want to get a fused result?

no avatar
Rud

Info

by Rud » Mon Mar 26, 2012 7:31 pm

jeradg wrote:
klausesser wrote:
Marknot wrote:In your experience, wich method is the best:
or
1. the same as before

Thanks so much!

Hii Mark!

best, Klaus

Sorry Klaus, but I don't understand what "which stands for all for adjusting the mapping" means...? If you could explain?

Prefer the sesond one.. but when I try to stitch the -2 exposure shots everytime Giga correct the images to a normal exposure.. why this ???

How I can stitch this shots and become a -2 exp. shot as well ?!?!