Controlling size of exported tour using Panotour Pro  

Share your tips and tricks here or get help with any Autopano Pro / Giga problem!
No bug reports (of any kind) in this forum!
no avatar
benpopik

Topic author
Liked in: 0 post
Info

Controlling size of exported tour using Panotour Pro

by benpopik » Mon Mar 12, 2012 1:38 am

I'm exporting a tour for the first time, and I'm pretty surprised by how huge the exported files are.

It's a tour composed of eight different 360x180 panoramas, and the size of the exported folder is over 200 MB. The panorama files are each quite large (30-60 MB), but I guess I assumed that Panotour would compress them more. I'm a little worried about how quickly the tours will load on US-based browsers (I'm in Central America, so it will be slow like molasses here regardless).

The Partial Panorama Width of a representative panorama is about 20,000 pixels, and the cutting size is (automatically) set to 1024. The Max preview size is 800, and the Jpeg quality is 10.

Pardon my inexperience, but do those numbers seem right? Is there something I should be doing to better regulate the size of my outputted tour? This is a tour of a local resort, not a gigapixel tour of Paris.

Thanks all - I appreciate your help!
Last edited by benpopik on Mon Mar 12, 2012 1:39 am, edited 1 time in total.

klausesser

Liked in: 64 posts
Info

by klausesser » Mon Mar 12, 2012 1:27 pm

benpopik wrote:The Partial Panorama Width of a representative panorama is about 20,000 pixels, and the cutting size is (automatically) set to 1024. The Max preview size is 800, and the Jpeg quality is 10.

Hi!

I suggest the use of 10000x5000px for the equirectangular image. Using a compression of 7 or 8 in PTP it works ok and is fast.

This one has about 85MB of size on the server: http://www.360impressions.de/TourSchlossEller.html i used a compressions of 7 - which maybe a bit much . . 8-10 is better on fullscreen but of course bigger.
Depends on the szene. This one has about 160MB: http://360impressions.de/Zuerichtour.html compression was at 10.

best, Klaus
Simplicity is the keynote of all true elegance. Coco Chanel

no avatar
digipano

Liked in: 0 post
Info

by digipano » Tue Mar 13, 2012 6:39 pm

Compression does not always work best if the sky has smooth gradient, the only method is to reduce the input images but if you need to do this after you have made the entire tour with 100s of hotspots then you will need to do all the hotspots & linking all over again.
I wish there was an option within PTP to control the output size & quality individually, not just the cutting size.