Nodal point (nodalNinja4) question & AutopanGiga (badlinks)  

Share your tips and tricks here or get help with any Autopano Pro / Giga problem!
No bug reports (of any kind) in this forum!
no avatar
verticalpoint360

Topic author
Liked in: 0 post
Info

Nodal point (nodalNinja4) question & AutopanGiga (badlinks)

by verticalpoint360 » Tue Mar 06, 2012 11:49 pm

Hi All

Hope you are well?

If you get a moment could you take a quick a look at this still of a 360. You'll notice I have slight misalignment (and do quite frequently), I've set the nodal up to as best as possible, would you say it's just a case of even finer tuning to get it aligned? I'm using a D3 with Nikkor 14-24 2.8 on a Nodal Ninja 4

[see attached file: [Group 1]-_DGP4828__DGP4839-12 images.jpeg]

If i'm all set up correctly on the nodal point then I'll move onto fixing it on AutopanGiga But, When it says i have bad links i click and switch to this screen but i cant seem to bring up the images, I've clicked on everything to try and get them to appear? please see image below...??

[see attached file: Screen Shot 2012-02-28 at 11.37.14.png]

One more thing... I'm looking to use my D100 as it's lighter and also smaller so i can photograph the ceiling (can't do that with the D3), I can't seem to find the nodal specs if i was to switch from my D3 to a Nikon D100 with a nikkor 14mm-24mm 2.8 do you have any links or knowledge with the Nodal Ninja 4

Thanks everyone

Dan

Last edited by verticalpoint360 on Tue Mar 06, 2012 11:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

no avatar
mediavets

Liked in: 130 posts
Info

by mediavets » Wed Mar 07, 2012 12:01 am

What sort of shooting pattern do you use?
Andrew Stephens
Many different Nodal Ninja and Agnos pano heads. Merlin/Panogear mount with Papywizard on Nokia Internet tablets.
Nikon D5100 and D40, Sigma 8mm f3.5 FE, Nikon 10.5mm FE, 35mm, 50mm, 18-55mm, 70-210mm. Promote control.

no avatar
verticalpoint360

Topic author
Info

by verticalpoint360 » Wed Mar 07, 2012 12:53 am

Hi Mediavets i use 1 stop every 60ºc and + 30c and -30ºc

vincen
Kolor Certified Trainer

Liked in: 4 posts
Info

by vincen » Wed Mar 07, 2012 7:02 am

What focal length do you use on 14-24 ? I can share my settings as I use same equipments but you'll have to check them with your equipments as there are some slight differences between camera and lenses whatever it's same model but at least you'll get similar settings to use ;)
Blog: http://www.skivr.com
Nodal Ninja 4 R-D16 on Benro Tripod + Ultimate R1 on Nodal Ninja P2 + Nikon D800 + Nikkor 10.5 + Nikkor 14/24 f/2.8 +Pentax 645D

no avatar
verticalpoint360

Topic author
Info

by verticalpoint360 » Wed Mar 07, 2012 10:54 am

Thankyou. I use 14mm.
Last edited by verticalpoint360 on Wed Mar 07, 2012 10:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

vincen
Kolor Certified Trainer

Info

by vincen » Fri Mar 09, 2012 7:25 am

verticalpoint360 wrote:Thankyou. I use 14mm.

If you are with D3 + 14-24 at 14mm and use AQRS2 for attachment of camera, here are settings you should use (double check them with your equipment as some slight differences can occur):
LRS: 89mm
URS: 122mm
2 rows (one at +45º, one at -45º) of 8 shots (45º turn between each shot) + Zenith + Nadir

If you are at 24mm:
URS: 112mm
3 rows (one at +47.5º, one at +2.5º, one at -42.5º, if you are on NN4, you can do +45, 0 and -45) of 10 shots (36º turn between each shot) + Zenith + Nadir.

I use these settings since year without problems, same settings for D3, D3S and D3x (camera body is the same) but probably not with D4 !

Vincèn
Nodal Ninja 4 R-D16 on Benro Tripod + Ultimate R1 on Nodal Ninja P2 + Nikon D800 + Nikkor 10.5 + Nikkor 14/24 f/2.8 +Pentax 645D

klausesser

Liked in: 64 posts
Info

by klausesser » Fri Mar 09, 2012 1:09 pm

verticalpoint360 wrote:. . would you say it's just a case of even finer tuning to get it aligned? I'm using a D3 with Nikkor 14-24 2.8 on a Nodal Ninja 4

Hi Dan!

Yes. The 14-24 really isn´t easy to align - it´s a huge lens. Use the live-view´s magnifier for aligning it with two verticals and be very, very precise. Your image clearly shows a misalignment. You might try "multiple viewpoint" in the optimizer-settings . . but better redo the alignment.

Inside rooms the alignement must be very exacly because of very short distances. And the combination of D3 and 14-24 might be a bit too big and heavy for a NN4 . . . ?

best, Klaus
Simplicity is the keynote of all true elegance. Coco Chanel

vincen
Kolor Certified Trainer

Info

by vincen » Fri Mar 09, 2012 1:13 pm

klausesser wrote:Use the live-view´s magnifier for aligning it with two verticals and be very, very precise. Your image clearly shows a misalignment. You might try "multiple viewpoint" in the optimizer-settings . . but better redo the alignment.

don't use liveview but shot a picture and check on computer, live view are often not 100% of the real shot and source of errors !

klausesser wrote:And the combination of D3 and 14-24 might be a bit too big and heavy for a NN4 . . . ?

definitively not ! the NN4 is yet more robust than NN5, and NN5 could already support without problem D3 + 14/24 :) works that way since years :D

Vincèn

klausesser

Info

by klausesser » Fri Mar 09, 2012 2:32 pm

vincen wrote:don't use liveview but shot a picture and check on computer, live view are often not 100% of the real shot and source of errors !

Live-view on my 5D2 is very reliable. I use it for exact focusing when i do stillifes or pano-sequences. Setting the live-view to magnifying-mode indeed it´s extremely helpful - because it´s extremely precise - for finding the NPP :cool:
You see: using it for an exact FOV it may have issues. But using it in magnifying mode for finding the NPP or for focusing very precisely it´s definitely great!

vincen wrote:
klausesser wrote:And the combination of D3 and 14-24 might be a bit too big and heavy for a NN4 . . . ?

definitively not ! the NN4 is yet more robust than NN5, and NN5 could already support without problem D3 + 14/24 :) works that way since years :D

ok - i´m not experienced with the NN4 (and judged by view). Only with the NN3 which is a bit weak. But i know the weight and bulkyness of a D3x with the 14-24/2,8 lens :cool:

best, Klaus

vincen
Kolor Certified Trainer

Info

by vincen » Fri Mar 09, 2012 2:42 pm

klausesser wrote:ok - i´m not experienced with the NN4 (and judged by view). Only with the NN3 which is a bit weak. But i know the weight and bulkyness of a D3x with the 14-24/2,8 lens :cool:

Well the NN3 is definitively designed for point and shoot cameras and small dslr with small lenses, definitively not for big engines like D3 family and 14-24 :lol:

klausesser

Info

by klausesser » Fri Mar 09, 2012 2:58 pm

vincen wrote:
klausesser wrote:ok - i´m not experienced with the NN4 (and judged by view). Only with the NN3 which is a bit weak. But i know the weight and bulkyness of a D3x with the 14-24/2,8 lens :cool:

Well the NN3 is definitively designed for point and shoot cameras and small dslr with small lenses, definitively not for big engines like D3 family and 14-24 :lol:

Hi Vincen!

I looked on your site for infos about the timelapse-rail: you have an "English" button there - but the description of the gear is in french. Is there an english description?

best to you, Klaus

vincen
Kolor Certified Trainer

Info

by vincen » Fri Mar 09, 2012 3:04 pm

klausesser wrote:I looked on your site for infos about the timelapse-rail: you have an "English" button there - but the description of the gear is in french. Is there an english description?

hum you should see it in english as it's translated at least for that article :D (http://magasin.skivr.com/materiel/timelapse/kit-timelapse-moteur-controleur-rail.html?___store=english&___from_store=francais)

Vincèn

klausesser

Info

by klausesser » Fri Mar 09, 2012 3:29 pm

vincen wrote:
klausesser wrote:I looked on your site for infos about the timelapse-rail: you have an "English" button there - but the description of the gear is in french. Is there an english description?

hum you should see it in english as it's translated at least for that article :D (http://magasin.skivr.com/materiel/timelapse/kit-timelapse-moteur-controleur-rail.html?___store=english&___from_store=francais)

Vincèn

I meant this one: http://magasin.skivr.com/materiel/timelapse/dollyshield-diy-kit.html?___store=english&___from_store=english

best, Klaus

vincen
Kolor Certified Trainer

Info

by vincen » Fri Mar 09, 2012 4:19 pm

klausesser

Info

by klausesser » Fri Mar 09, 2012 4:30 pm

vincen wrote:

You should reload page :cool:

Vincèn

Sorry - i switched between three machines . . :cool:

best, Klaus

klausesser

Info

by klausesser » Sat Mar 10, 2012 1:30 pm

Destiny wrote:Vincèn is 100% correct, attempting to do this via live view will NOT work on a D3 since you are not seeing the full image.. The D4 will work since it does show the full image on live view..

Sorry - that´s definitely a misunderstanding of what we´re dealing with here. And therefore Vincen is definitely wrong :cool:

You don´t have to see the full image at all - because the reason to use the live-view is to use it´s magnifying mode. In magnifying mode it´s obvious not to see the whole image . . :rolleyes:
The reason to do it this way - which proved right with all live-view capable cameras i ever used - is to better see the details when you lign up two verticals.

Using an extremely wideangle it´s impossible to see the details in full-image mode - and that´s not surprising . . ;) So it wouldn´t mae any sense at all to watch the live-views full image.

To recall the process: put the camera about 2m in front of a window-frame and in a way you can see another vertical some 10-20m away. The two verticals must be very close together in your finder.
Now to turn the head left and right and watch the distance between the two verticals. If the distance changes move your camera fore- or backwards on the rail until the distance bezween the verticals
doesn´t change any more. This is your NPP. Do the process using an aperture you´re usually worling with - the position of the NPP might move a bit with changing focus and aperture.

Now: with a 14mm lens you´ll hardly see in the finder the small distance between your two verticals. That´s logic. If you use the live-view´s magnifyer you´re very well able to see even the slightest
change of this distance. OF COURSE you must shift the magnifyer´s frame from one end of theh display to the other to keep seeing the gap . . . :rolleyes::cool:

Maybe THAT is why Vincen and you are thinking it woulnd´t work . . but that´s a big error.

Believe me: i´m doing this since there is live-view in DSLRs . . . and it proved to work perfectly.

But of course everybody may do it as he/her like.

best, Klaus
Last edited by klausesser on Sat Mar 10, 2012 7:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

klausesser

Info

by klausesser » Sat Mar 10, 2012 1:53 pm

vincen wrote:
klausesser wrote:Use the live-view´s magnifier for aligning it with two verticals and be very, very precise. Your image clearly shows a misalignment. You might try "multiple viewpoint" in the optimizer-settings . . but better redo the alignment.

don't use liveview but shot a picture and check on computer, live view are often not 100% of the real shot and source of errors !

Hi Vincen: did you ever even try to use the live-view for aligning? You surely know that you can shift around the magnifier´s frame?

You don´t have to see the full image at all - because the reason to use the live-view is to use it´s magnifying mode. In magnifying mode it´s obvious not to see the whole image . .
The reason to do it this way - which proved right with all live-view capable cameras i ever used - is to better see the details when you lign up two verticals.

Using an extremely wideangle it´s impossible to see the details in full-image mode - and that´s not surprising . . So it wouldn´t make any sense at all to watch the live-view´s full image.

OF COURSE you must shift the magnifyer´s frame from one end of the display to the other to keep seeing the gap between the verticals when you turn the camera - but that´s not rocket-scince at all . . .

best, Klaus
Last edited by klausesser on Sat Mar 10, 2012 7:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

no avatar
lumelix

Info

by lumelix » Sat Mar 10, 2012 2:42 pm

I can only confirm: This method with LiveView is the best and fastest method to determine the exact nodal point in a short time.
Especially with a zoom like the 14-24mm. Depending on the picture angle the nodal point is different, so that it must be redefined for each zoom position.
Current cameras allow an increase in live view mode to 1:1, so you can see the smallest pixel shift after turning the camera.

Of course you can also study the taken images later on the PC and look exactly at a possible error.
But then it's too late, the pictures are already done and can be put together poorly when there is an error. This isn't "live" :)
So I definitely prefer the method described by Klaus with LiveView mode and have my first pictures without errors.
Regards
Martin

klausesser

Info

by klausesser » Sat Mar 10, 2012 4:47 pm

lumelix wrote:Of course you can also study the taken images later on the PC and look exactly at a possible error.

:cool::cool:
Klaus

klausesser

Info

by klausesser » Sun Mar 11, 2012 1:58 pm

Destiny wrote:Vincèn is 100% correct, attempting to do this via live view will NOT work on a D3 since you are not seeing the full image.

Btw., Destiny: How would you know Vincen "is 100% correct"? Did you try it yourself using a D3? Afaik your D90 also has a live-view. Doesen´t it have a magnifier-frame which you can move around on the display?

best, Klaus
Last edited by klausesser on Sun Mar 11, 2012 2:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

vincen
Kolor Certified Trainer

Info

by vincen » Sun Mar 11, 2012 2:13 pm

klausesser wrote:How would you know Vincen "is 100% correct"?

because I'm always correct :D:P:cool:

klausesser

Info

by klausesser » Sun Mar 11, 2012 2:24 pm

vincen wrote:
klausesser wrote:How would you know Vincen "is 100% correct"?

because I'm always correct :D:P:cool:

Yes - how could i miss that . . . :P:cool:

Honestly: did you ever try to use the live view for aligning the NPP? Try it! :cool:

best, Klaus

vincen
Kolor Certified Trainer

Info

by vincen » Sun Mar 11, 2012 6:14 pm

klausesser wrote:Honestly: did you ever try to use the live view for aligning the NPP? Try it! :cool:

Well I always use direct tethering with USB on computer, it allows to see bigger images :)

Vincèn

klausesser

Info

by klausesser » Sun Mar 11, 2012 6:44 pm

vincen wrote:
klausesser wrote:Honestly: did you ever try to use the live view for aligning the NPP? Try it! :cool:

Well I always use direct tethering with USB on computer, it allows to see bigger images :)

Vincèn

That´s not an answer to my question, sorry :cool:

best, Klaus

vincen
Kolor Certified Trainer

Info

by vincen » Sun Mar 11, 2012 7:17 pm

klausesser wrote:That´s not an answer to my question, sorry :cool:

Well sorry it was a way to say that I never did it, but I'll think about it next time I need to find a NPP ;)

Vincèn

Next