Girocam Stitching together with Autopano Giga Stitching  

Share your tips and tricks here or get help with any Autopano Pro / Giga problem!
No bug reports (of any kind) in this forum!
mkintner

Topic author
Liked in: 0 post
Info

Girocam Stitching together with Autopano Giga Stitching

by mkintner » Tue Feb 21, 2012 2:27 pm

I have purchased the Girocam Unit and have done some extensive TESTING and would like to use the Autopano Giga Software to stich vs the program that came with the program to fix some alignment issues and solve the triangle problem ata the bottom.

Can the Autopano Giga software stitch the three fisheye photos. The tests I have done it doesn't seem to work. How can this be resolved?

AlexandreJ
Kolor Team

Liked in: 10 posts
Info

by AlexandreJ » Tue Feb 21, 2012 4:15 pm

In Girocam studio, you have an option to keep intermediary files. In these intermediary files, you'll have a .pano that could be opened in Autopano Giga.
It should work directly.

Hellkeeper

Liked in: 1 post
Info

by Hellkeeper » Tue Feb 21, 2012 5:34 pm

@mkintner: possible to show us some of your tests? We just ordered Girocam too - but as they are restocking right now it seems like it takes a few weeks until we get our unit. And I'm eager to know if the quality of Girocam can stand up our expectations ...

Thank you
Andreas
Gigapixel Panos from Austria: gpix.at

mkintner

Topic author
Info

by mkintner » Thu Feb 23, 2012 7:23 am

I should have all my tests done by this weekend. And I'll be more than happy to share my thoughts and give you comparisions.

mkintner

Topic author
Info

by mkintner » Sun Feb 26, 2012 7:04 pm

Here is two test inside my office. The orginal output was 6000x3000 10 megs and I resized 5000x2500 in order for it to show.

The first image PANO00032 (Custom).jpg was a standard photo. Quality is okay, with grain and color matching was the best.

The second image PANO00034-2 (Custom).jpg was using a hdr photo. Quality is about the same and color matching I am getting weird result with this blue haze in the photo. I have tried adjusting setting with no luck.

When trying to run in Autopano Giga Package I can load teh pano without a problem but the goal was to take a photo of the bottom (nadir) and try to merge into the orginal. I disovered a couple of issues, first the bottom nadir like photo I wanted to merge into teh pano was 20 times better in quality so when trying to match up the image I was getting terrible results.

A couple of questions that I need to ask is, how can I get rid of the blue haze. I know its coming from the lense of the unit. If I try dropping in the TIF images into Autopano Giga I can't get it to stich the photos correctly. I'm sure this is because I don't understand the program. What settings would I use for Autopano Giga?

More to follow

mkintner

Topic author
Info

by mkintner » Sun Feb 26, 2012 7:30 pm

Here is an outdoor shot from a monopod.

Not to bad however, personally I am little disappointed with the resolution. I currently use EPIC Pro and create amazing results with that unit. It may be heavy to carry around but feel maybe I have been spoiled with its great results.

Let me know what you think?

I hope to have a YouTube Video in the next day or so if all goes well describing the unit in detail.

no avatar
mediavets

Liked in: 130 posts
Info

by mediavets » Sun Feb 26, 2012 7:58 pm

mkintner wrote:Not to bad however, personally I am little disappointed with the resolution.

The resolution can hardly have come as a surprise?
Andrew Stephens
Many different Nodal Ninja and Agnos pano heads. Merlin/Panogear mount with Papywizard on Nokia Internet tablets.
Nikon D5100 and D40, Sigma 8mm f3.5 FE, Nikon 10.5mm FE, 35mm, 50mm, 18-55mm, 70-210mm. Promote control.

mkintner

Topic author
Info

by mkintner » Sun Feb 26, 2012 10:14 pm

Here is a YouTube Video created of the GiroCAM.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y-SY_nkLx3g

mkintner

Topic author
Info

by mkintner » Sun Feb 26, 2012 11:23 pm

Destiny... Actually I would agree with you that it is VERY expensive for the quality of results. I wanted to be very optimistic in my reporting and not totally bash them for there beginning efforts. (Smile) I just looked at your tamaggo.com product and the quality from that looks much better than the GircoCAM at first glace. I wonder if I can get my hands on one of those before they release to do a review?

gkaefer

Liked in: 15 posts
Info

by gkaefer » Mon Feb 27, 2012 3:07 am

looking the video and than thinking about it....

I just hardly hope a future "next" version could have 1 additional eye placed exactly to zenith and in consequence the three other lenses showing a little bit more downwards, so the nadir could be reduced...
... and sorry - but it looks like mobile phone lenses are used with some mirros around the lens...

Georg

PS for that money you get a canon 5Dmk II + the cheapest possible fisheye 8mm lens from samyang resulting in whatever miles better image quality
for this I really invest extra 5 minutes to shoot the pano...
Last edited by gkaefer on Mon Feb 27, 2012 3:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

no avatar
HansKeesom

Liked in: 2 posts
Info

by HansKeesom » Mon Feb 27, 2012 9:30 am

hi Micheal,

Did you try to stitch the tiff-files using autopano pro/giga? Would be interesting to see how well we can they will stitch using that route.
Regards, Hans Keesom
I stitch and render for other photographers. Price: 25 euro or less, no cure no pay. If you want to concentrate on your business let me do the stitching for you. Free TB of Dropbox space when you have more then 250 euro business a year.

AlexandreJ
Kolor Team

Info

by AlexandreJ » Mon Feb 27, 2012 1:12 pm

Note : we are regurlarly updating the Kolor Girocam Studio ( the tool that decodes raw and stitch .GIR files ). Latest version (1.3.0) has major improvement on color accuracy, sharpening, etc. I don't know if you have it, but I really encourage you to get it. Of course, this version won't change the fact that there is still a big hole at the nadir.

mkintner

Topic author
Info

by mkintner » Mon Feb 27, 2012 1:41 pm

The version that I am using right now is Girocam Studio 64bits 1.3.0.

I tried stiching using the demo version of autopano pro/giga and had problems with trying to get the three to merge correctly. I sure thats because of my experience in using autopano gig. Plus I wanted to add the nadir with no luck as well. I opened the pano file that the unit creates which shows this correctly but unable to get the three TIF files to merge correctly by dragging the three into the autopano giga file area. Again, I'm sure there is a specific setting to handle this. There is an upload limit here so if someone wants to try this with your version of autopano pro here is the location where you can download the two different examples from above.

Each picture created was using all the defaults. I wanted to keep this as unbiases as possible so we can get true results without anything fancy to make it work.

Each file is ZIP compressed and is 159 megs each.
First Sample: http://www.amazingaerialphotos.com/Projects/Girocam/PANO00039_SAMPLE.zip
Second Sample: http://www.amazingaerialphotos.com/Projects/Girocam/PANO00036_SAMPLE.zip

Would love to hear your comments.
Last edited by mkintner on Mon Feb 27, 2012 2:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

gkaefer

Liked in: 15 posts
Info

by gkaefer » Mon Feb 27, 2012 3:00 pm

mkintner wrote:The version that I am using right now is Girocam Studio 64bits 1.3.0.

I tried stiching using the demo version of autopano pro/giga and had problems with trying to get the three to merge correctly. I sure thats because of my experience in using autopano gig. Plus I wanted to add the nadir with no luck as well. I opened the pano file that the unit creates which shows this correctly but unable to get the three TIF files to merge correctly by dragging the three into the autopano giga file area. Again, I'm sure there is a specific setting to handle this. There is an upload limit here so if someone wants to try this with your version of autopano pro here is the location where you can download the two different examples from above.

Each picture created was using all the defaults. I wanted to keep this as unbiases as possible so we can get true results without anything fancy to make it work.

Each file is ZIP compressed and is 159 megs each.
First Sample: http://www.amazingaerialphotos.com/Projects/Girocam/PANO00039_SAMPLE.zip
Second Sample: http://www.amazingaerialphotos.com/Projects/Girocam/PANO00036_SAMPLE.zip

Would love to hear your comments.

did try sample 1 for 30minutes now... without success.
using APG newest rc3
did try it opening the pano file than with and without adding control points I did try it with linear and with multiband (multi with between -10 and 0 level)

what I'm curious about:

the network cable (read one in front of monitor: its covered perfectly on one image, so I wonder why theres still no way to define some areas in one image where the photographer can tell the stitching software where the photographer wants to have focus/preference on... is masking so difficult, to define an area with the rule "do not touch"?

the keybord corner is in original image available, but whatever I did tried, the corner got lost in final stitching.

and I could render 2 of the three images quit well, but not the third one - and this in whichever combination 1+2 but not three 2+3 but not 1 and 1+3 but not 2
so if this would be normal head/cam combi I would ask you now, if you did set the NPP correct?

and trying to use the tif source images that are available: here I would need some basic infos like focal etc. or maybe better that kolor could add a cam+lens entry in the lensdatabase so the images can be detected automatically as fisheye/normal lens/focal used/aperture used...
1.0 lens multiplicator is not correct, better results I got with 1.666 and with 8mm fisheye .... but finally not better than the result of the opened project rendering result

Georg
Last edited by gkaefer on Mon Feb 27, 2012 3:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

no avatar
HansKeesom

Liked in: 2 posts
Info

by HansKeesom » Mon Feb 27, 2012 6:08 pm

AlexandreJ wrote:Note :.... get it. Of course, this version won't change the fact that there is still a big hole at the nadir.

If this is french humor, i think I start to find it really funny :cool::lol::lol:
Regards, Hans Keesom
I stitch and render for other photographers. Price: 25 euro or less, no cure no pay. If you want to concentrate on your business let me do the stitching for you. Free TB of Dropbox space when you have more then 250 euro business a year.

mkintner

Topic author
Info

by mkintner » Wed Feb 29, 2012 12:16 pm

Here are five more tests using Girocam's Online Service

All of these test came directly from the device and sent directly to the Online Service that Girocam Provides.

Test 1: http://www.girocam.com/tours/7222e027130a
Inside Building Photo Mode

Test 2: http://www.girocam.com/tours/1bcd646c8768
Inside Building HDR Mode

Test 3: http://www.girocam.com/tours/dde125c01426
Outside Building Photo Mode

Test 4: http://www.girocam.com/tours/76c233206d32
Inside the Customers Store Front (Multiple Panos)

I love how fast it works just disappointed that the image results were not better. Needless to say the customer thought it was very cool as well however didn't like the fact that the bottom was cut off and the blue haze/glare in the photos.

Personally I think the online service is awesome. And I will be uploading a YouTube Video on how that works; which is very cool and I can see that as a GREAT service and need by many.

klausesser

Liked in: 64 posts
Info

by klausesser » Wed Feb 29, 2012 1:19 pm

mkintner wrote:Personally I think the online service is awesome. And I will be uploading a YouTube Video on how that works; which is very cool and I can see that as a GREAT service and need by many.

Fine. But: for whom is this device made? For just having fun it´s a bit expensive. For doing real estate work or presenting shops it´s quality is definitely inacceptable and the missing Nadir is a no-go.
It should have at least 150/170° vertical.

Besides the option you must do only one shot: what might be a reason to buy it? Building a rig with 6 GoPro you can do much better quality at nearly the same costs.

I suggest to 1) use better lenes and 2) to make it able shooting at least 150° vertical. Or cut the price into half and see it as a fun-device.

Sorry fur being so blunt.

best, Klaus
Simplicity is the keynote of all true elegance. Coco Chanel

Hellkeeper

Info

by Hellkeeper » Thu Mar 01, 2012 4:04 pm

Well - our Girocam arrived too ... and I must admit that I'm really disapointed with the Quality! :-(
I feared that it will come that way when I saw your demo shoots ... but it's even worse than I could ever imagine ... (escape attention the Nadir)

http://temp.in.futureweb.at/girocam/3/ : Outside shoot ... took the brightest part for exposure - so all other parts are way too dark ...
http://temp.in.futureweb.at/girocam/6/PANO00014.html : inside shoot ... wrong colors, blurry, iso rush, every lens produces it's own color deviation, ..., ..., ...

Sorry for beeing so harsh - but we spent 1.500€ on this useless toy ...

I'm really more than enthusiastic about your Software (it's the best pano software around the globe) ... but with this gadget you are damaging your good company name ... :-(

Andreas
Last edited by Hellkeeper on Thu Mar 01, 2012 4:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

no avatar
mediavets

Liked in: 130 posts
Info

by mediavets » Thu Mar 01, 2012 4:32 pm

Hellkeeper wrote:...
http://temp.in.futureweb.at/girocam/6/PANO00014.html : inside shoot ... wrong colors, blurry, iso rush, every lens produces it's own color deviation, ..., ..., ...

Some pretty bad sticthing errors too.
Andrew Stephens
Many different Nodal Ninja and Agnos pano heads. Merlin/Panogear mount with Papywizard on Nokia Internet tablets.
Nikon D5100 and D40, Sigma 8mm f3.5 FE, Nikon 10.5mm FE, 35mm, 50mm, 18-55mm, 70-210mm. Promote control.

Hellkeeper

Info

by Hellkeeper » Thu Mar 01, 2012 7:42 pm

mediavets wrote:Some pretty bad sticthing errors too.

yea ... all in all --> a clear "no go" for a product in this price range ... :-(

AlexandreJ
Kolor Team

Info

by AlexandreJ » Fri Mar 02, 2012 9:18 am

Hellkeeper wrote:Well - our Girocam arrived too ... and I must admit that I'm really disapointed with the Quality! :-(
I feared that it will come that way when I saw your demo shoots ... but it's even worse than I could ever imagine ... (escape attention the Nadir)

http://temp.in.futureweb.at/girocam/3/ : Outside shoot ... took the brightest part for exposure - so all other parts are way too dark ...

It should be that dark and this is clearly something to check out. I'll report this to our partner that makes the hardware. Wrong firmware ? because this has been fixed.

Hellkeeper wrote:http://temp.in.futureweb.at/girocam/6/PANO00014.html : inside shoot ... wrong colors, blurry, iso rush, every lens produces it's own color deviation, ..., ..., ...

It should be behave this way. Again, it seems that it is not the right firmware.

Hellkeeper wrote:Sorry for beeing so harsh - but we spent 1.500€ on this useless toy ...

I'm really more than enthusiastic about your Software (it's the best pano software around the globe) ... but with this gadget you are damaging your good company name ... :-(

I understand, it should better than that and we'll inspect this issue. Just to be clear, we didn't do the girocam ( it's another French company called Giroptic ), we are partner in the creation of this tool in the sens that we are doing the software that stitch the images from this camera. We didn't designed the girocam. When Giroptic came to us, the full hardware was quite finished and we were just consulted for doing the software that will be shipped with the product. Nevertheless, we asked to be able to resell it too, because we find it quite useful in several cases but quite none for our current customer. Everyone that knows how to handle a nodal ninja will do better job for sure. But for people who don't know panoramic photography and just need to have quick 360°, it is great. Typical real estate agent : just ask them to take a standard photo and you'll see the issue. So this is for them and for some other niche market. Girocam is been used in movie industry for HDR light probing. Works quite well and easier to handle than standard setup.

Anyway. I agree with you, this not so gadget could heart a little our brand, but really I think it is still a good product for some case, but not our historical high end category of user like you, Klauss, etc.

Hellkeeper

Info

by Hellkeeper » Fri Mar 02, 2012 3:32 pm

AlexandreJ wrote:not the right firmware.

Hi,

unfortunately we use the latest Firmware available on the Girocam Page ...

Andreas

mkintner

Topic author
Info

by mkintner » Sat Mar 03, 2012 12:45 pm

As a user of the product I would have to agree with all that it’s a great concept however it does need a lot of work.
My main reason for purchasing was this device was two years ago on its first go around it wasn’t good however this time I purchased with the expectations that a lot of these issues have been cleared up, especially the opticis. I would have really thought that they would have changed the opticis for better image quality. Then let the software do whats expected. IF you don't have a high quality, crystal clear image before you even start then there no reason to hope at that the software will fix the rest, especailly in this case.

My comment earlier about
mkintner wrote:Personally I think the online service is awesome. And I will be uploading a YouTube Video on how that works; which is very cool and I can see that as a GREAT service and need by many.

This is impressive, and discovered that Girocoptic has written this and not Kolor based upon a comment in another forum. http://www.kolor.com/forum/t14238-girooptics-girocam-hosted-site-of-panorama-images

As for realators using that service it is convient and extremely easy to use and link up too. If they could fix the hardware then I think they got something to really work with but until then its a no go. This weekend I plan on putting a YouTube together so you can see this service. From what I understand that this service is only provided by Girocam users at this time.

It would be awesome if Kolor had a Server Product like this to sell.

And I would agree with another comment
Hellkeeper wrote:Sorry for beeing so harsh - but we spent 1.500€ on this useless toy ...

I too love Kolor's products, they work well and it really makes a difference when using there tools to delivery a WOW presentation. The money would have been better spent on the new Canon Mark III instead and using it with my EPIC Pro for the same money.