Autopano and Hugin  

Share your tips and tricks here or get help with any Autopano Pro / Giga problem!
No bug reports (of any kind) in this forum!
no avatar
Jo

Topic author
Liked in: 0 post
Info

Autopano and Hugin

by Jo » Sun Feb 12, 2012 11:04 am

Dear all,

Could someone advise what are the major advantage of Autopano over Hugin ? I am studying to select aerial image stitching software.

Although Autopano is paid application but if it is easy to use or has some features better ( rather than this tutorial http://www.autopano.net/wiki-en/action/view/Stitching_aerial_photos )

Please advise, thank you

Jo

no avatar
Destiny

Liked in: 228 posts
Info

by Destiny » Sun Feb 12, 2012 12:12 pm

emm... haven't heard of Hugin for years.. I tried it but it failed my strict criteria.. Due to the fact it "did not stitch!"...... As I remember it was full of bugs.. no matter how much fly spray I used I couldn't kill it... ;).. As far as I am concerned... Hugin and apg are like Chalk and Cheese.. French Cheese.. No comparison... apg has some issues with bracketed stitching and blending but as far as I am concerned you will only find a few software apps that can stitch output of a high quality and two of those would be apg and PTGui..

Destiny...
Primary School Teacher - Hobby Virtual Tours and 3D/360 Object/Product Photographer - Our aim is to create a 3D/360 Virtual Tour Shop/Store with links to 3D/360 degree products. My gear, VR Drive II - D90 - Nikon 10.5 fisheye - Nikon D800 with Nikon-Nikkor 14-24 - NOVOFLEX Magic Balance - Acratech GP Ball-head - Nodal Ninja 4 + RD-16 Rotor - Manfrotto 190CXPRO4 Carbon Fiber Tripod :) :)

klausesser

Liked in: 64 posts
Info

by klausesser » Sun Feb 12, 2012 1:43 pm

Destiny wrote:I tried it but it failed my strict criteria..

Your "strict criteria" . . . :cool:

HugIn is free and absolutely ok. The problem is: it´s by far not as simple to use as APP. Without knowing the very basics of panography you´re in trouble.
That´s why many people don´t like it: they don´t understand what they´re really doing or have to do and don´t know how to use it.

best, Klaus
Simplicity is the keynote of all true elegance. Coco Chanel

klausesser

Info

by klausesser » Sun Feb 12, 2012 1:57 pm

Jo wrote:Dear all,

Could someone advise what are the major advantage of Autopano over Hugin ? I am studying to select aerial image stitching software.

Although Autopano is paid application but if it is easy to use or has some features better ( rather than this tutorial http://www.autopano.net/wiki-en/action/view/Stitching_aerial_photos )

Please advise, thank you

Jo

Hey Joe!

HugIn is more basic - it´s a frontend for the PanoTools. It works very good and is of very good quality.
And it´s free. If you´re willing to learn about panography more than how to push some buttons: give it a try.

http://panotools.sourceforge.net/
http://wiki.panotools.org/

AutoPano is very much more comfortable - that´s why we love it. You don´t need to know too much about panography . . . but nevertheless can do it.

best, Klaus

no avatar
hermer-blr

Info

by hermer-blr » Sun Feb 12, 2012 3:35 pm

I stitched my very first panoramas with Hugin ! And it was efficient, but...

You have to spend time to fiddle with the different settings, parameters, Man Machine Interface...
And it is much more time consuming than APP/APG.

One day, I fell on APP/APG, was impressed by the tutorials, decided to try it, and... bought APP 2.0.9 (at this time). When APG 2.5 (and its free nodal point) was issued, I decided to upgrade to APG. Now, I am using APG 2.6 and (sorry Klaus, you don't like it) the exposure fusion mode; it works wonderfully well, especially thanks to the possibility that is now offered to preview (and change) some of the fusion parameters.

If you just want to test panoramic photography, you may start with Hugin... With a little time and experimentation, you should get excellent results.
Nikon D5100 (formerly Nikon D60) - Sigma 10-20 - 24 shots Panoramas in 3 raws
Windows 32 bits - APG
website htt://jmh.trp.free.fr

klausesser

Info

by klausesser » Sun Feb 12, 2012 4:56 pm

hermer-blr wrote:Now, I am using APG 2.6 and (sorry Klaus, you don't like it) the exposure fusion mode;

;) that´s because i still don´t get how it works . . . :cool:

best to you, Klaus

no avatar
Destiny

Info

by Destiny » Sun Feb 12, 2012 10:42 pm

As I said Klaus.. Its been years... and the vision I had was full of bugs... Nothing to do with my knowledge of basic photography skills...

Destiny

klausesser wrote:
Destiny wrote:I tried it but it failed my strict criteria..

Your "strict criteria" . . . :cool:

HugIn is free and absolutely ok. The problem is: it´s by far not as simple to use as APP. Without knowing the very basics of panography you´re in trouble.
That´s why many people don´t like it: they don´t understand what they´re really doing or have to do and don´t know how to use it.

best, Klaus
Primary School Teacher - Hobby Virtual Tours and 3D/360 Object/Product Photographer - Our aim is to create a 3D/360 Virtual Tour Shop/Store with links to 3D/360 degree products. My gear, VR Drive II - D90 - Nikon 10.5 fisheye - Nikon D800 with Nikon-Nikkor 14-24 - NOVOFLEX Magic Balance - Acratech GP Ball-head - Nodal Ninja 4 + RD-16 Rotor - Manfrotto 190CXPRO4 Carbon Fiber Tripod :) :)

no avatar
Destiny

Info

by Destiny » Sun Feb 12, 2012 11:21 pm

Yes you are right hermer-blr.. It can work wonderfully well for those who understand basic image theory.. I have extensively tested the LDR and HDR options in apg as well as the other features and parameters to achieve some very nice results.. I found in the end that it works very well as long as you possess some basic skills and follow some simple steps to achieve a great result .. http://www.kolor.com/forum/p92475-2011-12-22-09-23-05#p92475

Destiny

hermer-blr wrote:I stitched my very first panoramas with Hugin ! And it was efficient, but...

You have to spend time to fiddle with the different settings, parameters, Man Machine Interface...
And it is much more time consuming than APP/APG.

One day, I fell on APP/APG, was impressed by the tutorials, decided to try it, and... bought APP 2.0.9 (at this time). When APG 2.5 (and its free nodal point) was issued, I decided to upgrade to APG. Now, I am using APG 2.6 and (sorry Klaus, you don't like it) the exposure fusion mode; it works wonderfully well, especially thanks to the possibility that is now offered to preview (and change) some of the fusion parameters.

If you just want to test panoramic photography, you may start with Hugin... With a little time and experimentation, you should get excellent results.

no avatar
Jo

Topic author
Info

by Jo » Tue Feb 14, 2012 1:35 am

Thank you everybody to share opinion with my topic