Page 1 of 1

How to shoot ultra-wide panorama?

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2012 10:24 am
by 8xBzef
Hi there!

Well, I am trying to solve a problem related to very basics of pano-shooting.

Imagine, that you are about to create an ultra-wide pano, but the area which you are shooting is so wide, that you can not shoot standing on one spot. Imagine for example the river town – you want to shoot panorama of that town across the river. Shooting from one {middle} spot is not what you are exactly looking for. {You want to prevent disappearing horizon on the sides.}

I tried to make snapshot and walk 10 steps and then I took another, next 10 steps and another snapshot, etc. The result can not be merged even manually, because perspective vary on each photo.

I just want to have one single ultra-wide panorama with constant scale - I have prevent the sides to become smaller in perspective when approaching to the left & right ends of photo.

Is technically possible to solve such problem?

Thanks!

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2012 11:33 am
by klausesser
8xBzef wrote:Hi there!

Well, I am trying to solve a problem related to very basics of pano-shooting.

Imagine, that you are about to create an ultra-wide pano, but the area which you are shooting is so wide, that you can not shoot standing on one spot. Imagine for example the river town – you want to shoot panorama of that town across the river. Shooting from one {middle} spot is not what you are exactly looking for. {You want to prevent disappearing horizon on the sides.}

I tried to make snapshot and walk 10 steps and then I took another, next 10 steps and another snapshot, etc. The result can not be merged even manually, because perspective vary on each photo.

I just want to have one single ultra-wide panorama with constant scale - I have prevent the sides to become smaller in perspective when approaching to the left & right ends of photo.

Is technically possible to solve such problem?

Thanks!

Most important is to make small steps! Max 1 meter, better only 50cm depending on the distance. If you shoot across a river it depends how wide it is. In this case you might be successful shooting every 2-3m take care of a perfect angle of 90° related to the opposite riverside.

http://www.tomas-riehle.de/index_de.php# go to "Bilder" -->> "Abwicklungen 1990-2008"

best, Klaus

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2012 11:24 pm
by 8xBzef
WAU!

That is EXACTLY what i meant! That awesome photo with Trabants, that is it! How many photos did you use for it? I supposte, it has been shot from multiple spots following the axis of the buildings, am I right? What about the distance between them?

This photo of yours is like a magic!

Have a look at the attachment please. This is just a few snapshots I took. Just for trying purposes. No tripod, unprocessed RAWs. The river can be about 15 – 20 m wide. I use 35mm lens. Snapshot was taken about each 10th step. It is obviously too far, because the perspective changes uncoverably. Well, I suppose, that the more far the object is, the longer distance between the particular snapshots can be. Pentax K-5 is able to detect 0,5 degree tilt. I hope it should be enough. But the river bank is much closer than the houses on horizon. Much Clone Stamp work in foreground probably still sthould be done.

But [h]thank you[/h] – I will try that 2 - 3 step distance. I will post here the result!

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2012 11:26 pm
by 8xBzef
I forgot the attachment. So here is...

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2012 2:27 am
by gkaefer
hahaha... the "Abwicklungen"... also mentioned is the phrase "Klebe-Montage" hmm the 1990s - the digi world was so far away so you had to stick ="Kleben" analog images to a pano
Liebe Gruesse,
Georg

PS: I last year tried to do such a pano in my home touwn 1.5km riverside... I used 10m, used a 8mm fisheye... and it failed. after autopano got the feature to set "use multiple viewpoints"
I finally could stich the images to two panos... they could not be connected because a bridge was crossing the river, so I had on both ends of the panos really near (less than 10m) objects.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2012 2:44 am
by 8xBzef
Bloody hell... You are a smart guy, mate ;) I missed the "1990".

Well then, I will try to tune up the "multiple viewpoints" option.

PS: In times, when people fly to the space, there has to be some way, how to get a few buildings across the river into photograph :D

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2012 9:46 am
by digipano
We discussed this last year here is that thread, its possible but shooting methods have to improvised for a successful stitch.
http://www.kolor.com/forum/t10312-stiching-a-floating-point-pano

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2012 3:31 pm
by 8xBzef
OK then,

I cropped all the photos to narrow slice from the middle {1/3 from each side was trashed} and then I manually alinged them in Ps. Have a look at the result below. {It is just quickly aligned, no distortions, no blengings made}. So I thing, that this kind of panorama could be generally possible. Obviously the narrower the particular image is the accurate results can be expected. But the object in different distances are still pain. I thing that this could be perfectly done only in Ps, make slice for each "perspective layer" {1-bank, 2-river, 3-bank, 4-close houses, 5-far houses} and bled them manually. Which will be a huge amount of work {79 layers}.

Autopano failed in this case...

Or do you have any smarter & faster idea? ;)

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2012 6:02 pm
by digipano
Autopano failed in this case...
Or do you have any smarter & faster idea?

Autopano with multiple viewpoint would work but you have to manually put control points only on the building, to my mind this should be a achievable stitch in autopano, if you can post these test images as smaller jpegs I would like to do a test stitch.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2012 1:45 pm
by 8xBzef
Great!

Here you go: http://www.248kangaroos.com/Store/ContentForForums/WalkPano-ExportToForum.zip

I put there both - cropped & uncropped versions.

Thank you :D

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2012 2:01 pm
by klausesser
8xBzef wrote:This photo of yours is like a magic!

Yes - it´s magic. But it was done by Tomas Riehle, an architactural photographer. :cool:

best, Klaus

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2012 2:11 pm
by klausesser
8xBzef wrote:OK then,

I cropped all the photos to narrow slice from the middle {1/3 from each side was trashed} and then I manually alinged them in Ps. Have a look at the result below. {It is just quickly aligned, no distortions, no blengings made}. So I thing, that this kind of panorama could be generally possible. Obviously the narrower the particular image is the accurate results can be expected. But the object in different distances are still pain. I thing that this could be perfectly done only in Ps, make slice for each "perspective layer" {1-bank, 2-river, 3-bank, 4-close houses, 5-far houses} and bled them manually. Which will be a huge amount of work {79 layers}.

Autopano failed in this case...

Or do you have any smarter & faster idea? ;)

Vital is to move really - absolutely - parallel to the opposite side of the riverbanks. Trees and buildings behind them mean perspective - avoid that! The "object" has to be flat! And in constant distance.

Alternatively to the item "multiple viewpoints" you might try to set the focal length to 1000mm.

best, Klaus

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 6:31 pm
by AlexandreJ
I confirm that for such case, the 1000mm tips is the one to use.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2012 7:10 pm
by mediavets
8xBzef wrote:Hi there!

Well, I am trying to solve a problem related to very basics of pano-shooting.

Imagine, that you are about to create an ultra-wide pano, but the area which you are shooting is so wide, that you can not shoot standing on one spot. Imagine for example the river town – you want to shoot panorama of that town across the river. Shooting from one {middle} spot is not what you are exactly looking for. {You want to prevent disappearing horizon on the sides.}

I tried to make snapshot and walk 10 steps and then I took another, next 10 steps and another snapshot, etc. The result can not be merged even manually, because perspective vary on each photo.

I just want to have one single ultra-wide panorama with constant scale - I have prevent the sides to become smaller in perspective when approaching to the left & right ends of photo.

Is technically possible to solve such problem?

Thanks!

You may find this interesting?:

http://www4.telus.net/public/wexsessa/travo.html

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2012 9:15 pm
by 8xBzef
Hello guys,


I hope you are still out there:)

I found this great image:
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/1/1f/Barbora_Balkova_METROpasVelky2011.jpg

Do you have any idea how this was manufactured? This si almost seamless and obviously multiple viewpoints pano!

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2012 9:33 pm
by gkaefer
8xBzef wrote:Hello guys,


I hope you are still out there:)

I found this great image:
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/1/1f/Barbora_Balkova_METROpasVelky2011.jpg

Do you have any idea how this was manufactured? This si almost seamless and obviously multiple viewpoints pano!

1. I would take the indoor waggon empty without any people. with this close distance to the windows
2. than I would seat x people on one single chair in front of white background and shoot the "portrait" in front of the person. keeping distance etc. I would move the cam max. of 50cm from left to right so a massive overlap of 50-70% is the result.
3. making chair and wall transparent
4. doing pano of empty waggon images
5. puzzling a little bit to place the peorsons so they fit more or less to neighbor

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2012 8:23 pm
by jeradg
8xBzef wrote:Hello guys,


I hope you are still out there:)

I found this great image:
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/1/1f/Barbora_Balkova_METROpasVelky2011.jpg

Do you have any idea how this was manufactured? This si almost seamless and obviously multiple viewpoints pano!

Based on the number of people without break for a door, and the writing scratched into the window, it looks like he merged some of the same car multiple times with different people sitting in the seats.