How to shoot ultra-wide panorama?  

Share your tips and tricks here or get help with any Autopano Pro / Giga problem!
No bug reports (of any kind) in this forum!
no avatar
8xBzef

Topic author
Liked in: 0 post
Info

How to shoot ultra-wide panorama?

by 8xBzef » Fri Feb 10, 2012 10:24 am

Hi there!

Well, I am trying to solve a problem related to very basics of pano-shooting.

Imagine, that you are about to create an ultra-wide pano, but the area which you are shooting is so wide, that you can not shoot standing on one spot. Imagine for example the river town – you want to shoot panorama of that town across the river. Shooting from one {middle} spot is not what you are exactly looking for. {You want to prevent disappearing horizon on the sides.}

I tried to make snapshot and walk 10 steps and then I took another, next 10 steps and another snapshot, etc. The result can not be merged even manually, because perspective vary on each photo.

I just want to have one single ultra-wide panorama with constant scale - I have prevent the sides to become smaller in perspective when approaching to the left & right ends of photo.

Is technically possible to solve such problem?

Thanks!

klausesser

Liked in: 64 posts
Info

by klausesser » Fri Feb 10, 2012 11:33 am

8xBzef wrote:Hi there!

Imagine, that you are about to create an ultra-wide pano, but the area which you are shooting is so wide, that you can not shoot standing on one spot. Imagine for example the river town – you want to shoot panorama of that town across the river. Shooting from one {middle} spot is not what you are exactly looking for. {You want to prevent disappearing horizon on the sides.}

I tried to make snapshot and walk 10 steps and then I took another, next 10 steps and another snapshot, etc. The result can not be merged even manually, because perspective vary on each photo.

I just want to have one single ultra-wide panorama with constant scale - I have prevent the sides to become smaller in perspective when approaching to the left & right ends of photo.

Thanks!

Most important is to make small steps! Max 1 meter, better only 50cm depending on the distance. If you shoot across a river it depends how wide it is. In this case you might be successful shooting every 2-3m take care of a perfect angle of 90° related to the opposite riverside.

http://www.tomas-riehle.de/index_de.php# go to "Bilder" -->> "Abwicklungen 1990-2008"

best, Klaus
Last edited by klausesser on Fri Feb 10, 2012 11:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
Simplicity is the keynote of all true elegance. Coco Chanel

no avatar
8xBzef

Topic author
Info

by 8xBzef » Fri Feb 10, 2012 11:24 pm

WAU!

That is EXACTLY what i meant! That awesome photo with Trabants, that is it! How many photos did you use for it? I supposte, it has been shot from multiple spots following the axis of the buildings, am I right? What about the distance between them?

This photo of yours is like a magic!

Have a look at the attachment please. This is just a few snapshots I took. Just for trying purposes. No tripod, unprocessed RAWs. The river can be about 15 – 20 m wide. I use 35mm lens. Snapshot was taken about each 10th step. It is obviously too far, because the perspective changes uncoverably. Well, I suppose, that the more far the object is, the longer distance between the particular snapshots can be. Pentax K-5 is able to detect 0,5 degree tilt. I hope it should be enough. But the river bank is much closer than the houses on horizon. Much Clone Stamp work in foreground probably still sthould be done.

But [h]thank you[/h] – I will try that 2 - 3 step distance. I will post here the result!

no avatar
8xBzef

Topic author
Info

by 8xBzef » Fri Feb 10, 2012 11:26 pm

I forgot the attachment. So here is...

gkaefer

Liked in: 15 posts
Info

by gkaefer » Sat Feb 11, 2012 2:27 am

hahaha... the "Abwicklungen"... also mentioned is the phrase "Klebe-Montage" hmm the 1990s - the digi world was so far away so you had to stick ="Kleben" analog images to a pano
Liebe Gruesse,
Georg

PS: I last year tried to do such a pano in my home touwn 1.5km riverside... I used 10m, used a 8mm fisheye... and it failed. after autopano got the feature to set "use multiple viewpoints"
I finally could stich the images to two panos... they could not be connected because a bridge was crossing the river, so I had on both ends of the panos really near (less than 10m) objects.

no avatar
8xBzef

Topic author
Info

by 8xBzef » Sat Feb 11, 2012 2:44 am

Bloody hell... You are a smart guy, mate ;) I missed the "1990".

Well then, I will try to tune up the "multiple viewpoints" option.

PS: In times, when people fly to the space, there has to be some way, how to get a few buildings across the river into photograph :D
Last edited by 8xBzef on Sat Feb 11, 2012 2:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

no avatar
digipano

Info

by digipano » Sat Feb 11, 2012 9:46 am

We discussed this last year here is that thread, its possible but shooting methods have to improvised for a successful stitch.
http://www.kolor.com/forum/t10312-stiching-a-floating-point-pano

no avatar
8xBzef

Topic author
Info

by 8xBzef » Sat Feb 11, 2012 3:31 pm

OK then,

I cropped all the photos to narrow slice from the middle {1/3 from each side was trashed} and then I manually alinged them in Ps. Have a look at the result below. {It is just quickly aligned, no distortions, no blengings made}. So I thing, that this kind of panorama could be generally possible. Obviously the narrower the particular image is the accurate results can be expected. But the object in different distances are still pain. I thing that this could be perfectly done only in Ps, make slice for each "perspective layer" {1-bank, 2-river, 3-bank, 4-close houses, 5-far houses} and bled them manually. Which will be a huge amount of work {79 layers}.

Autopano failed in this case...

Or do you have any smarter & faster idea? ;)

no avatar
digipano

Info

by digipano » Sat Feb 11, 2012 6:02 pm

Or do you have any smarter & faster idea?

Autopano with multiple viewpoint would work but you have to manually put control points only on the building, to my mind this should be a achievable stitch in autopano, if you can post these test images as smaller jpegs I would like to do a test stitch.
Last edited by digipano on Sat Feb 11, 2012 6:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

no avatar
8xBzef

Topic author
Info

by 8xBzef » Sun Feb 12, 2012 1:45 pm

Great!

Here you go: http://www.248kangaroos.com/Store/ContentForForums/WalkPano-ExportToForum.zip

I put there both - cropped & uncropped versions.

Thank you :D

klausesser

Info

by klausesser » Sun Feb 12, 2012 2:01 pm

8xBzef wrote:This photo of yours is like a magic!

Yes - it´s magic. But it was done by Tomas Riehle, an architactural photographer. :cool:

best, Klaus

klausesser

Info

by klausesser » Sun Feb 12, 2012 2:11 pm

8xBzef wrote:OK then,

I cropped all the photos to narrow slice from the middle {1/3 from each side was trashed} and then I manually alinged them in Ps. Have a look at the result below. {It is just quickly aligned, no distortions, no blengings made}. So I thing, that this kind of panorama could be generally possible. Obviously the narrower the particular image is the accurate results can be expected. But the object in different distances are still pain. I thing that this could be perfectly done only in Ps, make slice for each "perspective layer" {1-bank, 2-river, 3-bank, 4-close houses, 5-far houses} and bled them manually. Which will be a huge amount of work {79 layers}.

Or do you have any smarter & faster idea? ;)

Vital is to move really - absolutely - parallel to the opposite side of the riverbanks. Trees and buildings behind them mean perspective - avoid that! The "object" has to be flat! And in constant distance.

Alternatively to the item "multiple viewpoints" you might try to set the focal length to 1000mm.

best, Klaus

AlexandreJ
Kolor Team

Liked in: 10 posts
Info

by AlexandreJ » Mon Feb 13, 2012 6:31 pm

I confirm that for such case, the 1000mm tips is the one to use.

no avatar
mediavets

Liked in: 130 posts
Info

by mediavets » Thu Feb 16, 2012 7:10 pm

8xBzef wrote:Hi there!

Thanks!

You may find this interesting?:

http://www4.telus.net/public/wexsessa/travo.html
Andrew Stephens
Many different Nodal Ninja and Agnos pano heads. Merlin/Panogear mount with Papywizard on Nokia Internet tablets.
Nikon D5100 and D40, Sigma 8mm f3.5 FE, Nikon 10.5mm FE, 35mm, 50mm, 18-55mm, 70-210mm. Promote control.

no avatar
8xBzef

Topic author
Info

by 8xBzef » Tue May 08, 2012 9:15 pm

Hello guys,

I hope you are still out there:)

I found this great image:
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/1/1f/Barbora_Balkova_METROpasVelky2011.jpg

Do you have any idea how this was manufactured? This si almost seamless and obviously multiple viewpoints pano!
Last edited by 8xBzef on Tue May 08, 2012 9:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

gkaefer

Liked in: 15 posts
Info

by gkaefer » Tue May 08, 2012 9:33 pm

8xBzef wrote:Hello guys,

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/1/1f/Barbora_Balkova_METROpasVelky2011.jpg

Do you have any idea how this was manufactured? This si almost seamless and obviously multiple viewpoints pano!

1. I would take the indoor waggon empty without any people. with this close distance to the windows
2. than I would seat x people on one single chair in front of white background and shoot the "portrait" in front of the person. keeping distance etc. I would move the cam max. of 50cm from left to right so a massive overlap of 50-70% is the result.
3. making chair and wall transparent
4. doing pano of empty waggon images
5. puzzling a little bit to place the peorsons so they fit more or less to neighbor
Last edited by gkaefer on Tue May 08, 2012 9:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

no avatar
jeradg

Info

by jeradg » Wed May 09, 2012 8:23 pm

8xBzef wrote:Hello guys,

Based on the number of people without break for a door, and the writing scratched into the window, it looks like he merged some of the same car multiple times with different people sitting in the seats.