60 degrees of seperation, 60 images  

Share your tips and tricks here or get help with any Autopano Pro / Giga problem!
No bug reports (of any kind) in this forum!
no avatar
sbright33

Topic author
Liked in: 0 post
Info

60 degrees of seperation, 60 images

by sbright33 » Thu Feb 02, 2012 2:55 am

I've got a camera spinning at 30RPM on a shaft CW it can take 60 images quickly, 60 degrees apart. That's 10 revolutions of 360 degrees. I don't know what to do next. I've been making commercial panaromas with Autopano for years. When I select this group of images it attempts to put them on top of each other, because not much changes during each revolution of the motor. I end up with 10 layers and 360 degrees. I'd like to have 3600 degrees. Yes, that's one long photo. In future applications, the scene will change each revolution, so this problem might go away, but I don't want to count on it to solve the problem. There will be frames that don't change.

I thought of making groups every 360 degrees or more. But then I cannot control which image is first on the left in each group. It does not stitch them in the order of the file numbers.

So I made groups <360 degrees. Ended up with 12 of them. It is very difficult to stitch those together. It tries to overlay them on top of each other because they are so similar. I tried to line them up manually, but they are so distorted from the previous process.

How can I just stitch them together in order without re-starting at the left every 360 degrees? I want it to continue one after the next adding it on to the right of the line until there are 60 picture in a row. Please help!

In summary, I wish it would put them in order, by filename, from left to right. Never going back to the left. I am not trying to make a 360 degree panorama. Autopano is great at that! So simple to use. Should I look for a different application?

no avatar
kevshu

Info

by kevshu » Thu Feb 02, 2012 3:24 am

I would suggest trying the Gigapan Import. File -> Import -> Gigapan

Select the images, and then take it down to one row. Go through the options and make sure the 360 pano is unchecked.

Cheers,
Kevin
Kevin Schumacher
Canon 5Dmk2, 15mm Fisheye, 24-70mm, 100mm Macro, 100-400mm, Nodal Ninja 3
Orion GoTo Mount, BT Ver2 Module, Papywizard on Fujitsu LifeBook U810

no avatar
sbright33

Topic author
Info

by sbright33 » Thu Feb 02, 2012 4:08 am

Cool this feature will be great for Gigapans with my Bescor! But it doesn't work in this case. It still puts them on top of each other. It still does not keep them in filename order.

no avatar
wjh31

Info

by wjh31 » Thu Feb 02, 2012 8:59 am

try adjusting the focal length so it doesnt wrap around, then try a papywizard xml file to guide the images into the right order. I think there's also a 'images are in a single row' box somewhere

no avatar
mediavets

Liked in: 130 posts
Info

by mediavets » Thu Feb 02, 2012 10:02 am

wjh31 wrote:I think there's also a 'images are in a single row' box somewhere

Not sure it will help - but it's here:

Andrew Stephens
Many different Nodal Ninja and Agnos pano heads. Merlin/Panogear mount with Papywizard on Nokia Internet tablets.
Nikon D5100 and D40, Sigma 8mm f3.5 FE, Nikon 10.5mm FE, 35mm, 50mm, 18-55mm, 70-210mm. Promote control.

no avatar
sbright33

Topic author
Info

by sbright33 » Thu Feb 02, 2012 3:17 pm

I don't understand: Adjust the focal length so it doesn't wrap?
How do I make the XML file?
The single row checkbox doesn't help.

The problem is that these files are HDR. After the process of making them HDR with a big strength, the colors and pixels are different. That's why autopano does not always work. It does work for 360 degrees, even 720, but not much more. Then it starts to put them on top of each other. I want to constrain it so it goes left to right in filename order. I thought about doing the stitching first, then the HDR operation. I think that will be even more difficult. First of all, even the dark pictures don't stitch by themselves. Autopano distorts the images, so they wouldn't be able to work in Photomatix. Will look at papywizard.

klausesser

Liked in: 64 posts
Info

by klausesser » Thu Feb 02, 2012 3:27 pm

sbright33 wrote:I've got a camera spinning at 30RPM on a shaft CW it can take 60 images quickly, 60 degrees apart. That's 10 revolutions of 360 degrees. I don't know what to do next. I've been making commercial panaromas with Autopano for years. When I select this group of images it attempts to put them on top of each other, because not much changes during each revolution of the motor. I end up with 10 layers and 360 degrees. I'd like to have 3600 degrees. Yes, that's one long photo. In future applications, the scene will change each revolution, so this problem might go away, but I don't want to count on it to solve the problem. There will be frames that don't change.

Hi!

I´m not sure to understand you correctly: do you mean a kind of "speed-mode" like the Seitz VR2 and the Dr. Clauss Rodeon provides it? Shooting a complete sphere while the head spins around continuously?
That means a spiral-like moving of 360°x180° of the camera while the camera fires?

They both make a software which stitches the images. I don´t know whether APP/G can do that.

best, Klaus
Simplicity is the keynote of all true elegance. Coco Chanel

no avatar
sbright33

Topic author
Info

by sbright33 » Thu Feb 02, 2012 3:45 pm

How can I create an XML file with position data in it? Yes, it is a stepper motor I am using, but the camera is mounted directly on the shaft. There are no gears or bearings so the positioning is innaccurate. I don't want to store position data. I want to store the order only, by filename. I still need autopano to optimize the pictures to line up. I want it to understand my constraints: They are already in order. In a long single row. It doesn't get much simpler than that. Can the XML file help me with this? Yes, I want to guide it with regards to order. Can I put only that information in the XML file? How?

http://www.autopano.net/wiki-en/action/view/Using_Papywizard_module

no avatar
sbright33

Topic author
Info

by sbright33 » Thu Feb 02, 2012 3:50 pm

@Klaus. It's a stepper motor hooked to Arduino. Mechanically it is nothing, just the camera mounted on the shaft. I can control the program to do whatever I want. Turn 60 degrees, then trigger. But it is not so accurate. The camera bounces around when it starts and stops. I have it configured to take a picture every 60 degrees while spinning. Around and around. When it's a static scene it will be the same very time around. The only value in this is when the scene is changing. I need Autopano to optimize the images to line them up. But I already know the order. How can I stop the software from trying to change it?

no avatar
vklaffehn

Info

by vklaffehn » Thu Feb 02, 2012 7:26 pm

Hi! I'm sure thats possible with the Gigapan importer and changing focal length .... could you provide shrinked images maybe? or, well, maybe I'm trying that with my MiniPanoBot :-)

no avatar
sbright33

Topic author
Info

by sbright33 » Thu Feb 02, 2012 8:18 pm

@vklaffehn, I don't understand. Why change focal length? I'm using 18mm now. Why shrink images? Make them smaller in pixels? They're only 600 high already. It implies that it should work with Giga Importer. It does work for 720 degrees, 12 images. But after about that amount it just overlays them. It does not respect my wish to keep them in order. It puts them all out of order. Which is not what it's supposed to do?

Oh, you 2 mean change the focal length instead of changing how often (degrees) the motor stops and shutter triggers?
I can change those instead. I want the smallest focal length possible. Why change it?
Last edited by sbright33 on Thu Feb 02, 2012 8:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

no avatar
vklaffehn

Info

by vklaffehn » Thu Feb 02, 2012 8:36 pm

Hi!
I meant to change the focal length for the images in AutoPano to something very high, not at the camera , so AP thinks it needs more images for 360°.
Lets assume that one picture of your camera has a field ov view of 90° in real, so APG thinks it needs only 4 images for 360°. But if you change the focal length in the image properties in APG, the software 'thinks' your images have only a field of view of... lets say 10°, so APG thinks it needs 36 images. So you dont have to change anything on your hardware.
I hope its understandable what I'm writing :-)
And with shrinking I meant only that you could provide the images somewhere so we could do tests with them.
MfG
V.Klaffehn

no avatar
sbright33

Topic author
Info

by sbright33 » Thu Feb 02, 2012 11:21 pm

Focal length. That is a great idea! They are small to begin with. The Zip file attached includes 17 HDR images and 1 so you can see how easy it is to make one rotation.

Last edited by sbright33 on Thu Feb 02, 2012 11:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

no avatar
sbright33

Topic author
Info

by sbright33 » Fri Feb 03, 2012 12:06 am

Very easy! Thanks so much everybody!
Seems like there is no reasonable limit on how many times I can go around now.
See attached for 720deg+.
It won't let me attach a pano here.
You'll have to Render it yourself!

Have you tried StageTools Moving Pictures?
WPanorama?
Both can make videos from a Pan.
Looks like you're flying when you stretch trapezoids to change the perspective.

Who wants to learn to make a Stepper with Arduino and Magic Lantern?
Only $4 for stepper.
Bescor head with more features than Gigapan Pro for $160?
Last edited by sbright33 on Fri Feb 03, 2012 12:08 am, edited 1 time in total.

klausesser

Liked in: 64 posts
Info

by klausesser » Fri Feb 03, 2012 1:01 pm

sbright33 wrote:Very easy! Thanks so much everybody!
Seems like there is no reasonable limit on how many times I can go around now.
See attached for 720deg+.
It won't let me attach a pano here.
You'll have to Render it yourself!

Have you tried StageTools Moving Pictures?
WPanorama?
Both can make videos from a Pan.
Looks like you're flying when you stretch trapezoids to change the perspective.

Who wants to learn to make a Stepper with Arduino and Magic Lantern?
Only $4 for stepper.
Bescor head with more features than Gigapan Pro for $160?

Hi!

Maybe i´m stupid - but is the sense in doing so? What do you want to achieve?

best, Klaus
Simplicity is the keynote of all true elegance. Coco Chanel

no avatar
sbright33

Topic author
Info

by sbright33 » Fri Feb 03, 2012 3:26 pm

I'm calling it the Infinite Panaroma. It's really wide. I would not do it again here where there is nothing going on. Instead I will do it in a city or place where there is movement, so each time around is differrent. I will get some ghosts. I could make it slower or full speed in 5 seconds / rev. I could go fast once around then pause 5 minutes where there is nothing happening nor shadows changing. After making the still image I will convert it to video. In short, I'm doing it because I can!