Stitching Ceiling Panorama (Flat)  

Share your tips and tricks here or get help with any Autopano Pro / Giga problem!
No bug reports (of any kind) in this forum!
no avatar
Firefly360

Topic author
Liked in: 0 post
Info

Stitching Ceiling Panorama (Flat)

by Firefly360 » Tue Jan 24, 2012 2:13 am

Hi,

I have an upcoming project that requires flat stitching of the ceiling of a church. Typically, the ceiling
will be long and I won't be able to shoot using a single nodal point. Can Autopano Pro do this kind
of stitching, and if so... is there like a tutorial of a similar project someone has done before?

Thanks!

no avatar
mediavets

Liked in: 130 posts
Info

by mediavets » Tue Jan 24, 2012 6:37 am

Welcome to the forum...

I've done this at my local church as an experiment.

I used a Merlin motorised mount and Papywizard with the mount on its side, shooting in Mosaic mode (a regular matrix/grid) using a Nikon DX with a 50mm rectilinear lens. Yes, shot from one position.

Stitched with APG using the Papywizard Import Wizard.

The result was good enough to prove the concept although I messed up with the white balance and it's a difficult ceiling lighting-wise because of the large clerestory. It would have been better to shoot at night with artificial lighting I think.

Here's the result - two versions - both spherical and planar projections.

http://www.three60views.org.uk/roof-pano-02/roof-02.html

You can download the image set if you'd like to 'play' with it:

http://www.three60views.org.uk/roof-pano-02/church-roof-01.zip (220MB)

To put the ceiling in context and to show the scale of the building here's another pano of the church:

http://www.three60views.org.uk/fol/fol-pano-6k3k-02.html
Last edited by mediavets on Tue Jan 24, 2012 6:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
Andrew Stephens
Many different Nodal Ninja and Agnos pano heads. Merlin/Panogear mount with Papywizard on Nokia Internet tablets.
Nikon D5100 and D40, Sigma 8mm f3.5 FE, Nikon 10.5mm FE, 35mm, 50mm, 18-55mm, 70-210mm. Promote control.

no avatar
Firefly360

Topic author
Info

by Firefly360 » Tue Jan 24, 2012 7:57 am

Hi Andrew,

Thanks for the reply. Well, I won't be using a motorized head for this, so I guess the concept should be the same still.
You mentioned you only shot from one location, what if the ceiling is rather long as in my case, I would need to shoot
in multiple spots across the linear line?

no avatar
digipano

Info

by digipano » Tue Jan 24, 2012 9:47 am

Yes autopano giga can do this using multiple viewpoint, this is called orthographic panorama. Search the forums here there are 3-4 threads discussing the same.

no avatar
mediavets

Info

by mediavets » Tue Jan 24, 2012 9:47 am

Firefly360 wrote:Hi Andrew,

Thanks for the reply. Well, I won't be using a motorized head for this, so I guess the concept should be the same still.

The problem of using a manual panohead would be that with the head mounted on its side you would have to lock the head into position at each detente click-stop.

What pano head do you have?

What camera body and lens do you propose to use?

You mentioned you only shot from one location, what if the ceiling is rather long as in my case, I would need to shoot in multiple spots across the linear line?

Is the church you plan to shoot much larger than my local church?

I think you'll end up being unable to stitch using APP/APG if you shoot from multiple locations.
Last edited by mediavets on Tue Jan 24, 2012 9:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
Andrew Stephens
Many different Nodal Ninja and Agnos pano heads. Merlin/Panogear mount with Papywizard on Nokia Internet tablets.
Nikon D5100 and D40, Sigma 8mm f3.5 FE, Nikon 10.5mm FE, 35mm, 50mm, 18-55mm, 70-210mm. Promote control.

no avatar
digipano

Info

by digipano » Tue Jan 24, 2012 10:30 am

mediavets wrote:I think you'll end up being unable to stitch using APP/APG if you shoot from multiple locations.

As long as the ceiling is flat with no 3d objects why should there be a problem, multiple view points should stitch well by changing the focal length to 1000mm & shooting with 50% overlap.

no avatar
Firefly360

Topic author
Info

by Firefly360 » Tue Jan 24, 2012 11:30 am

I'll be using a Kaidan Quickpan Pro and suppose a 10-20mm lens. There are some chandeliers hanging on the church.. but
this can be mitigated by shooting directly underneath them so they will appear as a circular object. I guess I can stitch the
images manually... but the thing is... I have almost a 100 church ceilings to document and I want to have a fairly nice
workflow pindown to lessen the task.

no avatar
mediavets

Info

by mediavets » Tue Jan 24, 2012 11:50 am

digipano wrote:
mediavets wrote:I think you'll end up being unable to stitch using APP/APG if you shoot from multiple locations.

As long as the ceiling is flat with no 3d objects why should there be a problem, multiple view points should stitch well by changing the focal length to 1000mm & shooting with 50% overlap.

But have you actually done it?
Andrew Stephens

no avatar
mediavets

Info

by mediavets » Tue Jan 24, 2012 12:03 pm

Firefly360 wrote:I'll be using a Kaidan Quickpan Pro and suppose a 10-20mm lens.

What is the 'destination' of these images? Are they destined for print or for display/viewing on-line?

Do you have a desired resolution (pixel dimensions) in mind?

Are these ancient buildings - like my local church with its 15th century ceiling - or something more modern and with lower ceilings?

There are some chandeliers hanging on the church.. but this can be mitigated by shooting directly underneath them so they will appear as a circular object. I guess I can stitch the images manually... but the thing is... I have almost a 100 church ceilings to document and I want to have a fairly nice workflow pindown to lessen the task.

If you have 100 ceilings to do then I recommend that you invest in a motorised pano head or you'll risk your sanity trying to do this with a manual pano head, even one with very positive detente locking like the Kaidan Quickpan Pro.

A Merlin mount controlled by Papywizard can assembled relatively inexpensively - what camera body will you be using?

But that's just my opinon...why not just shoot a trial using you Kaidan Quickpan Pro and see how you get on.

I suggest that you first try my simple approach and position the pano head on its side and then shoot a regular matrix/grid of images from a single point beneath the centre of the ceiling.

Try it and let us know how you get on.
Last edited by mediavets on Tue Jan 24, 2012 12:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Andrew Stephens

no avatar
digipano

Info

by digipano » Tue Jan 24, 2012 2:33 pm

But have you actually done it?

I have done several flat pano of artworks this way without a problem. I also tried shooting once on 80 feet high tower moving around the periphery in circle & that worked fine bcoz I shot moving in circles & the projection I choose was cylindrical too. Same way I tied moving linear to the building but this test failed since 3d objects were there. This linear pano finally worked with later version of Autopano here is the thread.
http://www.kolor.com/forum/t10312-stiching-a-floating-point-pano

I'll be using a Kaidan Quickpan Pro and suppose a 10-20mm lens. There are some chandeliers hanging on the church.. but this can be mitigated by shooting directly underneath them so they will appear as a circular object. I guess I can stitch the images manually... but the thing is... I have almost a 100 church ceilings to document and I want to have a fairly nice workflow pindown to lessen the task.

Chandeliers hanging will cause a major problem & doing this for 100 church ceilings of different height /size/shape will run you out soon hence I suggest the same as mediavets, shoot as per his suggested method.

For experimentation I suggest you should try this challenging stitch even if it fails.
Last edited by digipano on Tue Jan 24, 2012 2:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

no avatar
Firefly360

Topic author
Info

by Firefly360 » Wed Jan 25, 2012 4:52 am

Hi Andrew, Digipano,

It will be for print... As in a coffee table book. Resolution shouldn't be a big issue as I got it covered. I'll probably be using a Canon 7D. Motorized pan head aside, will give Andrew's idea a spin first, I think that will be a sensible solution for now. Will keep you guys posted.

Thanks!