Lens not correctly recognized by APG  

Share your tips and tricks here or get help with any Autopano Pro / Giga problem!
No bug reports (of any kind) in this forum!
no avatar
hermer-blr

Topic author
Liked in: 0 post
Info

Lens not correctly recognized by APG

by hermer-blr » Sun Nov 06, 2011 9:40 am

When my sigma 10-20 lens is at 10, its focal is perceived by APG as 9.87 (why not...) and this leads APG to detecting the lens as Fisheye. With other focal values, the lens is always detected as standard.

Would there be a way by creating a dummy lens in the lensdatabase file to overcome this and have the lens always detected as standard?

What should be the lensdatabase file content and syntax for this dummy lens?

Note: My camera is a Nikon (D5100, previously D60).
Nikon D5100 (formerly Nikon D60) - Sigma 10-20 - 24 shots Panoramas in 3 raws
Windows 32 bits - APG
website htt://jmh.trp.free.fr

no avatar
mediavets

Liked in: 130 posts
Info

by mediavets » Sun Nov 06, 2011 10:22 am

If you always shoot with the Sigma at 10mm then you could force the lens type and focal length:

Last edited by mediavets on Sun Nov 06, 2011 10:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
Andrew Stephens
Many different Nodal Ninja and Agnos pano heads. Merlin/Panogear mount with Papywizard on Nokia Internet tablets.
Nikon D5100 and D40, Sigma 8mm f3.5 FE, Nikon 10.5mm FE, 35mm, 50mm, 18-55mm, 70-210mm. Promote control.

no avatar
hermer-blr

Topic author
Info

by hermer-blr » Sun Nov 06, 2011 10:40 am

Unfortunately, I use this lens at different focal values. During my summer trip in the USAs, I shot a lot of panoramas (not spherical) with my Sigma lens, using different focal value depending on the landscape to be photographed.

I was wondering whether fiddling with the lens database file would make it possible to resolve this unpleasant issue of "standard" detected as "fisheye". As I have no "fisheye" lens at the moment, I removed all the lines mentioning "fisheye" from the lens database; but this was not sufficient. Creation of a specific lens?
Windows 32 bits - APG

AlexandreJ
Kolor Team

Liked in: 10 posts
Info

by AlexandreJ » Mon Nov 07, 2011 9:06 am

That's an issue with the metadata stored with the image. For us, to be sure we can identify perfectly a lens, we need makernotes ( an obscure EXIF metadata field that stores maker's details ).
The problem is the handling of this field by external software. Quite all of these software, when modifying image, clean this part : it's lost. And we cannot identify for sure if the lens is fisheye or standard.
If you inject directly the raw or jpeg unmodified from the camera, the detection will work.

Note : when exif is present but no makernotes, we apply the following rule : focal length >= 16 mm, then rectilinear, <16 mm => fisheye

no avatar
hermer-blr

Topic author
Info

by hermer-blr » Mon Nov 07, 2011 12:44 pm

Thanks Alexandre,

From your answer, I understand that the lens database file is not used in this process of lens recognition and that there is no way to overcome the issue (except, but I do not see any benefit in such complex operation, by trying to incorporate the lost makernotes in the tif image files).

Note: I use Nikon Capture NX2 to convert my images from Raw to Tif.
Windows 32 bits - APG

AlexandreJ
Kolor Team

Liked in: 10 posts
Info

by AlexandreJ » Mon Nov 07, 2011 1:15 pm

The lens database is here to identify if a lens is fisheye or not, but it works only if we have the makernotes. Without them, it doesn't work.
For v3, we'll probably introduce the support of XMP. Perhaps, there's a solution with this metadata library.

no avatar
shane999

Info

by shane999 » Fri Nov 18, 2011 12:17 pm

hermer-blr wrote:When my sigma 10-20 lens is at 10, its focal is perceived by APG as 9.87 (why not...) and this leads APG to detecting the lens as Fisheye. With other focal values, the lens is always detected as standard.

Would there be a way by creating a dummy lens in the lensdatabase file to overcome this and have the lens always detected as standard?

What should be the lensdatabase file content and syntax for this dummy lens?

Note: My camera is a Nikon (D5100, previously D60).

In the settings under image tab you get 2 EXIF options. You can set your lens type and Focal to a single value or you can make it use the EXIF data you specify if no EXIF data is found in your images.. let us know if this worked...

---------->>>>>>>>>><<<<<<<<<<----------

http://230virtual.com/
---------->>>>>>>>>><<<<<<<<<<----------

Canon 5D Mark II - Canon 50D - Canon 8-15mm - Canon 10-22mm