Can APP handle a hand held bracket for fusion?  

Share your tips and tricks here or get help with any Autopano Pro / Giga problem!
No bug reports (of any kind) in this forum!
no avatar
Bmachine

Topic author
Liked in: 0 post
Info

Can APP handle a hand held bracket for fusion?

by Bmachine » Sat Oct 22, 2011 11:54 pm

OK, clearly, in an ideal situation, a bracket should be done on a tripod with a remote, etc... But sometimes when you are hiking out you don't happen to have one with you.

APP is excellent at stitching panos that were shot hand held. But what if I want to do a bracket for each frame ... also hand held? Obviously the bracketed images will not register perfectly. But since APP is so good at stitching hand held panos, how does it handle hand held brackets on top of that in order to create an Exposure fusion pano?

Obviously the best way to find out is to try and I have been working on that. But, as many others have pointed out already, the docs for fusion are sketchy at best or mostly non existent. So I have not been able to get anything to work in terms of the workflow described here:

http://www.autopano.net/wiki-en/action/view/LDR_/_HDR_-_Workflow_case_B

I think that many important steps are simply not written out in that tutorial.

But I digress.

Thank you

Bo
iMac 27. OS 10.8.5. Aperture, APG, PS and Lightzone.
Nikon D600. Mostly handheld.

no avatar
Destiny

Liked in: 228 posts
Info

by Destiny » Sun Oct 23, 2011 9:29 am

No way... its hard enough to get it right with a tripod... If its just one single bracketed shot, you might stand a chance depending on the exposure time... other than that.. good luck!!! Even more so in apg... LOL...
Primary School Teacher - Hobby Virtual Tours and 3D/360 Object/Product Photographer - Our aim is to create a 3D/360 Virtual Tour Shop/Store with links to 3D/360 degree products. My gear, VR Drive II - D90 - Nikon 10.5 fisheye - Nikon D800 with Nikon-Nikkor 14-24 - NOVOFLEX Magic Balance - Acratech GP Ball-head - Nodal Ninja 4 + RD-16 Rotor - Manfrotto 190CXPRO4 Carbon Fiber Tripod :) :)

AlexandreJ
Kolor Team

Liked in: 10 posts
Info

by AlexandreJ » Mon Oct 24, 2011 12:07 pm

I did a lot of my panorama with HDR ( 3 brackets ) and totally handheld ( for 360° too ). Most of the time, you can still get quite good results, but some errors at hard edges will still remains.

no avatar
HansKeesom

Liked in: 2 posts
Info

by HansKeesom » Mon Oct 24, 2011 3:05 pm

maybe load them into autopano but do not group the photos by bracket. Helped me a few times when people were moving through the shots in brackets.
Regards, Hans Keesom
I stitch and render for other photographers. Price: 25 euro or less, no cure no pay. If you want to concentrate on your business let me do the stitching for you. Free TB of Dropbox space when you have more then 250 euro business a year.

AlexandreJ
Kolor Team

Liked in: 10 posts
Info

by AlexandreJ » Mon Oct 24, 2011 4:39 pm

When doing handheld, you need control point within the stack, so disable the hard link option if selected.

no avatar
Destiny

Info

by Destiny » Mon Oct 24, 2011 10:18 pm

Yes Alex but you are a calm cool lady standing rock solid... Destiny gets all excited so hand held is a BLUR!! :lol:

I really did try this out the other week.. oh man.. what a mess.. I even held my breath for 60 seconds..then I realised I still had the lens cover on...:P

D... ;)

AlexandreJ wrote:I did a lot of my panorama with HDR ( 3 brackets ) and totally handheld ( for 360° too ). Most of the time, you can still get quite good results, but some errors at hard edges will still remains.
Primary School Teacher - Hobby Virtual Tours and 3D/360 Object/Product Photographer - Our aim is to create a 3D/360 Virtual Tour Shop/Store with links to 3D/360 degree products. My gear, VR Drive II - D90 - Nikon 10.5 fisheye - Nikon D800 with Nikon-Nikkor 14-24 - NOVOFLEX Magic Balance - Acratech GP Ball-head - Nodal Ninja 4 + RD-16 Rotor - Manfrotto 190CXPRO4 Carbon Fiber Tripod :) :)

no avatar
Bmachine

Topic author
Info

by Bmachine » Thu Oct 27, 2011 4:51 am

UPDATE.

OK, I re shot my pano with a tripod and a Nodal Ninja 3 head and this time I did a 3 step bracket ( -2, 0 , +2 ).
I then redid the pano trying to follow the instructions as close as I could.
In "Group Settings" > Panorama, I grouped in layers by speed
In Render settings, I selected Exposure Fusion.
Then I set Multiband to -3. This, btw, unchecked the Exposure Fusion button.

Result? Excellent!
Now, since I use APP, I don't have fine control over the fusion but I find the resulting image really quite good for "out of the box" render.
So in my case, the problems I had were clearly operator error. Following a cleaner shooting process and following the instructions closely (especially re: grouping) solved my problems.

Thank you Alexandre.

Bo
Last edited by Bmachine on Thu Oct 27, 2011 4:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

no avatar
Bmachine

Topic author
Info

by Bmachine » Thu Oct 27, 2011 4:55 am

A creek in the shadow of trees, with high sun burning some areas. A recipe for exposure disaster.

no avatar
Destiny

Info

by Destiny » Thu Oct 27, 2011 10:12 pm

Hey... Is was that taken in Aus, look like it....

I have had susses in taking hand held bracketed shots but only using a normal lens with a bubble fitting on top of my Flash Shoe.... You can buy those in different arrays.. As for a fish eye lens hand held with bracketed shots, no way... apg will do a great job of stitching normal images but where possible most defiantly a tripod...

I like this shot but I think it needs more tone and and playing with... If you did all this in apg using fused images LDR then well done... Try putting your images into Photomatix... I think this images might look nice as a HDR too...

Destiny...

no avatar
Bmachine

Topic author
Info

by Bmachine » Thu Oct 27, 2011 10:24 pm

This pano was actually taken in a suburb of Los Angeles where I currently moved back to.

The image was not cleaned up and tonemapped. It is a straight 3 step bracket 7 images pano with all settings to default (except Multiband to -3 as suggested on the APP site) coming out of APP.

Bo

PS: Really miss Oz...