Autopano and Panotools, some questions.  

Share your tips and tricks here or get help with any Autopano Pro / Giga problem!
No bug reports (of any kind) in this forum!
no avatar
MFranquelo

Topic author
Liked in: 0 post
Info

Autopano and Panotools, some questions.

by MFranquelo » Wed Sep 28, 2011 1:55 pm

Hello all!

Im using Autopano giga 2.6 beta 2 at the moment for the stitching of my panoramas... (i have kolor's panogear also...)
Sometimes i use panotools when autopano does a worse job on control point detection, so my question is the next one...
when exporting from autopano, whats the difference between exporting to .pts , and exporting the template ?
does it keep the autopano's generated control points, in panotools ? and the same RMS ?
what about the rendering, which render engine is better ? or which one do you think is better at control point detection ?

- Also another question, i have a low amount of RAM memory ... 4GB.. how much should i have for a good perfomance in photos of 165 RAW/exposured merged 16bit TIFF images or so... ? im planning to buy more RAM
this week!

- And.. is there much difference between an SDD hard disk for autopano and a normal one ? is it worth to upgrade ?

Thank you!
Regards,Manuel.

AlexandreJ
Kolor Team

Liked in: 10 posts
Info

by AlexandreJ » Wed Sep 28, 2011 2:16 pm

MFranquelo wrote:Im using Autopano giga 2.6 beta 2 at the moment for the stitching of my panoramas... (i have kolor's panogear also...)
Sometimes i use panotools when autopano does a worse job on control point detection, so my question is the next one...
when exporting from autopano, whats the difference between exporting to .pts , and exporting the template ?

It has nothing in common. PTS is a panotools project whereas the template is something to reapply on another detection

MFranquelo wrote:does it keep the autopano's generated control points, in panotools ? and the same RMS ?

When exported to PTS, it does keep autopano control point.
RMS will be different because lens models are different.

MFranquelo wrote:- Also another question, i have a low amount of RAM memory ... 4GB.. how much should i have for a good perfomance in photos of 165 RAW/exposured merged 16bit TIFF images or so... ? im planning to buy more RAM
this week!

Be sure to have a 64bits OS because if not, you cannot use more RAM.

UK Pano

Info

by UK Pano » Wed Sep 28, 2011 2:25 pm

This post goes into hardware setups etc a lot and may answer some of your questions.

http://www.kolor.com/forum/t12117-should-a-gpu-ram-and-solid-statehdto-speed-up-giga-panorama-process

First to get would be as much RAM as you can afford. This can be relatively cheap and can easily get 16Gb for around GBP100.
Last edited by UK Pano on Wed Sep 28, 2011 2:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Canon 400D / Canon 24-105mm L / Sigma 8mm f3.5 FE / Sigma 10-20mm / Sigma 70-300mm / NN3 & R1 / PS CS2 / LR3 / Enfuse

no avatar
MFranquelo

Topic author
Info

by MFranquelo » Wed Sep 28, 2011 2:39 pm

Thank you for the fast answers! and sorry i should´ve looked in to the hardware forum first!
I also have another question.... im using this camera & lens : Nikon D7000 18-105 mm VR, why does APG tell me on the EXIF data that it has a focal distance of 157mm ?
im also using a focal distance x2duplicator AF-S, so it would be 314mm according to APG,(that is 157x2) ... so i have to "force APG to set the focal distance to 314", is this correct ?
Last edited by MFranquelo on Wed Sep 28, 2011 2:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

no avatar
mediavets

Liked in: 130 posts
Info

by mediavets » Wed Sep 28, 2011 3:39 pm

MFranquelo wrote:Thank you for the fast answers! and sorry i should´ve looked in to the hardware forum first!
I also have another question.... im using this camera & lens : Nikon D7000 18-105 mm VR, why does APG tell me on the EXIF data that it has a focal distance of 157mm ?

Nikon D7000 has a crop factor of 1.5x.
im also using a focal distance x2duplicator AF-S, so it would be 314mm according to APG,(that is 157x2) ... so i have to "force APG to set the focal distance to 314", is this correct ?

Yes, I think so.
Andrew Stephens
Many different Nodal Ninja and Agnos pano heads. Merlin/Panogear mount with Papywizard on Nokia Internet tablets.
Nikon D5100 and D40, Sigma 8mm f3.5 FE, Nikon 10.5mm FE, 35mm, 50mm, 18-55mm, 70-210mm. Promote control.

no avatar
hermer-blr

Info

by hermer-blr » Wed Sep 28, 2011 5:06 pm

either you "force" or you modify the cameras.txt (or lens.txt) database. It is up to how you feel it depending on your lens usage...
Nikon D5100 (formerly Nikon D60) - Sigma 10-20 - 24 shots Panoramas in 3 raws
Windows 32 bits - APG
website htt://jmh.trp.free.fr