Dictating the gird to APG  

Share your tips and tricks here or get help with any Autopano Pro / Giga problem!
No bug reports (of any kind) in this forum!
no avatar
con

Topic author
Liked in: 0 post
Info

Dictating the gird to APG

by con » Mon Sep 26, 2011 5:52 pm

I'm looking for a way to create a pre-defined grid and then importing images into the posiition and then running APG to find exact similarities and control points. Is there a way of doing this that anyone can share?

I've been trying to fool it with the gigapan plugin, but it has some drawbacks - are there any plugins worth noting as well?
thanks

AlexandreJ
Kolor Team

Liked in: 10 posts
Info

by AlexandreJ » Mon Sep 26, 2011 5:59 pm

To do that, I would generate a papywizard XML file which stores the exact coordinates and then use the papywizard plugin. This is the way to do this operation.

no avatar
con

Topic author
Info

by con » Mon Sep 26, 2011 6:10 pm

Excellent, thansk for that. Although it does look like another mountain of knowledge to assent :o

no avatar
mediavets

Liked in: 130 posts
Info

by mediavets » Mon Sep 26, 2011 7:07 pm

con wrote:I'm looking for a way to create a pre-defined grid and then importing images into the posiition and then running APG to find exact similarities and control points. Is there a way of doing this that anyone can share?

If you are shooting in a regular matrix/grid and have a consistent similar overlap on both axes then creating a Papywizard XML data file should help as Alexandre suggested.

It's quite easy to do. If you want to try it out quickly then I could generate the XML data file for you if you tell me:

1. The make/model of camrera and the focal length of the lens you are using.

2. The orientation of the images - portrait or landscape.

3. The number of images for each shooting position.

4. The number of rows and columns.

5. The pattern of shooting - for example starting top left and proceeding row by row with no return to first column at the end of each row, or whatever.

I've been trying to fool it with the gigapan plugin, but it has some drawbacks

What drawbacks did you run into?
Last edited by mediavets on Mon Sep 26, 2011 7:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Andrew Stephens
Many different Nodal Ninja and Agnos pano heads. Merlin/Panogear mount with Papywizard on Nokia Internet tablets.
Nikon D5100 and D40, Sigma 8mm f3.5 FE, Nikon 10.5mm FE, 35mm, 50mm, 18-55mm, 70-210mm. Promote control.

no avatar
con

Topic author
Info

by con » Mon Sep 26, 2011 9:16 pm

wow, an xml would be excellent. Especially as i'd imagin i could hack it up a bit in future for future shots.

Canon 5Dii
200mm lens
shooting portrait
4 rows x 72 colums (288) shooting for a 360
shooting in rows going upwards

think it might have been mistake on my part rather than drawback specific to the Gigapan plugin. Was having problems with the numbering of the files as had gone 9999 and reset so that was causing probelms and then had something, and then foolishly started numbering at 1 rather than 001. And then there was the omission of points with +40 rating, so the sky got shovelled out. Anyways suffice to say I'm trying to make as many mistakes as possible so i can get my head fully round this :)

no avatar
mediavets

Info

by mediavets » Mon Sep 26, 2011 9:46 pm

con wrote:wow, an xml would be excellent. Especially as i'd imagin i could hack it up a bit in future for future shots.

Canon 5Dii
200mm lens
shooting portrait
4 rows x 72 colums (288) shooting for a 360
shooting in rows going upwards

So did you start from bottom right or bottom left?

Did you return to the start of the row on second and subsequent rows or reverse at the end of a row for the next row?

Were you using a robotic panohead or shooting with a manual pano head?

How much overlap do you estimate between images? This is a key variable so I need your best estimate.

think it might have been mistake on my part rather than drawback specific to the Gigapan plugin. Was having problems with the numbering of the files as had gone 9999 and reset so that was causing probelms and then had something, and then foolishly started numbering at 1 rather than 001. And then there was the omission of points with +40 rating, so the sky got shovelled out. Anyways suffice to say I'm trying to make as many mistakes as possible so i can get my head fully round this :)

I think this will cause problems for the Papywizard Import wizard too - images much have consistent 'increasing' filenames. Papywizard has no way of knowing what the filenem sequence is - it merely records shooting position co-ordinates, so it assumes incrementing filenames to determine the order in which to place the images on the grid. So I think you will have to rename the images accordingly if you want to use the Papywizard Import wizard.
Last edited by mediavets on Mon Sep 26, 2011 9:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Andrew Stephens
Many different Nodal Ninja and Agnos pano heads. Merlin/Panogear mount with Papywizard on Nokia Internet tablets.
Nikon D5100 and D40, Sigma 8mm f3.5 FE, Nikon 10.5mm FE, 35mm, 50mm, 18-55mm, 70-210mm. Promote control.

no avatar
con

Topic author
Info

by con » Mon Sep 26, 2011 9:59 pm

thansk for tyhe help mediavets

return to the start of the row on second and subsequent rows
Shooting manual head
i think the overlap according to online calc is about 28 %

yea, increasing names it has to be. I would have thought that APG would readthe exif, but it easy fix, just glad to finally know it.:)

no avatar
lumelix

Info

by lumelix » Mon Sep 26, 2011 10:00 pm

Have a look at my proposal for an easy workflow with the gigapan import function. I get really good results when stitching a lot of images this way (when they are numbered continuous) :
http://www.kolor.com/forum/postgallery.php?pid=84890&filename=Easy+Workflow.jpg
Regards
Martin

no avatar
mediavets

Info

by mediavets » Mon Sep 26, 2011 10:45 pm

con wrote:thansk for tyhe help mediavets

return to the start of the row on second and subsequent rows
Shooting manual head
i think the overlap according to online calc is about 28 %

yea, increasing names it has to be. I would have thought that APG would readthe exif, but it easy fix, just glad to finally know it.:)

I've sent you a Papywizard XML data file as an email attchment.

Use it with the papywizard Import wizard and your renamed images. It may help position 'featureless' images.
Andrew Stephens

no avatar
rschlierbeck

Liked in: 1 post
Info

by rschlierbeck » Tue Sep 27, 2011 4:48 pm

Can the Papywizard XML file be created manually ie: notepad?

no avatar
mediavets

Info

by mediavets » Tue Sep 27, 2011 6:33 pm

rschlierbeck wrote:Can the Papywizard XML file be created manually ie: notepad?

Yes, here is the detail of the format/structure:

http://www.autopano.net/wiki-en/action/view/Panohead_XML_data_file
Andrew Stephens

gkaefer

Liked in: 15 posts
Info

by gkaefer » Tue Sep 27, 2011 9:05 pm

rschlierbeck wrote:Can the Papywizard XML file be created manually ie: notepad?

yes xml files are plain text files...
but no need to create the file manually...

download the latest available development version:
http://www.papywizard.org/wiki/Download
... for your OS
you can start the programm and run it in simulation mode. So the xml file an be created very easily without the need of connection to a motorized pano head (like the merlin)...

Georg
Last edited by gkaefer on Tue Sep 27, 2011 9:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

no avatar
rschlierbeck

Info

by rschlierbeck » Wed Sep 28, 2011 12:04 pm

Georg,

Thank you. I understand XML files but was unclear about the contents of the Papywizard file. I will follow your advice.

Scott

no avatar
rschlierbeck

Info

by rschlierbeck » Thu Sep 29, 2011 12:34 am

Another big thank you to everyone. I installed Papywizard and made an XML file for my 360s. I use a Sigma 17-50mm lens at 17mm on a Nikon D300. I created the XML file for 9 frames at +60, 9 frames at 0 and 9 frames at -60. No zenith or nadir. I always pacth the nadir in later.

APG has always done a pretty good job with these sets but I have had to go in and manually fix many stitching errors afterwards. My first test with the import and xml looked really really bad. I realized that the xml file was identifying the rotation backwards from the way I actually captured things. I reversed the direction of capture and things got very good. APG was able to place featureless frames that it could not do before. Big improvement. Playing around I tried a few other settings that I had never used. I changed the distortion model to "1st order + optical axis center" and the result was simply the best 360 stitch I have ever done. Virtually no stitching errors at all.

Needless to say I'm ecstatic. I want back and did the same thing to some other previous stitches with the same results. Basically perfect! I couldn't be happier tonight.

Thank you again for pointing me in the right direction.

Scott