Help - Ghost removal in bracketed panorama  

Share your tips and tricks here or get help with any Autopano Pro / Giga problem!
No bug reports (of any kind) in this forum!
no avatar
hermer-blr

Topic author
Liked in: 0 post
Info

Help - Ghost removal in bracketed panorama

by hermer-blr » Sun Aug 28, 2011 4:20 pm

I just stitched a 78 images panorama (26 bracketed images, everything shot handheld) and, after 6h50mn of processing I got a wonderful result. For this, I used the exposure fusion mode of APG 2.5 that is really very impressive.

Now, I have ghosts to remove. There were people moving and the ghosts, I think, come mostly from the changes between brackets.

As the panorama will be very long to render, I would like to avoid too many trials and would prefer, straightforwardly, to go to the optimal processing for this. Any suggestion on how to best remove the ghosts ?

My own tendency would be to systematically remove the people from the -2 and +2 exposures. Will that be enough? Do I also need to create holes in those exposure to make sure that the people in exposure 0 will be kept in the picture ? Other experience to share?
Last edited by hermer-blr on Sun Aug 28, 2011 4:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Nikon D5100 (formerly Nikon D60) - Sigma 10-20 - 24 shots Panoramas in 3 raws
Windows 32 bits - APG
website htt://jmh.trp.free.fr

gkaefer

Liked in: 15 posts
Info

by gkaefer » Sun Aug 28, 2011 4:39 pm

cheap, but time comsuming:

locate the set of bracket images with ghoasts, take the according single image where the ghoast is coming from and erase it (alpha mask.)
load the so manipulated set of images and the ghoasts are gone...

less cheap, faster:
use an external program like photomatix pro to create from a bracket set of images one final stacked image. photomatix has an ghoast removal function you can very easily apply (semi manual and also autmatic modus). the so prestacked images finally will also faster be processed by autopano.

you of course can take the final rendered image from autopano and use the according tools from photoshop, photoshop elements etc. to erase ghoasts (sky, bottom surfaces, persons in front of walls etc.)

and you can play with the "blending settings"-> "Muliband Level" (If I remember correct this also effects the ghoast removal)

Georg
Last edited by gkaefer on Sun Aug 28, 2011 4:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

no avatar
HansKeesom

Liked in: 2 posts
Info

by HansKeesom » Sun Aug 28, 2011 4:45 pm

unstack them all does/might also give a result that is rather good
Regards, Hans Keesom
I stitch and render for other photographers. Price: 25 euro or less, no cure no pay. If you want to concentrate on your business let me do the stitching for you. Free TB of Dropbox space when you have more then 250 euro business a year.

no avatar
hermer-blr

Topic author
Liked in: 0 post
Info

by hermer-blr » Sun Aug 28, 2011 5:03 pm

To Gkaefer:

The ghosts are moving people. Hence, from one shot to the next (within the bracketed series), they move... I would like to keep the people, because they give the scale of the panorama (Bryce Canyon), but not as ghost. What will happen if I only erase them from the -2 and +2 images ? Do I also need to create holes in those images to make sure that those people in image 0 will stay in the panorama without being superimposed with the background ?

Photomatix (I own it) is a possibility but after some tests I have reached the conclusion that APG + Exposure fusion is slightly better than Photomatix:

http://www.kolor.com/forum/t12909-color-correction-in-exposure-fusion

And I would like, if it is possible, to always use the same process (even if time consuming) for all my panos...

To Hanskeesom:

Is "unstacking" compatible with exposure fusion ??? In this case, what color correction must I apply: Only 1 remaining layer, ie only one anchor ?
Nikon D5100 (formerly Nikon D60) - Sigma 10-20 - 24 shots Panoramas in 3 raws
Windows 32 bits - APG
website htt://jmh.trp.free.fr

no avatar
HansKeesom

Liked in: 2 posts
Info

by HansKeesom » Sun Aug 28, 2011 5:15 pm

Honesty I have no idea.

But the people are kept rather well without much masking. I start with generating a 10% pano and then decide what should be masked.

I am still inventing this myself so no detailed knowlegde
Regards, Hans Keesom
I stitch and render for other photographers. Price: 25 euro or less, no cure no pay. If you want to concentrate on your business let me do the stitching for you. Free TB of Dropbox space when you have more then 250 euro business a year.