creating a map from aerophotos.  

Share your tips and tricks here or get help with any Autopano Pro / Giga problem!
No bug reports (of any kind) in this forum!
no avatar
shatrey

Topic author
Liked in: 0 post
Info

creating a map from aerophotos.

by shatrey » Wed Aug 24, 2011 12:41 pm

Hi all!

I have ~15.000 pictures from my town that was created from helicopter. Is it possible to create one big or some smaller maps using APG?
In PhotoShop I can create something like this Image

no avatar
mediavets

Liked in: 130 posts
Info

by mediavets » Wed Aug 24, 2011 2:15 pm

shatrey wrote:Hi all!

I have ~15.000 pictures from my town that was created from helicopter. Is it possible to create one big or some smaller maps using APG?

Yes, it should be possible - download the software and give it a try. I suggest the latest beta.

http://www.kolor.com/download-autopano-panotour-panorama-virtual-tour-software.html
Andrew Stephens
Many different Nodal Ninja and Agnos pano heads. Merlin/Panogear mount with Papywizard on Nokia Internet tablets.
Nikon D5100 and D40, Sigma 8mm f3.5 FE, Nikon 10.5mm FE, 35mm, 50mm, 18-55mm, 70-210mm. Promote control.

AlexandreJ
Kolor Team

Liked in: 10 posts
Info

by AlexandreJ » Wed Aug 24, 2011 2:23 pm

Yes, it could be done with that amount of images with a good computer : windows or mac, 64 bits needed.

I advises you at least 12 GB RAM, reduce the memory allocated to rendering so that everything is just for detection. Do the detection and then only go back to the general memory setting to raise again this value when you are done with the detection.

no avatar
digipano

Info

by digipano » Wed Aug 24, 2011 2:24 pm

The latest version of APG allows for orthographic stitches but the biggest problem in aerial orthographic stitching is that the stitch will appear curved & I don't think there is any way to keep the stitch straight, the vertical/horizontal line tool will not work in this case at all, since its designed to work with images shot from a single point.

Others members can shed some light too on this topic.

no avatar
digipano

Info

by digipano » Wed Aug 24, 2011 2:35 pm

AlexandreJ wrote:Do the detection and then only go back to the general memory setting to raise again this value when you are done with the detection.

Alex wouldn't it be better if autopano knew what it is doing & switch the memory allocation automatically?

[bo]

Info

by [bo] » Wed Aug 24, 2011 5:47 pm

IMHO, the shots above show HUGE amount of unnecessary overlap. Especially the first one - I think you can use one on every 3 or 4 images. So the total number to process will go down dramatically.
Some of my panoramas, posted in the Autopano Pro flickr group.

AlexandreJ
Kolor Team

Liked in: 10 posts
Info

by AlexandreJ » Wed Aug 24, 2011 6:08 pm

digipano wrote:Alex wouldn't it be better if autopano knew what it is doing & switch the memory allocation automatically?

Sure, we tried to do that ... not that easy.

no avatar
Guilhem

Liked in: 3 posts
Info

by Guilhem » Wed Aug 24, 2011 6:53 pm

Have you tried to put 1000mm focal inside APG ? Its the same work as for reproduction, isn't it ?

no avatar
digipano

Info

by digipano » Wed Aug 24, 2011 7:17 pm

Guilhem wrote:Have you tried to put 1000mm focal inside APG ? Its the same work as for reproduction, isn't it ?

1000mm works well for art repro work since its almost flat, but aerial images are not perfectly flat they have 3d objects & landmark too. More over they curve & don't form a straight line of the straight flight path I guess due to spherical surface of earth.

no avatar
shatrey

Topic author
Info

by shatrey » Thu Aug 25, 2011 6:43 am

Thank you for ansers!

the vertical/horizontal line tool will not work in this case at all, since its designed to work with images shot from a single point.

I insert focal ~100000mm and it is almost perfect.

IMHO, the shots above show HUGE amount of unnecessary overlap. Especially the first one - I think you can use one on every 3 or 4 images. So the total number to process will go down dramatically.

The result is not so good if I use every second image, but the speed of procesing increasing

Yes, it could be done with that amount of images with a good computer : windows or mac, 64 bits needed.
I advises you at least 12 GB RAM, reduce the memory allocated to rendering so that everything is just for detection.

My current laptop is 32bit and have 2GB RAM, but solution is easy. I create small maps from 200-300 photos and then use small maps and it is working
Last edited by shatrey on Thu Aug 25, 2011 6:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

Castillonis

Info

by Castillonis » Fri Aug 26, 2011 12:28 pm

1. You can use the settings->optimization tab-> multiple viewpoints checkbox . I have used the 1000 mm trick in other stitchers, but APG has yielded better results. I will need to try the very large focal length to observe any improvements.

2. You can create another folder of reduced resolution images to quickly try different methods. Then at full size when you have figured it out.
a. Stitch overall vertical imagery in pieces. Piece these together in Photoshop using transform warp, gradient mask / photomerge. These smaller groups will stitch as a more uniform plane with less alignment problems. It would be great to have some type of tool to connect these smaller groups together. Photoshop photomerge can cause problems. I often merge the different large images using a gradient mask to blend. Sometimes photomerge actually works better. It varies from merge to merge of images. ( This would actually be a big help for a large project that I am currently working on. )

3. When photographs deviate from the Nadir / Normal or are at different distances, you can correct the photo ( orthorectify the image and scale ) before including it in a stitch using photoshop. I have found images captured at different distances cause the most problems during alignment.

4. Calculating flight lines for near vertical imager ( vertical imagery is technically less than 4 degrees from the nadir ) you do need to more overlap than in a normal panorama in order to deal with objects that are tall. Usually your overlap between photos on a particular flight line will be 60% and the sidelap between photos of different flight lines will be around 20%. This is especially important if you are flying at a lower elevation such as 250 meters to 150 meters from the ground.

5. Also, it is often best to capture near vertical imagery at solar noon to minimize shadows.

The blend times for rendering are reduced substantially for groups of 100 to 300 images when you increase the amount of memory from 8GB to 16GB or 24GB. I am wondering if Alexandre and Lionel have looked at disk address traces to determine if IO is largely sequential and not random IO. SSD would give you the largest performance increases for random IO.
Last edited by Castillonis on Fri Aug 26, 2011 12:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.