Tripod shift during gigapixel shooting  

Share your tips and tricks here or get help with any Autopano Pro / Giga problem!
No bug reports (of any kind) in this forum!
no avatar
sl

Topic author
Liked in: 0 post
Info

Tripod shift during gigapixel shooting

by sl » Thu Jun 23, 2011 8:10 am

Hello,

I'm experiencing a problem with stitching the gigapixel image, where during the shooting process tripod moved a little bit, shifting current row half a frame up, which resulted in significant misalign. No information was lost, I just need a good project to stitch.

First, I tried to stitch using normal workflow with gigapan import. It made all right, but the row with problems was pre-aligned, and the photos only have 1 pair of control point with neighbours, obviously incorrect. When opening the pairs in control points editor it is possible to generate control points automatically, but the number of problematic image pairs estimates as 335, to many for hand work. To be exact, I launched automatic CP generation using geometry analysis, it works about 30-50 seconds and finds a lot of CPs for any pair, but I don't know how to launch the process for all image pairs.

I also tried alternative way, getting autopano to find all links without gigapan pre-alignment, it works OK, but find a lot of bad links, and 2 rows of the sky are all gone, therefore I think the first project is more prospective for perfection.

Is there any method to solve the problem?

Thanks in advance

klausesser

Liked in: 64 posts
Info

by klausesser » Thu Jun 23, 2011 3:25 pm

sl wrote:Hello,

I'm experiencing a problem with stitching the gigapixel image, where during the shooting process tripod moved a little bit, shifting current row half a frame up, which resulted in significant misalign. No information was lost, I just need a good project to stitch.

Hi!
Did you try "multiple viewpoints" in "optimising"? or before in "detection"?

best, Klaus
Last edited by klausesser on Thu Jun 23, 2011 3:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Simplicity is the keynote of all true elegance. Coco Chanel

no avatar
lumelix

Info

by lumelix » Fri Jun 24, 2011 10:35 am

Hello sl
I shot some Gigapanos manually without a motorized panohead.
So I had a similar problem, because the overlaps between the single shots where irregular and the rows haven't the same overlap too.

First I try a lot to get more images detectet, but the sky and the out-of-focus corners were the problem like in your case.
Then I find a way using the gigapan import option which worked very well in my case (see explanations in the image below) ;-)
So try out this way with your pano, perhaps it works well too.

Unfortunately, after this well stitching, the next problem was the color correction which did not function correctly with this panoramas - until today not!
Like that I am not able to finish and publish this panoramas until now ¦-(
This was in last December, so I'm disappointed that kolor could not find and could not offer a solution up to now.
I ask myself on which way kolor solved this with the Paris26 panorama ?

Last edited by lumelix on Fri Jun 24, 2011 10:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
Regards
Martin

klausesser

Info

by klausesser » Fri Jun 24, 2011 12:49 pm

Hi lumelix!

A very basic rule when shooting for a stitch: use manual settings. If you use as example AWB you have lots of different white-balances among your shots. Most likely hard to correct them. If you use auto-exposure also might cause problems - but APP/G usually cam correct it.
For doing gigapixel shots you either should use a motorized head which writes positioning files (really very helpful for clear sky and water) or you must position a lot of images manually.

I guess Kolor did the shooting of Paris 26GPx simply in the appropriate way . . . ;):cool:

best, Klaus

no avatar
hankkarl

Info

by hankkarl » Fri Jun 24, 2011 4:21 pm

Take the pano made with gigapan import. Then turn off the row/column shooting option in the CP editor options. Then break the bad links and add good ones.

no avatar
lumelix

Info

by lumelix » Fri Jun 24, 2011 10:24 pm

Hi Klaus
I never shot a gigapano with auto exposure or auto WB. It's clear that this is not a good idea for gigapanos.
I set my D3 to manual exposure and manual WB too.
But I still have big problems with the color correction system of APG.
I'm not able to finish any of my gigapanos which had irregular lighting during the shooting.
I send kolor a image subset to the ftp-server too for testing this problem.

Panoheads are a fine thing and a nice piece of technology.
But I 'm often per pedes and carry already over 10 kg of equipment.
Besides I like to be the photographer and not only the operator ;-)
Last edited by lumelix on Thu Jun 30, 2011 10:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
Regards
Martin

klausesser

Info

by klausesser » Fri Jun 24, 2011 11:08 pm

lumelix wrote:Besides I like to be the photographer and not only the operator ;-)

You operate a camera . . . ;), don´t you. Otherwise you can´t take photographs. I guess you use a tripod or a strobe sometimes!? Theses things are tools - as well as a motorized panohead is a tool. And you use a stitcher application . . and i guess you use an image editor. Does all that mean you are "only" an operator?
The goal is to take good photographs - how ever you do might do it.

best, Klaus

no avatar
lumelix

Info

by lumelix » Sat Jun 25, 2011 12:41 pm

Hi Klaus
You are right! With all the camera technology and the programs one asks oneself whether one is still photographed or nevertheless only operator :)
I hope that sl can finish his panorama with the shown approach.
Regards
Martin

no avatar
sl

Topic author
Info

by sl » Wed Jun 29, 2011 2:06 pm

Thanks everyone for answers. I managed to stitch the project by simple generating new control points and optimization with some of the parameters mentioned here.