Color shifts  

Share your tips and tricks here or get help with any Autopano Pro / Giga problem!
No bug reports (of any kind) in this forum!
no avatar
knmiller@me.com

Topic author
Liked in: 0 post
Info

Color shifts

by knmiller@me.com » Tue Jun 21, 2011 10:27 pm

Hi

I am stuck with some odd color shifts on image that I bring into Autopano. I shoot raw and edit in LR, I export the images as Tiff's and when I view them in Finder they are fine however on initial import to Autopano they all change color dramatically.

Here is an example

AlexandreJ
Kolor Team

Liked in: 10 posts
Info

by AlexandreJ » Wed Jun 22, 2011 8:12 am

That may be the result of color correction. Did you try with or without color correction to compare ?

no avatar
knmiller@me.com

Topic author
Info

by knmiller@me.com » Wed Jun 22, 2011 9:37 am

Hi Alexandre

No the problem is there before any color correction options come into play. I have also set my preferences to NOT color correct. It seems like the files are being assigned an odd color space when they are initially being imported into Autopano, the predominant color shifts are blue to magenta and orange to yellow.

no avatar
hankkarl

Info

by hankkarl » Wed Jun 22, 2011 2:08 pm

What color space are the images set to before you import them?

no avatar
knmiller@me.com

Topic author
Info

by knmiller@me.com » Wed Jun 22, 2011 2:13 pm

They were set to ProphotoRGB. But the same problem happens when I use AdobeRGB 1998.

I think the problem is Autopano is not using any color profile as when I open the rendered pano in Photoshop it asks me what color profile I would like to assign i.e. Autopano is dropping the color profile when I open the images in Autopano.

AlexandreJ
Kolor Team

Liked in: 10 posts
Info

by AlexandreJ » Wed Jun 22, 2011 3:59 pm

The fact that we drop some profile happens only in some file format and unfortunately, in PSD / PSB, it happens. That may be the reason.

no avatar
knmiller@me.com

Topic author
Info

by knmiller@me.com » Wed Jun 22, 2011 4:08 pm

I was using the TIFF format, is there any other reason why this might be happening, I export using Lightroom.

Cheers

DrSlony

Info

by DrSlony » Wed Jun 22, 2011 7:09 pm

Convert your tiffs to sRGB before importing them and see if that stops the color change. If it does, you know what the problem is.

no avatar
Remko

Info

by Remko » Sun Oct 23, 2011 9:12 pm

I just downloaded the trial version of Autopano Giga and ran into the very same problem.

It looks like APG does not handle or does not know how to handle color profiles. sRGB is no option for me as a landscape shooter, as that is the smallest color space there is and only of interest of JPEGs shooters. If that would be the "solution", than APG for sure cannot handle color profiles. I cannot imagine that being the case, honestly, so I assume there is something else going on.

The results I get out of APG are totally off color wise. Hopefully I am doing something wrong, as I do like the software and the very intuitive user interface a lot ! The software is really a joy to use and I was close to purchasing APG, until I saw the totally off images I got :-(

I used 16 bits TIFFs with the ProPhoto RGB colorspace, also tried TIFFs with Adobe1998 color space, and to see if I got a better result out of APG I tried to use PSDs as well. But I could not import these. There were no error messages and the user manual page about the supported input file formats is blank, but I guess for now that PSDs are not supported for inputting files.
As the TIFFs were generated using Nikon's CNX2 software, I also used TIFFs generated by Lighroom 3. But unfortunately, that did not make a difference.

I also have a trial version of PTGui, which in itself is not color managed, but does know how to handle files with a color profile attached to it. The difference in output between the 2 programs therefor is huge in favor of PTGUI.

I played around with enabled and disabled color correction in APG, but to no avail. Any suggestions are highly appreciated.

Regards,
Remko

Edit: corrected a spelling error
Last edited by Remko on Sun Oct 23, 2011 9:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

no avatar
mediavets

Liked in: 130 posts
Info

by mediavets » Sun Oct 23, 2011 10:50 pm

Remko wrote:It looks like APG does not handle or does not know how to handle color profiles.

See: http://www.kolor.com/forum/p89857-2011-10-21-08-07-07#p89857
Andrew Stephens
Many different Nodal Ninja and Agnos pano heads. Merlin/Panogear mount with Papywizard on Nokia Internet tablets.
Nikon D5100 and D40, Sigma 8mm f3.5 FE, Nikon 10.5mm FE, 35mm, 50mm, 18-55mm, 70-210mm. Promote control.

no avatar
Remko

Info

by Remko » Sun Oct 23, 2011 11:12 pm

Thanks for your reply, Andrew.

I had the issue with both PSD and TIFFs though. No difference.

But with TIFFs I came a bit further by experimenting tonight. Somehow the by APG generated TIFFs are way off, color wise, when looking at them in a color management application like Photo Mechanic, Lightroom or others ....... unless I open such a TIFF in PS CS5. Than the colors are fine !

I have no idea what's going on. Looks like a color profile is only *activated* when opening the file in CS5 (or maybe any other pixel editor).

Anyhow I am much happier now ;)

Cheers,
Remko
Last edited by Remko on Sun Oct 23, 2011 11:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

no avatar
F16

Info

by F16 » Thu Oct 27, 2011 10:15 pm

I concur with the above comments. Iv'e tried using Tiff's instead of .PSD. Same problem in both the 2.5 version and the latest 2.6 version APG does not seem capable of properly handling color profiles. The colors of a rendered pano are way off regardless of settings chosen or file format choice.

I shoot with a Canon 1Ds MK III, I always shoot in Raw which has the .CR2 extension. My camera color profile is set to RGB. When I open a raw file and stitch from within APG none of the changes I've made to the original raw files in adobe camera raw are being read by APG, as a result All I get is the base raw file information. Although if one opens images from within Adobe bridge ( I use CS5 ) it appears some of the Exif information from corrected raw images might be getting through to APG I'm not sure how much information but apparently not color profiles.

With no color options applied from within APG, the colors of the image in the APG work window sometimes but not always look close to those in CS5 but not exact. And there are still blending issues especially in images that show large portions of the sky. The real problem occurs when I render the panorama. The colors are way off in the rendered panorama. I'm guessing the color profile is being dropped in the rendering process or something else is going on. I have the same color rendering problem wether I choose .PSD .PSB or .Tiff. It does no good to try and reassign the color profile in photoshop afterwards.
Last edited by F16 on Thu Oct 27, 2011 10:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.