work flow for hdr panorama  

Share your tips and tricks here or get help with any Autopano Pro / Giga problem!
No bug reports (of any kind) in this forum!
no avatar
hbschwartz

Topic author
Liked in: 0 post
Info

work flow for hdr panorama

by hbschwartz » Wed Jun 15, 2011 11:25 pm

i am going to try using autopano for a hdr panorama. here is how i think it should be done, and i hope i will get some feedback if this is correct.

1. take my bracketed shot, generally five images, at each part of the panorama.
2. use photomatix pro to make each bracketed image.
3. use autopano to take and make a panorama of each hdr photo.

do i need to do anything special in photomatix? i have seen a lot of forum dialogue about this, and it seems fairly straight forward. am i missing something?

any special settings in autopano pro to stitch the hdr images together?

thanks.

no avatar
hbschwartz

Topic author
Info

by hbschwartz » Wed Jun 15, 2011 11:29 pm

sorry, but is this very complicated? in looking over previous posts, it seems very difficult. i guess i need a workflow and setting for autopano pro. thanks.

no avatar
tived

Info

by tived » Thu Jun 16, 2011 6:41 am

Stitching the HDR processed images is like stitching any images, e.g its a single layer of images

Try it - show us the result and we can work it from there!

Henrik

no avatar
Mr Moose

Info

by Mr Moose » Wed Jun 22, 2011 9:30 pm

This is my work flow for a HDR pano using Photomatix pro.

Using a spherical pano head and a 85mm lens. I shoot vertical columns of 4 to 5 shots. For HDR I shoot 3 to 4 exposures (depends on scene DR) per vertical frame with 30% to 40% overlap (again, it depends on the scene) I do the same for the horizontal axis.
Bring all of the raw images in to ACR, set everything to Zero in ACR, you don't want ACR doing "anything" to the exposure, save in the order they were shot, I change the name to "0001" and save as 16 bit tif in a folder named "ACR Tif results"
Open Photomatix Pro load one of the 3 to 4 exposure groups, play with the sliders until just right, save settings. I use exposure fusion to blend the exposures as it gives a more natural result.
Once the settings are saved, I batch all of the exposures using your saved settings telling Photomatix the number of exposures in each group (that's why all of the images need to in the order they were shot) Save to folder named Photomatix results.
Its important to save every result in its own folder in the order it was shot, so its easy to find for the next step in the process.
Now I open Autopano Pro. I set APP to open images as stacks, which they are when shot as a vertical column, make any changes to the settings APP, close APP and reopen to make any changes active. Find the folder, Photomatix results, select all of the images, and let APP do its thing saving everything to a folder named Autopano results.
There you have it, and yes, it can get some what complicated.

One thing I sometimes do is to take the folder with the Photomatix results and run the tif's through ACR as a batch before stitching, I make modest adjustments punching up the image, saving to yet another folder. The reason for this is the fact the resulting pano will more than likely be to large to save as a tif, I save as a PSB, and you can't open that in ACR.
Also, I Don't Do Any Sharpening Before Stitching, make sure ACR has everything set to zero.

gkaefer

Liked in: 15 posts
Info

by gkaefer » Thu Jun 23, 2011 1:27 am

what is ACR?
is not sharpening the RAWs better than after all sharpening the "worser" tiff quality?
if you enfuse your image stacks with photomatix, why do you than load then into stacks in APG?

Georg
Last edited by gkaefer on Thu Jun 23, 2011 1:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

klausesser

Liked in: 64 posts
Info

by klausesser » Thu Jun 23, 2011 3:31 pm

Process your sets in Photomatix with fusion or tonemapping. Then export the results as 16bit TIFFs. Then import them into APG and stitch them. You´ll see it´s fast and reliable. No stacks or so needed.

best, Klaus
Simplicity is the keynote of all true elegance. Coco Chanel

no avatar
lumelix

Info

by lumelix » Fri Jun 24, 2011 10:57 am

But how to correct the colors after this in APG ?
Single HDRIs have very different colors most of time, even when developed with the same parameters in Photomatix ?
I try out a lot but never get usable results with the color correction in APG.
Regards
Martin

klausesser

Info

by klausesser » Fri Jun 24, 2011 12:57 pm

lumelix wrote:But how to correct the colors after this in APG ?
Single HDRIs have very different colors most of time, even when developed with the same parameters in Photomatix ?
I try out a lot but never get usable results with the color correction in APG.

Related to your post in the other thread: i guess you use AWB? Can´t work! If you have a set of images shot using different settings they can´t be matched sufficiently.

best, Klaus

klausesser

Info

by klausesser » Fri Jun 24, 2011 12:58 pm

Martin!

Can you tell precisely ehat kind of camera/lens/head and which settings you used? Impossible to help without these informations.

best, Klaus

no avatar
Mr Moose

Info

by Mr Moose » Fri Jun 24, 2011 7:58 pm

gkaefer wrote:what is ACR?
is not sharpening the RAWs better than after all sharpening the "worser" tiff quality?
if you enfuse your image stacks with photomatix, why do you than load then into stacks in APG?

Georg

I find that any sharpening before stitching gives me strange results, it seems to create some kind of artifacts, but I could be wrong. Try stitching something sharpened, and then try the same unsharpened.

klausesser

Info

by klausesser » Fri Jun 24, 2011 8:02 pm

Mr Moose wrote:
gkaefer wrote:what is ACR?

Georg

I find that any sharpening before stitching gives me strange results, it seems to create some kind of artifacts, but I could be wrong. Try stitching something sharpened, and then try the same unsharpened.

Sharpening the RAWs before anything else is preferable in my eyes. But of course you need to be careful - as you need with every kind sharpening.

best, Klaus