somewhat strange behaviour . .  

Share your tips and tricks here or get help with any Autopano Pro / Giga problem!
No bug reports (of any kind) in this forum!
klausesser

Topic author
Liked in: 63 posts
Info

somewhat strange behaviour . .

by klausesser » Sun May 22, 2011 1:07 pm

. . . i experienced a minor stitching error in the "near field" in APG with using a Canon 15mm on a 5D2 when set at 10° tilted down - shooting 20% overlap = 5 hor. + Zenith. NPP is set perfectly on both axis!
Initial RMS is about 4,5 and optimized it hangs at 3. No way to get a visually perfect result. Needs retouche.
Using PTGui with the same set of images there´s no error at all.

Shooting the set at 90° hor. there´s no error in APG. In both cases i didn´t use an xml for positioning.

best, Klaus
Simplicity is the keynote of all true elegance. Coco Chanel

no avatar
GURL

Liked in: 0 post
Info

by GURL » Sun May 22, 2011 6:30 pm

Annoying behavior certainly, but I don't see this as a strange behavior.

If using PTgui as your standard stitcher you would certainly find that some 360 x 180 panos are suffering from minor stitching errors that Autopano is able to avoid. That a row at 0 deg. is easiest to stitch than a row at -10 deg. is not a surprise for me: the more close ground is included in a shot the more difficult to optimize the pano.

Besides that, you perhaps missed the following...
in the Announcements forum, on 29/04/2011, AlexandreJ wrote:We are now concentrated on integrating all different studies made into 2.6 version. [..] We will propose a new lens distortion improvement to be able to stitch better short focal length rectilinear lenses.
Georges

klausesser

Topic author
Info

by klausesser » Sun May 22, 2011 6:43 pm

GURL wrote:Annoying behavior certainly, but I don't see this as a strange behavior.

If using PTgui as your standard stitcher you would certainly find that some 360 x 180 panos are suffering from minor stitching errors that Autopano is able to avoid. That a row at 0 deg. is easiest to stitch than a row at -10 deg. is not a surprise for me: the more close ground is included in a shot the more difficult to optimize the pano.

in the Announcements forum, on 29/04/2011, AlexandreJ wrote:We are now concentrated on integrating all different studies made into 2.6 version. [..] We will propose a new lens distortion improvement to be able to stitch better short focal length rectilinear lenses.

Hey Georges!

Yes - i read it. I´m just asking myself why it takes the time up to vers. 2.6 to fix this problem? See - many photographers use the camera that way for quite a long time i guess . .
Is there a workaround? I tried "multiple viewpoints" - of no help. Is this related to dedicated lenses or to ff via crop? People who shoot two rows - and + like Andrew must be suffering even more . . right? Or is it different with the Nikon 10,5 on 1,5 crop?

best, Klaus
Last edited by klausesser on Sun May 22, 2011 6:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

no avatar
GURL

Info

by GURL » Sun May 22, 2011 7:18 pm

Leaving standard as lens type but using Fisheye as optimization preset helped in some occasions, but I would not provide any guarantee ! :o Apology: this was a stupid answer as this lens is a fisheye !
Last edited by GURL on Mon May 23, 2011 3:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Georges

no avatar
mediavets

Liked in: 130 posts
Info

by mediavets » Sun May 22, 2011 8:16 pm

klausesser wrote:People who shoot two rows - and + like Andrew must be suffering even more . . right? Or is it different with the Nikon 10,5 on 1,5 crop?

best, Klaus

You said you shot 5-around? I believe 6-around is the normal pattern with 5DMkII and 15mm FE.

I shoot two rows of 6 when shooting two rows pattern - -10/15 pitch and about +50 pitch.
Andrew Stephens
Many different Nodal Ninja and Agnos pano heads. Merlin/Panogear mount with Papywizard on Nokia Internet tablets.
Nikon D5100 and D40, Sigma 8mm f3.5 FE, Nikon 10.5mm FE, 35mm, 50mm, 18-55mm, 70-210mm. Promote control.

no avatar
hankkarl

Info

by hankkarl » Mon May 23, 2011 3:15 pm

GURL wrote:Annoying behavior certainly, but I don't see this as a strange behavior.

I thought the Canon 15mm was a fisheye. http://consumer.usa.canon.com/cusa/consumer/products/cameras/ef_lens_lineup/ef_15mm_f_2_8_fisheye
The Canon 14mm "L" is a rectilinear lens. And there's a big price difference between the two!

Klaus, you're using a "non-L" lens?!!
Last edited by hankkarl on Mon May 23, 2011 3:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

klausesser

Topic author
Info

by klausesser » Mon May 23, 2011 6:34 pm

hankkarl wrote:I thought the Canon 15mm was a fisheye.

It IS a fisheye! And it´s the only Canon lens i have. Others are manual Nikon lenses adapted for the Canon. Like them better.
So i don´t own a "L" lens . . :cool:

KE

no avatar
hankkarl

Info

by hankkarl » Wed May 25, 2011 3:03 am

klausesser wrote:
hankkarl wrote:I thought the Canon 15mm was a fisheye.

It IS a fisheye! And it´s the only Canon lens i have. Others are manual Nikon lenses adapted for the Canon. Like them better.
So i don´t own a "L" lens . . :cool:

KE

I keep on forgetting that the guy behind the camera is more important than the lens :)