Using Plugins with Gigapan Imports  

Share your tips and tricks here or get help with any Autopano Pro / Giga problem!
No bug reports (of any kind) in this forum!
Aeriscera

Topic author
Liked in: 0 post
Info

Using Plugins with Gigapan Imports

by Aeriscera » Thu Apr 07, 2011 1:12 pm

Hello Everyone,

It doesn't seem possible to use the plugins with gigapan imports. Am I missing something? The problems seem to be

1. Once you have selected your images for importing, there is no way to stop AP from stitching before you have had a chance to apply any plugins.
2. After the import and stitch you can apply plugins but AP doesn't preserve the set as an imported gigapan.
3. There is no way of telling AP to make an already loaded but non-imported set of image into an N x M, L-layer gigapan.

Otherwise the plugins look nice. I also like the new context-sensitive menu options for loaded sets of images.

A

AlexandreJ
Kolor Team

Liked in: 10 posts
Info

by AlexandreJ » Thu Apr 07, 2011 1:34 pm

The input plugin ( typically haze ) should be applied first. When using neutralhazer on a group, it will create another group with processed images.
You can then decide to go to gigapan plugin and select the processed images as they were created on the disk. This is the current way to chain both type of plugin.

Aeriscera

Topic author
Info

by Aeriscera » Thu Apr 07, 2011 1:50 pm

AlexandreJ wrote:The input plugin ( typically haze ) should be applied first. When using neutralhazer on a group, it will create another group with processed images.
You can then decide to go to gigapan plugin and select the processed images as they were created on the disk. This is the current way to chain both type of plugin.

The gigapan plugin? Sorry Alexandre is there some more new documentation? I did look at the Wiki but I coudn't see anything on the page for plugins and the Wiki isn't searchable afaik.

A

no avatar
mediavets

Liked in: 130 posts
Info

by mediavets » Thu Apr 07, 2011 1:57 pm

Aeriscera wrote:
AlexandreJ wrote:The input plugin ( typically haze ) should be applied first. When using neutralhazer on a group, it will create another group with processed images.

The gigapan plugin? Sorry Alexandre is there some more new documentation? I did look at the Wiki but I coudn't see anything on the page for plugins and the Wiki isn't searchable afaik.

A

The Gigapn Import wizard is conceptually a plug-in as far as APP/APG is concerned.
Andrew Stephens
Many different Nodal Ninja and Agnos pano heads. Merlin/Panogear mount with Papywizard on Nokia Internet tablets.
Nikon D5100 and D40, Sigma 8mm f3.5 FE, Nikon 10.5mm FE, 35mm, 50mm, 18-55mm, 70-210mm. Promote control.

AlexandreJ
Kolor Team

Liked in: 10 posts
Info

by AlexandreJ » Thu Apr 07, 2011 2:34 pm

In computer science, there are some way to do things and conceptually, gigapan was done also as a plugin. You can delete the KPanoHead.dll from autopano plugin folder and autopano will still continue to work ( but without gigapan feature ).

Aeriscera

Topic author
Info

by Aeriscera » Thu Apr 07, 2011 2:36 pm

mediavets wrote:The Gigapn Import wizard is conceptually a plug-in as far as APP/APG is concerned.

Ah, OK, but Alexandre implied that I could load my images into AP, then process them with plugins (haze and vignette are want I want and I can see how to do that) and then apply the gigapan plugin. The only way I know of doing the latter is to load the images from disk. Is there some way of importing a gigapan from the images that have already been loaded? Or am I missing something obvious?

A
Last edited by Aeriscera on Thu Apr 07, 2011 2:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Aeriscera

Topic author
Info

by Aeriscera » Thu Apr 07, 2011 2:45 pm

AlexandreJ wrote:In computer science, there are some way to do things and conceptually, gigapan was done also as a plugin. You can delete the KPanoHead.dll from autopano plugin folder and autopano will still continue to work ( but without gigapan feature ).

Is a plugin defined as something you find in the plugin folder then? If so then I suggest that is a very implementation-dependent definition. It also doesn't help me (and may I suggest other users) find out more about the gigapan plugin eg how to use it in combination with other plugins. Consider a new user discovering AP has 'plugins'. They find the manual page and read about the extra goodies you can apply to a set of images that have been loaded into AP. But there is no mention of the gigapan plugin. Where should they look for more information?

A

no avatar
mediavets

Info

by mediavets » Thu Apr 07, 2011 11:35 pm

Alexandre,

Unfortunately this methodology is just not practical as the system works currently.

Applying the Neutralhazer plug-in does indeed produce a new group of unhazed images but it creates those images in the same folder as the original images.

This makes it very difficult to select the dehazed images from the Gigapan Import wizard especially when you are dealing with many tens or hundreds of images.

To faciliate subsequent processing (such as selection from the Gigapan Import wizard) perhaps the dehazed image set should be written to a new sub-folder/directory of the folder/directory containing the original images?

Last edited by mediavets on Fri Apr 08, 2011 5:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
Andrew Stephens
Many different Nodal Ninja and Agnos pano heads. Merlin/Panogear mount with Papywizard on Nokia Internet tablets.
Nikon D5100 and D40, Sigma 8mm f3.5 FE, Nikon 10.5mm FE, 35mm, 50mm, 18-55mm, 70-210mm. Promote control.

Aeriscera

Topic author
Info

by Aeriscera » Thu Apr 07, 2011 11:41 pm

mediavets wrote:it creates those images in the same folder as the origibal images.

Ahhh! What I was missing is that it actually creates new images as files. I thought it created virtual new images. It never occurred to me to look on my disk.

mediavets wrote:Unfortunately this methodology is just not practical as the system works currently. ... This makes it very diffficult to select the dehazed images from the Gigapan Import wizard.

Not sure about that. Messy, sure, but if you're able to do a little scripting as I am then it could be made practical in a glue-and-string type of way.

Woot! New toys! Cheers.

A

Castillonis

Info

by Castillonis » Tue Apr 19, 2011 1:03 pm

1. If you are using OSX you can do a command line cd, mkdir dehazed, and mv of all of the _dehazed files to another directory. The command line tools provide you with an efficient way to do this versus using the gui.

2. If you are using Windows, you can download Cygwin and use the unix based shell commands to mkdir and mv the *_dehazed files to the new directory.
http://www.cygwin.com/

cd <directory>
mkdir dehazed
mv *_dehazed.tif ./dehazed
Last edited by Castillonis on Tue Apr 19, 2011 1:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

no avatar
mediavets

Info

by mediavets » Tue Apr 19, 2011 1:15 pm

Castillonis wrote:1. If you are using OSX you can do a command line cd, mkdir dehazed, and mv of all of the _dehazed files to another directory. The command line tools provide you with an efficient way to do this versus using the gui.

2. If you are using Windows, you can download Cygwin and use the unix based shell commands to mkdir and mv the *_dehazed files to the new directory.

cd <directory>
mkdir dehazed

But it would so much easier if the Haze filter wrote its output to a new folder.
Andrew Stephens

Aeriscera

Topic author
Info

by Aeriscera » Tue Apr 19, 2011 3:50 pm

Agreed.

klausesser

Liked in: 63 posts
Info

by klausesser » Tue Apr 19, 2011 8:48 pm

mediavets wrote:But it would so much easier if the Haze filter wrote its output to a new folder.

Because of the altered files are clearly named by dehazer it shouldn´t be a too big effort to drag them into a dedicated folder . . :cool:

best, Klaus
Simplicity is the keynote of all true elegance. Coco Chanel

no avatar
robocallaghan

Info

by robocallaghan » Tue Apr 19, 2011 9:05 pm

Castillonis wrote:1. If you are using OSX you can do a command line cd, mkdir dehazed, and mv of all of the _dehazed files to another directory. The command line tools provide you with an efficient way to do this versus using the gui.

cd <directory>
mkdir dehazed

No need to download cygwin just use dos from a cmd window (I'm a bit rusty on syntax but something like)

cd <directory>
mkdir dehazed
move *_dehazed.tif dehazed