Page 1 of 1

Shooting vertical column's vs Horizontal rows and stack the focus.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2011 3:17 am
by Mr Moose
I have APP 2.5
I'm planning my next pano and I had this idea. There's a classic building on a city street corner that's the main part of this pano, after that, there's about one city block that I want to include.
There will be 10 vertical rows with 5 shots per row, all 4 degrees apart. I'll start all the way to the left for the first row.
By doing this as a vertical column instead of horizontal rows, it would be quite easy to adjust the focus for every row, more or less stacking the focus so the whole city block is in perfect focus.
I'm also blending 3 exposures that will run through Photomatix pro first before stitching.
My question, will this work?

BTW, there won't be any distance info in the EXIF data as Photomatix will strip all of that away.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2011 10:29 pm
by GURL
Your questions are not easy to answer. I hope the following points will help...
- Autopano dont'care about the source images order: row after row, column after column and even no order at all are equivalent.
- Autopano don't use distance info from EXIF.
- Autopano uses the focal length found in EXIF. When, for some reason like Photomatix preprocessing, it can't get them, it uses 50 mm as default value. This can result in a very acceptable pano or, depending on the actual focal length, the used projection, the subject, etc, in a more or less distorted pano...

I would recommend to manually enter the focal length after the source images are read and before the Detect button is clicked using the Image properties, as described here: http://www.autopano.net/wiki-en/action/view/Autopano_Giga_2.5_-_Main_Window_-_Image_Properties.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2011 2:48 pm
by Mr Moose
I shot said pano the other night, and stacking the focus worked very well. Shooting vertical columns gave me a bit more flexibility over horizontal rows. I ended up with 70 images, 14 columns of 5 images each, but I ended up using only 52 of those.
APP v2.5 had problems with this and no matter what settings I tried, it just couldn't get it right.
I ran it though v2.09 using smartblend, got it right the first try.
Before I upgraded to Win7 64 and 8 GB of ram, v2.09 using smartblend almost always crashed. but not anymore, since the upgrade v2.09 hasn't crashed at all.