shooting sequence  

Share your tips and tricks here or get help with any Autopano Pro / Giga problem!
No bug reports (of any kind) in this forum!
billjones

Topic author
Liked in: 0 post
Info

shooting sequence

by billjones » Tue Mar 15, 2011 10:22 pm

When shooting a 300+ image pano, what is the preferred shooting order for giga to build the preview. row after row, top to bottom from left to right or column top to bottom - left to right, or the other two choice, or does it make a difference. I am using an epic pro can can shoot in any order desired.

AlexandreJ
Kolor Team

Liked in: 10 posts
Info

by AlexandreJ » Wed Mar 16, 2011 9:53 am

Autopano Giga doesn't really care. It's the subject that will impose the layout. If you have a lot of fast moving clouds, it would be best to first shoot them and then do the ground ( rows first from top to ground ).

billjones

Topic author
Info

by billjones » Wed Mar 16, 2011 4:35 pm

It does matter. I shot 300 images from upper right to bottom left, told autopano import there where 12 rows and 25 columns and it layed out the pano backwards and preview was little more then a gray brown screen. When not using the import function it did figure the pano out but couldn't handle the water (ocean) and left those areas black or empty.

As luck would have it, I found autopanos options and they support option 1,3 and 4. I shot using option 2. Live and learn.
Last edited by billjones on Wed Mar 16, 2011 4:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

AlexandreJ
Kolor Team

Liked in: 10 posts
Info

by AlexandreJ » Wed Mar 16, 2011 5:15 pm

The option 2 has been added in 2.5.1 RC 1 release.

no avatar
mediavets

Liked in: 130 posts
Info

by mediavets » Wed Mar 16, 2011 6:48 pm

billjones wrote:It does matter. I shot 300 images from upper right to bottom left, told autopano import there where 12 rows and 25 columns and it layed out the pano backwards and preview was little more then a gray brown screen. When not using the import function it did figure the pano out but couldn't handle the water (ocean) and left those areas black or empty.

http://rhmpano.com/gigaepic/order.jpg

As luck would have it, I found autopanos options and they support option 1,3 and 4. I shot using option 2. Live and learn.

As Alexandre says it's in APG 2.5 RC1:
http://www.autopano.net/forum/t11471-autopano-engine-v2.5.1-rc-1

Last edited by mediavets on Wed Mar 16, 2011 6:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Andrew Stephens
Many different Nodal Ninja and Agnos pano heads. Merlin/Panogear mount with Papywizard on Nokia Internet tablets.
Nikon D5100 and D40, Sigma 8mm f3.5 FE, Nikon 10.5mm FE, 35mm, 50mm, 18-55mm, 70-210mm. Promote control.

no avatar
hankkarl

Info

by hankkarl » Thu Mar 17, 2011 4:30 pm

One issue that made me shoot from left to right is that pattern tightens the head on the tripod, if you go the other way, you could loosen it.

And I go left to right, then up and down because my panohead has click stops in the yaw direction, where pitch is an infinity adjustable (ie non-repeatable) setting.

Shoot according to what's best for your panohead.

billjones

Topic author
Info

by billjones » Thu Mar 17, 2011 5:38 pm

I downloaded the trial and it's 2.5.0

no avatar
mediavets

Liked in: 130 posts
Info

by mediavets » Thu Mar 17, 2011 6:38 pm

billjones wrote:I downloaded the trial and it's 2.5.0

You'll find 2.51 RC1 here:
Autopano Giga - http://download.kolor.com/apg/beta/history

Autopano Pro - http://download.kolor.com/app/beta/history
Last edited by mediavets on Thu Mar 17, 2011 6:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Andrew Stephens
Many different Nodal Ninja and Agnos pano heads. Merlin/Panogear mount with Papywizard on Nokia Internet tablets.
Nikon D5100 and D40, Sigma 8mm f3.5 FE, Nikon 10.5mm FE, 35mm, 50mm, 18-55mm, 70-210mm. Promote control.

billjones

Topic author
Info

by billjones » Fri Mar 18, 2011 1:33 am

Thank you, we'll see what happens.

scobra

Info

by scobra » Tue Mar 22, 2011 7:30 am

Just a thought: option 3, left to right then down, is the only option which does not 'lift' the camera and lens. So it might draw less power, and be easier on your batteries.

klausesser

Liked in: 64 posts
Info

by klausesser » Tue Mar 22, 2011 1:47 pm

scobra wrote:. . is the only option which does not 'lift' the camera and lens.

You mean because of earth's gravitational pull and the motor´s power to compensate it when moving the camera up?
When the motor moves the camera down it takes the same amount of power - it as to stop the moving and the weight of camera/lens is the same . . . but of course: gravitation may help :cool:
MIGHT be a fraction of a fraction of mV is saved this way . .

Nice thought anyway . . :)

best, Klaus
Simplicity is the keynote of all true elegance. Coco Chanel

scobra

Info

by scobra » Wed Mar 23, 2011 12:44 am

I would have thought an electric motor uses more power 'under load' than one which has gravity helping it? I was thinking if you shoot a skyscraper for instance, with options 1 or 2, the camera and lens has to be lifted up every time a new column begins. In option 3, it only has to drop, even though this is a powered servo action, wouldn't it use less battery power? If it uses say 5% less, that 5% might mean the difference between finishing your shoot on the one set of batteries. Of course, with some moving objects, it is not ideal to shoot in rows, so options 3 and 4 would be less than optimal.

gkaefer

Liked in: 15 posts
Info

by gkaefer » Wed Mar 23, 2011 1:09 pm

:D matrix 1+2 using we could implement a hybrid motor to our merlins which gains energy back when stopping the movement....
Georg

klausesser

Info

by klausesser » Wed Mar 23, 2011 1:27 pm

scobra wrote:I would have thought an electric motor uses more power 'under load' than one which has gravity helping it? I was thinking if you shoot a skyscraper for instance, with options 1 or 2, the camera and lens has to be lifted up every time a new column begins. In option 3, it only has to drop, even though this is a powered servo action, wouldn't it use less battery power? If it uses say 5% less, that 5% might mean the difference between finishing your shoot on the one set of batteries. Of course, with some moving objects, it is not ideal to shoot in rows, so options 3 and 4 would be less than optimal.

Yes - it must have an influence of course. But how relevant it is . . . i doubt 5% difference - as i said before the motor have to stop movement downwards as well as to start movement upwards. So the difference between both amounts of power i guess must be minimal.
I´m sure somebody has measured that already!? :cool:

best, Klaus

klausesser

Info

by klausesser » Wed Mar 23, 2011 1:28 pm

gkaefer wrote::D matrix 1+2 using we could implement a hybrid motor to our merlins which gains energy back when stopping the movement....
Georg

Oh yeah! That´s "green thinking" - bravo! :P:cool:

best, Klaus