help with column/row option  

Share your tips and tricks here or get help with any Autopano Pro / Giga problem!
No bug reports (of any kind) in this forum!
no avatar
hbschwartz

Topic author
Liked in: 0 post
Info

help with column/row option

by hbschwartz » Sat Mar 05, 2011 4:31 pm

if i take a pano at -15 degrees, 0 degrees, +15 degrees, and i check the assume column/row shooting, my panoramas have a rms of greater than 5, and get the message "there is something wrong with this panorama". what am i doing incorrectly?

no avatar
mediavets

Liked in: 130 posts
Info

by mediavets » Sat Mar 05, 2011 4:47 pm

What camera and lens are you using?

Do you use a proper pano head? If so which brand and model?

Are you shootinga full 360 degree horizontal field of view?

How many images are you shooting in each row?
Andrew Stephens
Many different Nodal Ninja and Agnos pano heads. Merlin/Panogear mount with Papywizard on Nokia Internet tablets.
Nikon D5100 and D40, Sigma 8mm f3.5 FE, Nikon 10.5mm FE, 35mm, 50mm, 18-55mm, 70-210mm. Promote control.

klausesser

Liked in: 64 posts
Info

by klausesser » Sat Mar 05, 2011 4:52 pm

hbschwartz wrote:if i take a pano at -15 degrees, 0 degrees, +15 degrees, and i check the assume column/row shooting, my panoramas have a rms of greater than 5, and get the message "there is something wrong with this panorama". what am i doing incorrectly?

uncheck "assume col . .". I never realized what it might to be used for. The message is very "informative" indeed . . . :lol::cool:

best, Klaus
Simplicity is the keynote of all true elegance. Coco Chanel

no avatar
hbschwartz

Topic author
Info

by hbschwartz » Sat Mar 05, 2011 6:13 pm

i am using a really right stuff pano head, and i am using a 50mm f4 zeiss lens on a canon 5d mark II. the entrance pupil is correct. the number of images is about six in every row. if i uncheck "assume column...", it works fine.

no avatar
GURL

Info

by GURL » Mon Mar 07, 2011 10:38 am

klausesser wrote:uncheck "assume col . .". I never realized what it might to be used for. The message is very "informative" indeed . . . :lol::cool:

French documentation wrote:Prise de vue colonne/ligne : Activée pour les panoramas venant d'une tête Gigapan. Ce mode nécessite une grande précision dans la prise de vue matricielle.

Translation attempt wrote:Assume row/column shooting: activated for panoramas shot using a Gigapan head. This mode requires a high precision level for the row/column matrix.

I wonder why a reference to Gigapan is made in the documentation but not in the option label. If the French documentation is correct then the label option should be changed to Gigapan.

Wether this option must be manually selected by user for Gigapan is not specified in (French) http://www.autopano.net/wiki-fr/action/view/Autopano_Giga_2.5_-_Importer..._-_Gigapan
Georges

no avatar
Destiny

Liked in: 228 posts
Info

by Destiny » Mon Mar 07, 2011 11:41 am

Hey there.. your equipment excites me.... I have never heard of the Really Right Stuff pano head.. that looks really nice, I just checked their web site out.. Strong and well made.. How do you find it??

Also... Why use the 50mm f4 zeiss lens.. Is there a particular reason regarding pano photography... Or.. are you rich.... I have just checked out the prince of this lens.. OH MAN!!!...

I am poor so my husband bought me a Nikon D90.. I really love this camera but I am saving up of the Nikon 3DX so I get full frame images... with a wish list of two lenses.. The Nikon AF-S Zoom Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED AF lens which I would kill for and the Nikon Fisheye AF Nikkor 16mm f/2.8D Autofocus Lens...

Currently I am using a Nikon 10.5mm f/2.8G ED DX Fisheye Lens which I really love.. the quality of the images is amazing... I guess with my equipment the Ninja MKII is ok.. I should be getting that back soon.. I always said there was something wrong with it and I was right.. they fixed it for me... Something was missing... i was looking at buying the new Ninja pano head but after seeing this RRS PH.... it make me think especially since I am not impressed with the overall quality of the NNP MKII.. emm... I need to win the lotto....:lol:

D

hbschwartz wrote:i am using a really right stuff pano head, and i am using a 50mm f4 zeiss lens on a canon 5d mark II. the entrance pupil is correct. the number of images is about six in every row. if i uncheck "assume column...", it works fine.
Last edited by Destiny on Mon Mar 07, 2011 11:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

no avatar
hbschwartz

Topic author
Info

by hbschwartz » Mon Mar 07, 2011 8:13 pm

i use the really right stuff pano head with the rotator made from nodal ninja. works great. the indents are terrific? check it out. it costs about $200 USD, but it is really worth the time not to have to think about overlap.

no avatar
Destiny

Info

by Destiny » Mon Mar 07, 2011 10:08 pm

Ya, I am really happy with my Nodal Ninja Rotor too... I have the Rotator R-D16, its really nice, it works very well and feels like a nice piece of engineering.. Its the Nodal Ninja 3 mkII that I am not impressed with... It's as if it's made by two very different companies.. The increments are not accurate, and where the top fits to the up rail, when I release it, it sticks due to not having some kind of washer so when I change my angle I have to yank it a bit to release it... The whole on the bottom rail that connects to the Rotor, well.. that really yuck.. its treaded but it has no purpose.. the tapered screw provided sits on the outer edge of this whole... iPanoramic, where I bought it all from, has been really great in helping... my husband.. fix it up for me... he sent me out a screw insert that sits up into that whole, great the locating screw then fitted nicely.... only problem was, the head of that insert did not fit into the back plastic plats that sits on top of the Rotor..so it was useless... I am sure the slackness of it all affected the NPP since there was no guarantee if it was sitting in the same location each time and since the NPP can be affected by .5mm, I am sure that was the problem... Anyway, it should be arriving back to me today or at least early this week.. I can then see if iPanoramic fixed the issue... I am sure he has.. he told my husband in an email that he put a better screw in it.. Although this Nodal Ninja pano arm set is cheaper than their new version, it was still not cheap-cheap!.. but it sure feels and acts like it is... !! Therefore I would not recommend anyone buying the MKII.. I would say go for their new model but at that higher price you now have so many other options...

D
Last edited by Destiny on Mon Mar 07, 2011 10:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

no avatar
hbschwartz

Topic author
Info

by hbschwartz » Mon Mar 07, 2011 10:11 pm

nodal ninja has started shipping this week the new panohead. having said that, i believe the really right stuff is better engineered and is of definitely excellent quality. let me know if you would like to have a picture of my pano setup.

no avatar
Destiny

Info

by Destiny » Mon Mar 07, 2011 10:16 pm

I think I will look into the really right stuff more.... I love nice engineering... Thank you...
I will look forward in hearing what people who buy this new nodal ninja, on how they get on with it...

D

no avatar
mediavets

Liked in: 130 posts
Info

by mediavets » Mon Mar 07, 2011 11:17 pm

Destiny wrote:Therefore I would not recommend anyone buying the MKII.. I would say go for their new model but at that higher price you now have so many other options...

D

Your experience is atypical. It sounds as if the reseller sold you a duff one - did they assemble it from bits they had lying around or something?
Last edited by mediavets on Mon Mar 07, 2011 11:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Andrew Stephens
Many different Nodal Ninja and Agnos pano heads. Merlin/Panogear mount with Papywizard on Nokia Internet tablets.
Nikon D5100 and D40, Sigma 8mm f3.5 FE, Nikon 10.5mm FE, 35mm, 50mm, 18-55mm, 70-210mm. Promote control.

no avatar
Destiny

Info

by Destiny » Tue Mar 08, 2011 4:22 am

Well Andrew, thats exactly what my dad said.. he is an engineer and said... 'Looks like this thing has been put together in a hurry without much thought.. He kept asking me what else was in the pack.. But that that was it.. he played around with it and said somthing must be missing.. I did get a bag of little tiny washers and things.. god knows what they are for... Perhaps the Roter since I bought that at the same time... I also recieved a couple of white lugs to replace the ones on the bar if needed.... I will be getting it back soon, I hope.... I really hope its better than it was... I can only assess on what I have....

D
Last edited by Destiny on Tue Mar 08, 2011 4:26 am, edited 1 time in total.