New guy with file saving question  

Share your tips and tricks here or get help with any Autopano Pro / Giga problem!
No bug reports (of any kind) in this forum!
no avatar
lair

Topic author
Liked in: 0 post
Info

New guy with file saving question

by lair » Sun Feb 13, 2011 2:09 am

Autopano Giga 2.5 on Mac OS10.5.8.

Just got this software the other day and I can't seem to wrap my head around how files are saved in this application...

When I save and reopen a .pano file, is the source images column supposed to be empty? It seems like the Group 1 (or whatever number) image box with my source images in it should be there so I can continue working on the project and refer to them if I need to make a change. I can reload them, but if I have 150 panos, do I really have to reload 150 projects worth of source images every time I launch the app?

One of the screen shots on the Autopano Giga product website shows a "detected" pano in the right column with a pano name and group number in the bar above and the corresponding source images in the left column with the group number and "1 panorama found" next to that.

My results are the same as above in the right column, but the left column will have the group number and "Detection in progress" - even after the process is long over. It has never said "1 panorama found". And, like I said above, there is no reference to the source images saved in my .pano file.

Something doesn't seem right to me. Maybe it's user error, but I'd like to think I'm not quite that thick yet!

no avatar
hankkarl

Info

by hankkarl » Sun Feb 13, 2011 3:35 am

Its normal for the left hand column to be empty when you reopen a pano.

My version of APG also shows the Detection in Progress in the left hand column--good catch, I hadn't noticed it. Doesn't seem to hurt anything, so I suggest you submit a bug report and don't worry about it too much.

no avatar
lair

Topic author
Info

by lair » Sun Feb 13, 2011 4:39 am

hankkarl wrote:Its normal for the left hand column to be empty when you reopen a pano.

My version of APG also shows the Detection in Progress in the left hand column--good catch, I hadn't noticed it. Doesn't seem to hurt anything, so I suggest you submit a bug report and don't worry about it too much.

I shall submit the report...

In the meantime, I discovered the "save workspace" command. This seems to do what I would expect the "save project" command to do - that is it restores the application to the state it was in when I closed it. So, it looks like as long as the project is saved AND you save the workspace, it does what I expect. Like I said, I've had it for 3 days.

Here's hoping the manual gets updated. Hint, hint...

no avatar
lair

Topic author
Info

by lair » Sun Feb 13, 2011 4:40 am

And most importantly - thanks for the reply, hankkarl!!!

no avatar
mediavets

Liked in: 130 posts
Info

by mediavets » Sun Feb 13, 2011 11:06 am

lair wrote:And, like I said above, there is no reference to the source images saved in my .pano file.

Of course there is:

Andrew Stephens
Many different Nodal Ninja and Agnos pano heads. Merlin/Panogear mount with Papywizard on Nokia Internet tablets.
Nikon D5100 and D40, Sigma 8mm f3.5 FE, Nikon 10.5mm FE, 35mm, 50mm, 18-55mm, 70-210mm. Promote control.

no avatar
mediavets

Info

by mediavets » Sun Feb 13, 2011 11:10 am

lair wrote:Here's hoping the manual gets updated. Hint, hint...

There is draft version of the manual for version 2.5 in French:
http://www.autopano.net/wiki-fr/action/view/Documentation_Autopano_Giga_2.5
Andrew Stephens
Many different Nodal Ninja and Agnos pano heads. Merlin/Panogear mount with Papywizard on Nokia Internet tablets.
Nikon D5100 and D40, Sigma 8mm f3.5 FE, Nikon 10.5mm FE, 35mm, 50mm, 18-55mm, 70-210mm. Promote control.

no avatar
lair

Topic author
Info

by lair » Sun Feb 13, 2011 10:23 pm

mediavets wrote:
lair wrote:And, like I said above, there is no reference to the source images saved in my .pano file.

Of course there is:

I was referring to the left column of the app upon opening a saved project, not the app in general. Sorry if that wasn't clear.

no avatar
mediavets

Info

by mediavets » Sun Feb 13, 2011 10:51 pm

lair wrote:It seems like the Group 1 (or whatever number) image box with my source images in it should be there so I can continue working on the project and refer to them if I need to make a change.

Can you describe a scenario so I can understand what it is you might wish to do and why?
Andrew Stephens

no avatar
lair

Topic author
Info

by lair » Sun Feb 13, 2011 11:15 pm

mediavets wrote:
lair wrote:It seems like the Group 1 (or whatever number) image box with my source images in it should be there so I can continue working on the project and refer to them if I need to make a change.

Can you describe a scenario so I can understand what it is you might wish to do and why?

I think I figured it out by using the "Save Workspace" function but here's the scenario...

I load my source images and detect but something doesn't look right in the results in the right hand column. So, I save the project and close the app to do some editing of the source images or research or whatever. It could be days later when I double-click on the .pano project to launch only to find that I have to reload the source images to get the application back to the way it looked when I closed it. Not a big deal with one pano, but if it's 15, that's another story.

I am getting used to the interface so I think I've gotten it down now. It just took me by surprise to open a .pano file and not see the source images in the left column anymore - a process that the "Save Workspace" function accomplishes.

My process is as follows. Load images - save workspace, detect - save project(s).

I guess the train of thought is that once you detect and get an editable pano in the right column then the source images are no longer needed - for that pano? Any changes to them would mean they'd need to be reloaded anyways?

no avatar
mediavets

Info

by mediavets » Sun Feb 13, 2011 11:54 pm

lair wrote:I guess the train of thought is that once you detect and get an editable pano in the right column then the source images are no longer needed - for that pano? Any changes to them would mean they'd need to be reloaded anyways?

Yes, I think that's how the developers envisaged it.

Have you also explored the Extended Save As... option for saving .pano files along with the associated pano image set?

Last edited by mediavets on Sun Feb 13, 2011 11:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Andrew Stephens

no avatar
lair

Topic author
Info

by lair » Mon Feb 14, 2011 12:13 am

mediavets wrote:
lair wrote:I guess the train of thought is that once you detect and get an editable pano in the right column then the source images are no longer needed - for that pano? Any changes to them would mean they'd need to be reloaded anyways?

Yes, I think that's how the developers envisaged it.

Have you also explored the Extended Save As... option for saving .pano files along with the associated pano image set?

I looked at it briefly but based on the settings it seemed suited for creating an archive but it looks like it might fit the bill.

Maybe I owe you two now!