Better smartblend results  

Share your tips and tricks here or get help with any Autopano Pro / Giga problem!
No bug reports (of any kind) in this forum!
no avatar
knmiller@me.com

Topic author
Liked in: 0 post
Info

Better smartblend results

by knmiller@me.com » Wed Jan 05, 2011 9:54 pm

Hi

I am stitching identically exposed images in Autopano and using smartblend but the resulting files have some poor stiched areas seen as lighter and darker patches. I have attached an example below, problem area is bottom left. Does anyone know why this is happening and what I might be able to do to correct this effect.

Thanks in advance.

Kind regards

Kevin

AlexandreJ
Kolor Team

Liked in: 10 posts
Info

by AlexandreJ » Thu Jan 06, 2011 9:09 am

Did you use color correction in autopano ?
Did you make a pre-processing on image before using them in Autopano ?

no avatar
knmiller@me.com

Topic author
Info

by knmiller@me.com » Thu Jan 06, 2011 10:02 pm

Hi Alexandre

I removed the check for Auto Colour correction but to be honest, I have been having the problem with or without this option and on many different files, the above image is just one example.

I fused the bracketed images in photomatix using the same settings, the bracketed sets were also identically shot.

Am I correct to assume that if the blend from Autopano is not perfect then I should tweak this in photoshop using embedd layer masks option.

thanks

Kevin

no avatar
MJSfoto1956

Info

by MJSfoto1956 » Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:39 pm

The image on the far left looks like it has a different exposure (and thus a different gamma) than the other images. Are you 100% sure that the image brackets were taken in manual mode with no "auto ISO" setting? (recall that auto ISO will change the "exposure")

no avatar
mediavets

Liked in: 130 posts
Info

by mediavets » Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:44 pm

knmiller@me.com wrote:I fused the bracketed images in photomatix using the same settings, the bracketed sets were also identically shot.

thanks

Kevin

Did this scene require bracketed exposures?
Andrew Stephens
Many different Nodal Ninja and Agnos pano heads. Merlin/Panogear mount with Papywizard on Nokia Internet tablets.
Nikon D5100 and D40, Sigma 8mm f3.5 FE, Nikon 10.5mm FE, 35mm, 50mm, 18-55mm, 70-210mm. Promote control.

bzh360

Info

by bzh360 » Fri Jan 07, 2011 8:44 am

Hi.

With the last 2 release of beta

I'm facing exactly the same issues with color correction in the following cases for a same batch of bkt pictures (5 level):
-bkted pictures managed by apg with raw - exposure fusion
-bkted pictures managed by apg with jpg pre proceced in PS-cs5 with the same tunning option for each level of Bkt
-bkted pictures managed by apg with fused exposure in photomatix.

I'm also turning mad ^^
Last edited by bzh360 on Fri Jan 07, 2011 8:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
Toegha Prod. - Createur d'Images Elargies et Rotatives.
http://corryvreckan.fr/test/index.html - Follow us on Facebook

no avatar
knmiller@me.com

Topic author
Info

by knmiller@me.com » Fri Jan 07, 2011 1:24 pm

Hi

To answer MJSfoto1956, all image sets were identical in ISO, shutter, aperture etc, i.e. they were shot manually (I never shoot any other way)
To answer mediavets, yes the image does require bracketed images as the shadows were too deep, I was shooting into the light in this scene.

I have done my reading on the various blending options and have experimented with Multiband and Smartblend (including Smartblend settings: minimal pyrimidal and transition smooth) and the result has mostly the same. Therefore, my questions now come down to:-

1) if there is something else that I should be considering to get a better result in Autopano
2) If Autopano can't give the required result, what else can be done outside the application either before or after stitching in Autopano.

Thanks to everyone for their input so far, I feel I am getting closer to the root.

Regards

Kevin

Aeriscera

Info

by Aeriscera » Fri Jan 07, 2011 2:14 pm

knmiller@me.com wrote:I fused the bracketed images in photomatix using the same settings

Are you saying that you fused the bracketed images before stitching? I don't know about fusion, but tone-mapping before stitching is not the right way to do things - you must stitch each bracket and then tone-map the stitched images.

A

UK Pano

Info

by UK Pano » Fri Jan 07, 2011 2:45 pm

Can you make the source images available for others to experiment with?
Canon 400D / Canon 24-105mm L / Sigma 8mm f3.5 FE / Sigma 10-20mm / Sigma 70-300mm / NN3 & R1 / PS CS2 / LR3 / Enfuse

klausesser

Liked in: 64 posts
Info

by klausesser » Fri Jan 07, 2011 3:09 pm

Aeriscera wrote:
knmiller@me.com wrote:I fused the bracketed images in photomatix using the same settings

Are you saying that you fused the bracketed images before stitching? I don't know about fusion, but tone-mapping before stitching is not the right way to do things - you must stitch each bracket and then tone-map the stitched images.

A

Processing to HDR and tonemapping BEFORE stitching in my eyes definitely is preferable.

But the latest version of APG seems to have a better handling of HDR - i tried it just a bit, because i always do HDR before i stitch.
Using bracketed sets and make them HDR inside APG seems to be kind of "dark sience" . . . :cool:

best, Klaus
Simplicity is the keynote of all true elegance. Coco Chanel