32-bit EXR use in AP Giga  

Share your tips and tricks here or get help with any Autopano Pro / Giga problem!
No bug reports (of any kind) in this forum!
no avatar
allenh

Topic author
Liked in: 0 post
Info

32-bit EXR use in AP Giga

by allenh » Wed Aug 31, 2016 9:54 pm

Hi.

I just purchased APGiga; I'm trying to stitch together some 32-bit floating-point EXR images (what Kolor calls "HDR" images). However, the display of these images in APGiga is pretty poor:

Screen Shot 2016-08-31 at 1.49.01 PM.png

You can see the files as imported (on the left) look as expected, but the panorama previews are poorly-displayed and hard to work with.

Is this a known bug?

olivierbo
Kolor Team

Liked in: 104 posts
Info

Re: 32-bit EXR use in AP Giga

by olivierbo » Thu Sep 01, 2016 3:10 pm

Hello,

What happen if you edit the panorama and click the preview icon? Can you try to disable Fast editor as well?

Kind regards,
Olivier

no avatar
lricho

Info

by lricho » Tue Dec 13, 2016 7:57 am

I have similar issues especially when I turn on the preview. I can set levels fine with preview turned off and I can see things fine as long as the color mode is set to None. Setting to auto makes the colours horrible and unworkable.

When preview is turned on it seems that the levels settings are ignored and everything stays really dark and unusable.

Is there a way to stitch with "offline" or proxy JPG images and then replace those with the exr files at render? I havent found any way in the program to swap images.

olivierbo
Kolor Team

Info

by olivierbo » Fri Dec 16, 2016 12:42 pm

Hello,

By clicking the preview icon Autopano compute a default color correction and blending. All you have to do is to set the color correction to NONE and render the pano like that (you can also set the blending to NONE).

Best,
Olivier

no avatar
lricho

Info

by lricho » Sun Dec 18, 2016 2:15 am

Hi Oliver,
Sorry, but it is when color correction is set to NONE that preview is going really dark, is unusable and the levels correction doesn't have any effect.

olivierbo
Kolor Team

Info

by olivierbo » Thu Dec 22, 2016 11:22 am

Hello,

Can you share or send me your pictures?
That being said, most of the users who make HDR panoramas use a third-party software like Photomatix.

Best,
Olivier

no avatar
lricho

Info

by lricho » Fri Dec 23, 2016 5:17 am

Yep, happy to send you the images and the pano file. I merged them with photoshop rather than photomatix which i've also tried. I preferred photoshop's results to photomatix's. I'll have to send them next week though as i'm currently on holidays and away from the computer at work with the files.

Is there any way possible for future releases to be able to use JPGs as proxies and link to the exr files later? Similar to how video editing is done with proxies, offline/online files. Doing the stitching and manipulation with jpg files seems to be far faster than with exr files.

(as an aside, i've tried stitching then merging to hdr, but i was getting huge amounts more ghosting than when doing merging then stitching. Also, I found dealing with multiple stacks of raw images in autopano giga was hellishly slow, so the merge-then-stitch method is also my preferred from a performance perspective)

Destiny

Liked in: 213 posts
Info

by Destiny » Fri Dec 23, 2016 6:12 am

Hi...

In all honestly, to save you a heap of issues.. Export your images from Camera RAW as TIFs.. Then try again.. APG is not a great option to view RAW.. APG strengths are in Stitching, Anti Ghosting and Blending etc.......

... and as Olivier said.. It will be heap better to use Photomatix for HDR.. or Tonemapping.. Save you a tone of time and frustration..

Destiny....

no avatar
lricho

Info

by lricho » Fri Dec 23, 2016 7:55 am

Thanks Destiny, but I should have said instead that I dont ever work on the straight RAW in APG. For any raw workflow in APG I already do a preprocess in lightroom and export to 16bit tiff. I'm not trying to import the straight RAW. My apologies for confusing terminologies up.

I'm also not using APG to do any tonemapping or HDR merging. I know that they are not its strengths. My frustrations are in the way it displays EXR files when trying to work with them while stitching.

Destiny

Info

by Destiny » Fri Dec 23, 2016 8:00 am

I see. In that case after you have stacked your images > detection > go to Edit > Fusion > then tick the HDR.. You will see your images in preview.. Adjust accordingly...

Destiny...

Destiny

Info

by Destiny » Fri Dec 23, 2016 8:17 am

Arrr, now I get what you are doing.. I have never done that.. Interesting to see the results. So, how did you capture EXR images. So your images are HDR, I guess 32bit TIFs..

Destiny..

Destiny

Info

by Destiny » Fri Dec 23, 2016 8:27 am

I have just added an EXR image into APG created from a stack of 5 images... It looks OK.. But really do not know much about EXR images.. Never worked with them, except to use as environments for 3D rendering.. Your source images might not have been captured right, which might be the issue.. I do not have a camera that can capture EXR images..

Destiny...
Attachments
EXR-1.jpg
EXR-1.jpg (28.78 KiB) Viewed 1317 times

no avatar
lricho

Info

by lricho » Fri Dec 23, 2016 8:36 am

I'm shooting multiple exposures as RAW (2ev difference each exposure, usually 7 exposures each), merging those to 32bit EXR with photoshop (i've tested both photoshop and photomatix, but photoshop seems to handle the highlights and ghosting better), and then doing the stitching. My output from APG is still 32bit EXR as I need to use these images for lighting and reflections in 3D rendering.

It may very well be there is a setting in my EXRs that is not what APG is expecting, but when I open them in photoshop they open with the correct exposure.

Also, my issues only really are issues when I push the preview button. When not i preview I can do a workaround by setting levels... but in Preview, everything goes dark and adjusting the levels does nothing. I'm using preview to see where my masking is occurring and make sure the stitch is aligned properl, but with everything dark I cant actually see what's masked and what isnt.

Destiny

Info

by Destiny » Fri Dec 23, 2016 9:30 am

That all sounds great.. I fully understand your need for the use of EXR, for the 3D Rendering.. I have a few AutoDesk application where I use the EXR for environment rendering.. This post is very exciting and I look forward to seeing some results. I would love to test out one of your EXR images on something like simple spheres....

Destiny..

no avatar
lricho

Info

by lricho » Thu Sep 14, 2017 10:06 am

Hi Olivier,
I've just realised I never sent you the EXR files i promised for testing. What's the best way to send you a link with the files? I'd prefer not to post a public link, but I couldn't figure out how to PM you on the forum.

olivierbo
Kolor Team

Info

by olivierbo » Thu Sep 14, 2017 10:27 am

Hello,

Is it normal that your pictures are so dark? Also, what is the focal lenght as there is no EXIF?

Best,
Olivier

no avatar
lricho

Info

by lricho » Thu Sep 14, 2017 10:39 am

If i remember correctly, this is the exposure that Photoshop set the image to after merging. I'm a little wary of just upping the exposure in PS and saving out, even though I know technically there's not supposed to be loss of information due to it being 32bit. I cant remember now if I did try and bring the exposure up or not, as its been ages since I did this test. I'll go and have a mess around again with them tonight to see if doing that is going to help.

Focal length is 12mm, on full frame sensor.

edit: 12mm fisheye, sorry. That might help.

olivierbo
Kolor Team

Info

by olivierbo » Thu Sep 14, 2017 11:02 am

OK, but it is difficult or impossible to stitch pictures without details as it is too dark. Autopano cannot find enough control points to stitch it properly. Can you change exposure/brightness?

Best,
Olivier

no avatar
lricho

Info

by lricho » Thu Sep 14, 2017 11:11 am

using these images I was able to get a stitch with a global RMS of 3.49. APG didnt seem to have any problem stitching them when I originally did it.

Out of curiosity, have you opened the exr's up in photoshop to see what level of exposure they have by default?

My quick tests again now with my original stitch... yes, my exposure is dark-ish when opened in photoshop, but when I do a preview in APG it is quite a number of stops darker than the default exposure of the exr's. I can still see details in photoshop, but i cant see anything but the sun when previewing in APG.

more tests to come yet, but this was just a refresher of where i was at when the discussion was originally going. I'll test with changing the exposure later tonight (my time) after I get home from work.