APP 2.0.4 win32 : Still memory crashes....  

This forum is dedicated to Autopano Pro / Giga bug reports and features discussion.
Please read the posting rules before starting a topic!
no avatar
kalain

Topic author
Liked in: 0 post
Info

APP 2.0.4 win32 : Still memory crashes....

by kalain » Thu Sep 24, 2009 10:10 am

Hi,

Win XP Pro SP3.

The software is nice, buttons are greats, windows are wonderfull but memory crashes are still there. :mad:

Well, I succeed to stich only one pano (186 images) with home made automatic motorised head. (perfect rows and columns distribution). Stitch took around 21 hours.
I was quite happy to achieved such panos for first time with APP.

I tried with a second panos with 286 images took manually with motorised head. (rows ans columns distribution is not perfect)
I tried with settings of first pano but quickly an error memory message appeared.
So I tried on another computer (laptop) but same error memory messages.
So I tried on a third computer (laptop with 2 CPU) but same error messages.

Well, finally I have to give up with APP. :( and keep using other software. :/

Der_JP

Info

by Der_JP » Fri Oct 09, 2009 7:24 am

As that is my first Post:

A Big Hallo to everybody!

Meanwhile I experienced also crashes in combination of HDR-correction and smartblend while stitching panos with more than 300 pictures (With AutoPanoGiga). I could avoid that crashes by either don´t use smartblend. (some tiime don´t using the HDR correction hepled also, but I don´t get any clue out of it...)

On the other Hand you wrote that a stitch with only 186 pics would take you 21 houres..
Please don't get me wrong, but are you trying to use APP on a Pentium I 100 Hz ? ;-)
A Stich of arround 200 pics (at 8Mpixel each) takes me arround 2-3 hours - including the finding of control-points. (but excluding manual corrections) (notebook, dual core 2,53 ghz, 4gig ram and vista 32bit)
Maybe you are experiencing another issue? What kind of setting have you bin using for the stich?
Last edited by Der_JP on Fri Oct 09, 2009 7:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

[bo]

Info

by [bo] » Fri Oct 09, 2009 9:20 am

Just a note - HDR tonemapping is not present in versions 2.0x.
http://www.autopano.net/forum/p51411-2009-09-15-10-14-13#p51411

The long (21 HOURS!!!) stitch is probably due to Smartblend. The actual stitching is much likely done in a few hours, but it's the blending that takes a long time. Do not use Smartblend and you should be fine. Or at least run a Multiband test first to see if the pano renders OK and then try to use Smartblend.

I think Smartblend is just not suited for gigapans and other big/huge projects - it was incorporated long ago before this whole GIGA mania and is long due for replacement. It uses awkward logic for blending the images, requires huge amounts of disk space and due to the nature of the process is very HDD heavy, resulting in very long blending times...

Although I've had no problems with it, since my biggest projects are rarely more than 20 images :) If I have to wait more than 30 minutes for a stitch, I'll be upgrading my hardware :D
Some of my panoramas, posted in the Autopano Pro flickr group.

no avatar
hankkarl

Info

by hankkarl » Fri Oct 09, 2009 11:36 pm

'[bo wrote:']If I have to wait more than 30 minutes for a stitch, I'll be upgrading my hardware :D

Well, there's only so fast you can go, and the price performance curve is exponential.

BTW does any blender use more than one core?

AlexandreJ
Kolor Team

Liked in: 10 posts
Info

by AlexandreJ » Mon Oct 12, 2009 8:20 am

hankkarl wrote:BTW does any blender use more than one core?

Multiband is N-core aware not smartblend of course.

Aeriscera

Info

by Aeriscera » Mon Oct 12, 2009 10:10 pm

'[bo wrote:']I think Smartblend is just not suited for gigapans and other big/huge projects

Don't you think Kolor's advertising ought to be changed then? It makes a point of saying that APP/G can be used to create gigapixel images and that you can use Smartblend. A similar remark can be made about HDR tone-maping mutato nomine.

Aeris