Both have the CPU option set to 4 for my quad core. APP1 works very smoothly and I can still use the PC without any problem. But APP2 x64 seems to have problems with resource management, even when I set CPU to 2 instead of 4! Even as I type these lines, I get interruptions every several seconds, while CPU load is low (but disk usage is normal-to-high). APP1 never does that.
In fact, we didn't change at all this part except that we authorized more core / thread. The rendering has to be changed. Even old version doesn't handled well really big panorama and so does the new version too. Our system works better if you have a lot of cache ( on a 64bits version with 1 giga cache ), the rendering is really good. It doesn't behave really well on lower configuration. For smartblend, it's totally another story. We have to change everything behind this system ( smartblend 2 project ).
The interuptions occur during rendering. My system is Q9550 with fast disks, Win XP x64 and 4GB RAM, and always use Smartblend both in APP1 and 2. I even re-did the same panoramas and noticed this big difference in behaviour.
Behaviour of the system when APP2 is rendering is really annoying; I was used to the totally smooth opeartion of APP1 Now I'm doing again some with a CPU setting of 2, and observing.
If you're using Smartblend, RAM and CPU *do not* come into play as much as HDD. I'm Smartblending all the time since Smartblend got into APP and there's no difference in behaviour. And that's logical, as APP is first rendering the intermediate files and then it hand them to Smartblend, which does its thing and during that time the CPU usually stays as low as 10%.
However that's just the way Smartblend works currently and I don't see this as "interruptions". I mean it's nothing unusual. And I don't thing this behavior changed from 1.x to 2.x.
I can guarantee you if you get some SSD drive or make a RAID or pour $2K into a OCZ's Z Drive - you'll see improvement, but the HDD speed still will be the bottleneck.
I understand all this, and that's why I tried again the same files on the same machine, with the same hard and soft configuration.
APP1 with smartblend does heavy HD usage too, as we know. Still the effect of rendering on Windows and other running programs is quite different as I described. I wouldn't know if it's a "x64 thing" or not... I am puzzled now with these responses!