Image-stitching and virtual tour solutions My account Updates
It is currently Thu Oct 23, 2014 6:21 am

All times are UTC + 1 hour

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2009 7:22 am 

Have sent a whole succession of bug-splats from a 3x9 stitch (x77MB TIFFs). Have got it to render once in the last 3 days. With dozens of fails. Thought it might be render memory allocation or perhaps core app memory allocation; can't find a reliable correlation. Also thought it might be problems with "dirty" memory or disk cache. Cleared the latter and rebooted several times to see if there was "better" behaviour from a clean boot / cache. No clear win. Sometimes fails almost immediately, sometimes after render phase (before smartblend) and sometime late in smartblend. I have LOTS of disk space so that's not the problem.

Weirdly, there does *seem* to be a correlation between having a small render preview and getting further / finished with the render. This may be circumstantial bollox. It also *seems* that when I render this image set from a saved .pano file, it fails quickly. When I go into the editor and invoke the render from there, it gets further (and as I sit here typing / watching the performance monitor, the latest attempt in this direction is still rendering 9 minutes in... aka "so far so good")

I've not had this sort of difficulty with the previous betas; but recognise it just may be the image set or some other quirk specific to this pano. I do hope the bug splats give you something more useful to go on; I'm just finding it frustrating have had little trouble of this kind to date. sigh

As ever; love the product Alexandre - and I know you'll get it "bullet proof" eventually

---> post edit: the render referred to above failed at 23 minutes in, about a minute after the beginning of the smartblend phase. I have now attached a screen grab of the performance monitor which shows CPU/Memory/Disk I/O up to the time of the failure. Render phase did complete and this was a render launched directly from the editor - which seems to have more success... I will try a stupider blend option and see what happens. I did get ONE full render + smartblend of this data set yesterday, so I know it's not impossible!

cheers

(p.s. it would be lovely to have the ability to assign shortcut keys to some actions. In the control point editor, having to click an icon every time I want to add some control points is a serious pain in the butt...)

Last edited by rodlaird on Wed May 06, 2009 7:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2009 3:13 pm 
Administrator

Hi,
We are doing heavy testing of smartblend currently and we achieve sometimes to make it crash but not always.
Since one week, we use all laptops here to render only gigapixels panorama with a debug version to find that odd issue in smartblend. For the moment no luck, but it's one of our main priority.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2009 11:07 pm 

Thanks Alexandre; I wait with bated breath for the resolution!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2009 6:33 am 

I have the same problem. Crash in the end of smartblend, it comes every time in the same spot, just before saving the ready made panorama picture. I have almost 300 gigas free disk space, thats not the problem.

I loaded 1.4 version again, it works perfectly, but I do hope that version 2 will get fixed.

Keep on doing good job.

Jaakko

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2009 1:51 pm 
Administrator

Some news about this issue :
- We found a first problem with panorama that where rendered directly from the batch rendering system. They crash directly at startup. This has been solved.
( could also happen when load a panorama in gpu mode and render it directly ). In cpu mode or after a detection, no crash at starts of the rendering.
- Second problem : smartblend sometimes can crash. We made intensive debugging in this code and found some issue behind. First, it won't happen if you have a lot of memory, it only happen when you are are either constrained by low ram ( 2 Giga for example for huge gigapixels rendering ) or by the system ( 32 bits OS cannot provide you more than 2 Giga even if you have them ). The following advises are just here for low RAM system.
* to prevent crash : reduce the number of cores for rendering gigapixels. 4 is good on win32 with 2 GB ram ( not more ).
* smartblend can use from time to time a lot of memory during a small period of time. So let him do and close other application ! I know I have firefox and outlook opened regularly ( outlook 300 MB, firefox 250 MB, so I would lost 30% of a 2 GB system just with these 2 ... )

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2009 2:28 pm 

AlexandreJ wrote:
- Second problem : smartblend sometimes can crash. We made intensive debugging in this code and found some issue behind. First, it won't happen if you have a lot of memory, it only happen when you are are either constrained by low ram ( 2 Giga for example for huge gigapixels rendering ) or by the system ( 32 bits OS cannot provide you more than 2 Giga even if you have them ). The following advises are just here for low RAM system.
* to prevent crash : reduce the number of cores for rendering gigapixels. 4 is good on win32 with 2 GB ram ( not more ).
* smartblend can use from time to time a lot of memory during a small period of time. So let him do and close other application ! I know I have firefox and outlook opened regularly ( outlook 300 MB, firefox 250 MB, so I would lost 30% of a 2 GB system just with these 2 ... )

Why does this appear to happen with APP/APG V2 and not with APP 1.4.2 on same system, with same image set and same rendering setup?

How does number of cores relate to the problem - I thought Smartblend was single threaded, or perhaps I misunderstand what that means?

Last edited by mediavets on Tue May 12, 2009 2:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2009 2:37 pm 
Administrator

mediavets wrote:
Why does this appear to happen with APP/APG V2 and not with APP 1.4.2 on same system, with same image set and same rendering setup?

For the smartblend crash, I don't know yet.

mediavets wrote:
How does number of cores relate to the problem - I thought Smartblend was single threaded, or perhaps I misunderstand what that means?

Reducing cores solves memory issue around smartblend not in smartblend.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2009 4:38 pm 

I have had the smartblend stall on APP 1.42-64 for the past 2 days. It hangs and the application will not force quit. I have to force the Power off on the computer to reboot.

Mac pro 32gb ram rendering 2-3 GP images.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2009 10:48 am 
Administrator

The hanging is often normal in fact. If a crash occurs, you'll informed about it. The hangs means that the system has been pushed to the last limit and it needs some time to answer again. That's all cause by the fact we are using a technic called file mapping. I don't know any OS that handles these well.