APG Export Pictures (with correction)  

This forum is dedicated to Autopano Pro / Giga bug reports and features discussion.
Please read the posting rules before starting a topic!
no avatar
antonio_apg17

Topic author
Liked in: 0 post
Info

APG Export Pictures (with correction)

by antonio_apg17 » Tue Mar 07, 2017 5:17 pm

Hi,

When using APG 3.x (don't really remember the version now), and exporting as PSD, the pictures can be embedded as layers.
However, there's no perspective correction on them, so basically they are useless as Photoshop layers.

How do I get the Panorama + the Pictures (with all corrections, or at least geometric corrections) as Layers? That way I can use Photoshop masking to remove unwanted stuff.

Also, why is the GUI so slow? My panoramas are not that big (5-6 JPG 5MPixels pictures) yet on a 8 core system with tons of RAM, the GUI is pretty slow.

Finally, what is the recommended workflow for HDR panoramas? merge-to-HDR first, then stitch? I'm worried about the color blending results. Does APG handles 16bit TIFF correctly?

Thanks in advance,

Antonio

olivierbo
Kolor Team

Liked in: 133 posts
Info

Re: APG Export Pictures (with correction)

by olivierbo » Fri Mar 10, 2017 3:55 pm

Hello,

Just select pictures in the rendering window to export individual picts with the corrections.

Be sure GPU processing is enabled and check your GPU driver is also up-to-date and compatible with OpenGL.

We recommend you develop your pictures with a dedicatted software like Photomatix, then add them to Autopano. APG handles 16bits TIFF images but what do you mean by "correctly"?

Best regards,
Olivier

no avatar
antonio_apg17

Topic author
Info

by antonio_apg17 » Fri Mar 10, 2017 4:15 pm

Thanks Olivier.

1) About selecting the pictures for export. I'm not sure I understood where to do that. Do you have any screenshots?
Just to be clear, I would like to get a PSD with the panorama + individual layers for each of the pictures (with correction), is that possible?

2) Yes, GPU is enabled. But it is still lagging. I compared a MacPro 12 cores with a Macbook 2 cores (2.26GHz) and the UI is as sluggish in both of them.
The "sluggishness" presents itself for example, when rotating the panorama, or when trying to move the pictures for alignment. Maybe it is slow because it is dealing with the fullsized picture, and scaling it on-the-fly? These are not so many pixels to move, and gaming on the MacPro is smooth.
It is so slow that moving the pictures in the panorama is a pain, actually it is not usable.
Is the UI written in Qt?
I can try to do a video if I could later post it somewhere.

3) Ok thanks. So basically you recommend merge-to-HDR first (save as 16bit TIFF) and then pano.
I'm a bit worried about the local contrast enhancements usually applied to HDR files, not sure if those are deterministic algorithms that would yield the same adjustments on overlapping areas. I mean, if they don't, then the overlapping areas would have different contrast ratios and could cause issues during the panorama merging.

Thanks in advance!

olivierbo
Kolor Team

Info

by olivierbo » Fri Mar 10, 2017 4:40 pm

Hello,

Yes it is possible (see screenshot attached)

Which version of APG are you using exactly? Which version of OSX, GPU and RAM? Can you try with a v4?

Yes, that's we recommend with HDR pictures. You can also try to stitch your bracketed pictures, render a .hdr file for post-prod and choose what is your preferred worlflow.

Cheers,
Olivier
Attachments
Layers&Pictures.png

no avatar
antonio_apg17

Topic author
Info

by antonio_apg17 » Fri Mar 10, 2017 6:19 pm

Thanks for the quick reply Olivier.

1) In my case, I cannot check "layers", but I do got a PSD with the pictures as layers (I checked "Panorama", "Pictures" and "Embed all outputs"). However, the color correction (exposure compensation) is not applied to them.
Hence, the layers do not have the same colours as the panorama.
It would be very difficult for me to manually match the color correction used by APG, how do I get the layers with the same correction?

By the way, I'm evaluating (borrowed the computer from a friend) Autopano Giga 3.0.8.
The OSX version is Sierra, RAM is 32GB, GPU is NVidia GTX780

I'm not sure I can try with v4 because I would not want to mess up my friend's computer. Usually it is very difficult to get rid of installed programs entirely.

olivierbo
Kolor Team

Info

by olivierbo » Mon Mar 13, 2017 1:49 pm

Hello Antonio,

You do not have the layers option available if you do not have bracketed pictures.
Now, if you want your corrections visible in each pictures/layers of the bracket, you must unticked "Optimize by layers", "Properties" section of the "Color correction tool".

I'm not sure we can sell a v3 license as it is an old version...

Cheers,
Olivier

no avatar
antonio_apg17

Topic author
Info

by antonio_apg17 » Mon Mar 13, 2017 2:21 pm

Thanks Olivier.

I unchecked "Preferences" -> "Panorama" -> "Color correction by layers", but I still get pictures (layers) that are not color corrected. Is that what you meant or did I miss something?
Note that I'm not using bracketed pictures.

I understand you cannot sell v3 (although, DxO usually makes older versions of their software available for free from time to time), I was just saying that I'm evaluating v3, and that I'm not sure I can install v4 trial.
If I'm happy with v3 (which so far is giving me issues with the PSD layers -and UI sluggishness-) I may consider v4, otherwise it gets harder, because I do not intend to color-correct (or perspective-correct) the PSD layers manually.
So if you have advice on how to get a "good" (as in "useful") PSD with layers, please let me know.

olivierbo
Kolor Team

Info

by olivierbo » Tue Mar 14, 2017 1:39 pm

Here is what I get with APG 3.7.1 (original pict on the left)
What don't you try APG 4 exactly?

Cheers,
Olivier
Attachments
Individual_pict_APG371(expo-correction).png

no avatar
antonio_apg17

Topic author
Info

by antonio_apg17 » Mon Mar 20, 2017 12:23 pm

Thanks for your reply Olivier.
So if I understood correctly, only APG 4 handles PSD layers correctly (i.e.: it applies them perspective *AND* color correction) ? Simple "yes" or "no" question.

I'm unclear about what to think about this feature since I already explained that it is not working as expected (lacks color correction) on v3.

Thanks in advance.