Lens Correction not working properly in Giga  

This forum is dedicated to Autopano Pro / Giga bug reports and features discussion.
Please read the posting rules before starting a topic!
no avatar
pedrom

Topic author
Liked in: 0 post
Info

Lens Correction not working properly in Giga

by pedrom » Thu Jan 12, 2017 4:59 pm

Specifically, chromatic aberration fix doesn't seem to have any effect on my images. Geometric distortion and vignetting seem to work fine.
Not all .lcp files work. Some make APG crash. They all work fine in Photoshop in Windows, it just seems to be in APG for Linux (Centos 6.8) that I get problems.
Sure, I could make the corrections in PS and then go back to APG, but that doesn't really suit the pipeline at all. I would much prefer if I could stay in Linux land and use APG for all stages.

Using Autopano Giga 64bit 3.7.1

Any help would be much appreciated.

olivierbo
Kolor Team

Liked in: 106 posts
Info

Re: Lens Correction not working properly in Giga

by olivierbo » Fri Jan 13, 2017 10:50 am

Hello,

APG does not make any correction of chromatic aberrations, it is stitching software. We are able to make some correction on color, exposure, vignetting & gradient to get something homogenic.
Also, we do not support CentOS even if it may work. Our tests are conducted on Ubuntu. Have you tied with a recent version of APG?

Best regards,
Olivier

no avatar
pedrom

Topic author
Info

by pedrom » Fri Jan 13, 2017 1:10 pm

Hi Oliver,

Thanks for the reply. I was more talking about the Lens Correction in Plugin Wizard.
If APG does not make chromatic aberration corrections, why does the option exist? Or is this plugin out of your hands and really a question for Adobe?
Please see attached image
APG_lensCorrection.png
Screen grab from APG displaying Chromatic aberration option

Thanks!
P

olivierbo
Kolor Team

Info

by olivierbo » Fri Jan 13, 2017 1:25 pm

Hello,

Thanks for the details. I thought you were talking about the basic workfow. This plugin can correct some errors but it is not powerful enough to replace a dedicated tool to correct complex issues.
Do you have some issues with your pano? Does your lens not recognized by Autopano?

Best,
Olivier

no avatar
pedrom

Topic author
Info

by pedrom » Fri Jan 13, 2017 2:03 pm

No, the stitch is fine - I love APG!
The only issue is getting rid of the chromatic aberration from the original photos. I can remove them in Photoshop (win7) with the same Lens Correction plugin from Adobe. But the plugin doesn't work properly in APG (centos). I would rather avoid switching OS and software, and get everything done in APG.
Unfortunately I can't share any of my images with you to try, but perhaps you could perform a simple test for me on Ubuntu APG?
Load any images into APG and load the Lens Correction plugin. Assign any .lcp file to the Lens Profile (preferably a wide lens profile like sigma 8mm to see maximum changes) and tick the Chromatic Aberration box. Does anything happen? In my case it does absolutely nothing - not just a poor result - but no change at all. Of course, with a random image and random lens profile you won't get a correct result, but I would like to know if you see anything happen at all?

Thanks,
P

olivierbo
Kolor Team

Info

by olivierbo » Fri Jan 13, 2017 3:54 pm

Hello,

Not sure results will differ from centOS to Ubuntu or any other OS (I assume you have installed the CentOS version of APG?).
If I can find some time to test it I will do it. You can also install a virtual machine as well.

Best,
Olivier